Are zoo's morally wrong?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Light LaserTower

12-05-2012

Their "cages" are pretty massive... One could say it's the same thing as a house cat.

Sailor Cosmos

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel J View Post
I think it's pretty ****ed up to cage animals for our amusement and they have to spend all their days in the same place doing the same thing until they die from complications from the processed food they are fed and lack of exercise, but they cannot be released into the while now can they?
^

Kohana Sushi

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzi View Post
I believe there are sanctioned rules in place to prevent things like this from happening. Most zoos provide mentally and physically stimulating activities for animals to access their food [the same way they would need to in the wild] and must follow guidelines for pen-sizes and habitats for animals to allow for adequate exercise area.

I also believe a significant subset of zoo animals are rescued because of injuries, disabilities, etc. or bred in captivity, and thus would not survive in a natural setting.
To add to that, I'm pretty sure zoo animals live longer, processed food or not.

Kohana Sushi

12-05-2012

Here is how I view zoos: if they are trying to help the ecology by increasing the population of an endangered animal or if they are just helping an injured animal, I think that's fine; the purpose of the zoo in that case is to have revenue to fund helping the animals.

I think it's messed up to just capture the animals purely for the sake of entertainment.

Sailor Cosmos

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruity Flowers View Post
Here is how I view zoos: if they are trying to help the ecology by increasing the population of an endangered animal or if they are just helping an injured animal, I think that's fine; the purpose of the zoo in that case is to have revenue to fund helping the animals.

I think it's messed up to just capture there animals purely for the sake of entertainment.
^

Elan Tedronai

12-05-2012

If you don't like animals in cages go to one of these kinds of zoos.

Attachment 568879

gankas kon

12-05-2012

They're animals...

As long add they have a humane habitat I really doubt it even matters to them. My dog is terrified to leave our back yard. Is it immoral that we keep him caged there?

Is it immoral to keep our fish in a tank? Should I put them in the ocean?

Kroda13

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse Sized Duck View Post
So for your amusement? So me locking up a bunch of mentally challenged kids in a cage for my amusement is morally acceptable, as long as I take care of them?

No animals don't have the same rights as humans nor should they. Don't get me wrong I don't think they should be abused either or mistreated they are still living beings but they are not our equals.

BeastHarlot

12-05-2012

The Henry Doorly Zoo just put in a netted "tunnel" system throughout a few parts of the zoo for the orangutans. c: They're so cute.

I personally only find zoos who treat the animals improperly immoral. Nowadays, zoos purchase animals who were bred in captivity instead of catching them anyway. The majority of the animals would just die if they were set free. Thus, we take care of them.

Colonel J

12-05-2012

Despite my distaste with zoos, I sure do love me some petting zoos!
<3