New Patch, New Meta! Challenge me if you dare ...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Great Pyrenees

12-04-2012

So what do we know about the new patch?
1) Armor, Mr, Attk speed all got hit with 10-20% cost inflations.
2) Mpen, Armor pen are now critical stats as they do roughly 25% more damage.
3) Hps, Dmg, AP all have 10-20% cost reductions.
4) The jungle is very hard in the first clear if the jungler is not tank speced.
5) Support and jungle have new ways of earning/saving gold, and recieve higher ambient gold!

So what was the old meta?
1 Tanky jungle
1 Ap mid
1 ADC bot
1 Support bot
1 Bruiser top

How do we apply the changes in the game to the meta?
We must ask ourselves what is currently happening now?
People are getting their faces melted off by AP mages and Bruisers who go glass cannon!

So here is the first idea for the new meta!
1 Bruiser Jungle with hard cc who gets help with first clear and spec's heavy into dmg
1 Bruiser top who goes glass cannon spec heavy into dmg tree and some def
1 AP mid who goes glass cannon spec heavy into dmg tree and some def
1 APC bottom who goes glass cannon spec heavy into dmg tree and some def
1 Support bottom with a lot of harass

Or a second Idea for the new meta!
1 Bruiser Jungle hard cc heavy dmg
1 Bruiser top heavy dmg
1 AP mid heavy dmg
1 ADC bottom heavy dmg
1 APC bottom supporting but not taking cs! A mage kill lane combo bottom!

Example of Old Meta
Mundo
Ryze
Graves
Soraka
Jayce

Example of New Meta version 1
Reneckton Jungle hard cc and mobility
Olaf top soft cc high sustain
Brand Mid hard cc burst
Ahri Bottom high burst
AP Sona support focusing on poke instead of sustain

Example of New Meta version 2
Warwick Jungle bruiser dps build suppression
Riven top dps build
Swain Mid AP dps build
Gangplank ADC heavy dps
Malz AP bottom dps build Supporting

The key to season two will be two things. 1) Bursting down the enemy before they burst you down, no more 2 tank teams. 2) Suppressing a target with a hard cc (Or a suppress ability) and then picking them off before the enemy team can react and then taking a objective. Mages and Bruisers who go glass cannon this season will be rewarded in dividends and the most bursty teams will win this season. So old champs who were once forgotten will be back with a vengence such as: Swain, Talon, Annie, Brand, Malz, Warwick and dare I say it Fiddlesticks! Come at me with your best thoughts on Season 3 meta!

lastchancexi

12-04-2012

1) I'm finding it a lot harder to jungle now. The S2 pressure that you could constantly put on that led to champs like Skarner and Maokai becoming real strong is gone. Also, Sightstone is RIDICULOUS. Everyone but ADC is going to get it, and you can't possibly gank anywhere because every team IS going to ward you out. All you can do is farm and do nothing. (but maybe my build is way off).

2) Some of the new items seem very strong. Blade of the Ruined King, Sword of the Divine, Liandry's Torment, Iceborn Gauntlet, Shard of True Ice, the above mentioned Sightstone. Some items with some champs are totally abusive.

Great Pyrenees

12-04-2012

Point 1) On Udyr I went 100% utility and without a leash i finished my side in 3:55. With the extra gold buy a Oracles first!! If everyone buys sightstone you will be SOOO rich. Btw at 3:55 I already ganked mid and was deciding on top or bot next =).

Point 2) Yes we still have a lot to learn from new items and it is very exciting.

Thank you for your excellent discussion. But what do you think of the actual meta?

Judas Priest

12-04-2012

So... do you think there is no more space for tanks?

I had the same impression when I read all the items carefully. It's much more difficult to build Armor and MR now, and even if you build, there are items which deal HP% damage and even true damage over time, so it will be really difficult to be able to tank team fights in this season....

BiteChickens

12-05-2012

I really think Varus will become more popular now that Hurricane lets him throw stacks of Blighted Quiver on 3 things at once... it seems broken it's so good!

Zodai

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitechickens View Post
i really think varus will become more popular now that hurricane lets him throw stacks of blighted quiver on 3 things at once... It seems broken it's so good!
HOLY SH*T!

I can't believe I didn't think of that!

UknowsI

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Pyrenees View Post
Point 1) On Udyr I went 100% utility and without a leash i finished my side in 3:55. With the extra gold buy a Oracles first!! If everyone buys sightstone you will be SOOO rich. Btw at 3:55 I already ganked mid and was deciding on top or bot next =).

Point 2) Yes we still have a lot to learn from new items and it is very exciting.

Thank you for your excellent discussion. But what do you think of the actual meta?
The 50 gold bonus from the utility tree is a godsend for junglers. I have been running it so far with Udyr as well. Not sure what the best starting items are, but I've been using Machete+Flask mostly, but I might adjust this when I come up with some decent build paths. 21 utility and MS quints gives you 7.5%/10.5% bonus speed, which is basically level 1 boots.

The deep defensive tree masteries doesn't help that much early game, but they are very strong late game. Haven't ruled them out quite yet...

Judas Priest

12-05-2012

The defense tree is important for early game too. I tryed to jungle as Malphite with marks, seals and quint armors and zero points in masteries, and I died for blue (it was just a test in custom game). So it seems that without masteries we won't be able to jungle.

Great Pyrenees

12-05-2012

So i tried jungling and using defensive tree and I got shredded by the aps and ads. It doesnt seem to matter how far ahead I get early game I just cannot build tank fast enough. So yes I am thinking new meta is utility junglers possibly bruisers dps instead of tank initiation.

Elier

12-05-2012

I jungled with pantheon the other day with hunters machete + 5 pots and it turned out very good for the lv2 gank. The fact that you now don't need the boots is huge!

Then I upgraded to spirit stone and I could keep my HP up all the time and spam spears at the monsters without blue. That led to better ganks/counterjungling, I owned the enemy xin (jungler) and helped our darius dominate top vs the enemy jayce. We still lose due to our mid feeding their lux and awful adc, but still...

I think that overall, junglers are more powerful now (at least some of them), and the lv2 gank pressure is now even more, because the jungler doesn't need boots so he can start with damage items.

Edit: my masteries were 21/1/8, +15 flat AD marks/quints, armor yellows, MR blues...