The new, new Deathfire Grasp.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

first time Vayne

12-04-2012

So Riot made a big deal about nerfing DfG recently, but they didn't say much of a peep about the changes that came to it in the Preseason patch last night.

Deathfire Grasp
+100 Ability Power
+15% Cooldown Reduction

Unique Active - Deals 15% of target champion's maximum health in magic damage and amplifies all magic damage they take by 20% for 4 seconds. 60 second cooldown (750 range).

So, what do you think of the new DfG? Personally, I like it. The problem with the original (the one before the nerf) was the overpowered active. It basically gave all the Eves, Katarinas, Ahris, and God forbid Veigars out there a second ulti-level ability. I believe Riot went too far when they nerfed the whole item, though, and it's frequency of use tanked. Since then, they seem to have realized this too. In last night's patch, they gave it back its base stats, including the vital cooldown reduction and a welcome buff to the ability power, and they reigned in that active by removing all scaling from it.

The item is now more viable in the early game, when champs didn't have enough AP to fully utilize the scaling version, but it's not overpowered in the late game.. I expect it to be a part of many AP mid builds now, but for different reasons than before. Instead of buying it for nuking with the direct damage, I predict people will use it for the cdr, the 100 AP, and especially that 20% magic damage amplification.

This is an excellent example of balancing in the works right before our eyes. An item was too powerful in some situations, so it got nerfed. But it ended up being underpowered, so Riot reexamined exactly what about it was causing the original issue and revised it a second time. I like the result, and I think we can learn a lesson from it. Improvement takes time, hard work, and mistakes.

Again, this is my opinion. Thoughts? Anyone still think it's under/overpowered?

LoudFootSteps

12-04-2012

Actually, it looks more viable. I am tempted to use it on Fizz for the cooldown and active that increases burst damage.

first time Vayne

12-05-2012

Yea, I'm excited for it too. This item has been really controversial lately, so I'm curious to see what people think of the latest change.

It's practically the offensive counterpart to Zonya's Hourglass now. Same AP bonus, but instead of armor and invulnerability, you get cdr and that damage-amplifying active.

Exprima

12-05-2012

Seems viable on TF again.

AskKarthus

12-05-2012

I think we will see it more again because most AP items don't offer this much damage. Most got a nerf, this one got buffed, so I think it will become very common.

ChickenArise

12-05-2012

Swain

SublimeSmoke

12-05-2012

Vladimir, nuff said, ult and dfg is a huge damage % increase

Joe Krake

12-05-2012

they made people actually want to spend money on it. So I'm all for it.