Are zoo's morally wrong?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Horse Sized Duck

Member

12-04-2012

Yea? No?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jaykoboy

Senior Member

12-04-2012

No.

*Is totally not biased simply because his hometown contains the world's best zoo, namely the San Diego Zoo*


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sailor Cosmos

Senior Member

12-04-2012

Yes.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Colonel J

Senior Member

12-04-2012

I think it's pretty ****ed up to cage animals for our amusement and they have to spend all their days in the same place doing the same thing until they die from complications from the processed food they are fed and lack of exercise, but they cannot be released into the while now can they?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Quision

Member

12-04-2012

Everyone has different morals so you'll probably get different answers.

IMO, they are not wrong. Just as long as they're taken care of and all.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

poe tay toes

Senior Member

12-04-2012

well funded and maintained zoos are fine. crummy animal prisons are not. thumbs up for the san diego zoo, those animals live better than i do from everything i saw.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Horse Sized Duck

Member

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeppaNil View Post
Everyone has different morals so you'll probably get different answers.

IMO, they are not wrong. Just as long as they're taken care of and all.
Well no, we don't really have different morals. It's just what we THINK is moral.

How aren't they wrong? They are taking animals out of their natural habitat to live in a cage.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Quision

Member

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse Sized Duck View Post
Well no, we don't really have different morals. It's just what we THINK is moral.

How aren't they wrong? They are taking animals out of their natural habitat to live in a cage.
The amount of smiles those animals bring to me outweighs how much I care about that. Just as long as they are well taken care of.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Horse Sized Duck

Member

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeppaNil View Post
The amount of smiles those animals bring to me outweighs how much I care about that. Just as long as they are well taken care of.
So for your amusement? So me locking up a bunch of mentally challenged kids in a cage for my amusement is morally acceptable, as long as I take care of them?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gazzi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel J View Post
they have to spend all their days in the same place doing the same thing until they die from complications from the processed food they are fed and lack of exercise?
I believe there are sanctioned rules in place to prevent things like this from happening. Most zoos provide mentally and physically stimulating activities for animals to access their food [the same way they would need to in the wild] and must follow guidelines for pen-sizes and habitats for animals to allow for adequate exercise area.

I also believe a significant subset of zoo animals are rescued because of injuries, disabilities, etc. or bred in captivity, and thus would not survive in a natural setting.