Forced Queue Dodges From Champ Select: A Solution

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tammy Suzanna

12-04-2012

I play at around the 1500 ELO bracket, but from what I've seen, queue dodge trolling is common throughout nearly all ELO brackets under the top 1%. What I'm talking about are individuals who take troll summoners and threaten to afk, thus forcing someone else to take the dodge timer or suffer a loss in ELO. The first time you dodge, you get a 30 minute queue timer, but subsequent dodges give you a 1 hour queue timer. In Season 2, I wanted gold enough that I automatically took these dodges if somebody was threatening to feed, leading to several days where I faced 3+ hours of dodge timers. I took screenshots in a few of these instances and submitted reports via this website's report system, but I often felt I was the only individual doing so, and as Riot only promises an investigation, there's no way of knowing whether anything is being accomplished from champ select reports. Basically, it's almost too much work to be worth going through. You've already been punished because someone else was being a bad sport, and now you have to go throw a lengthy form submission process to even get the incident looked into.

Recently I submitted another report along with the suggestion that a report feature be added directly into champ select, and after getting the standard response asking me to post this to the forums, I wrote back to a Player Support Rep, Alzix. I told him this issue was a common topic both on these forums and on reddit, and to my knowledge it hadn't been addressed yet. He came back and told me he had gotten several other reports recently which included similar issues with champ select, and that he had been forwarding them to the proper places. In light of this, I've opted to start yet another thread, hoping for some sort of Riot response.

My suggestion is that a report player button be added to champ select. Somebody is already threatening to feed/taking troll summoners all because they didn't get their role of choice or because they're just not in the mood to play nice? Click the report player button. If three or more players on a team push this button and submit reports, the queue is automatically dodged and the reported player gets a queue timer. The report is submitted with reason for submission text, the champ select chat log, and all picks/bans and summoners recorded up until the report was made and the dodge executed.

Later, the tribunal would analyze the case, as per usual, and deem whether or not the reported player deserves some form of punishment in accordance with the summoners code. In order to avoid abuse of this system, players who frequently report other players, who do not end up being in violation of the summoners code would suffer similar punishment from the tribunal for abusing the system. I guess this would be if you had some significant number of failed reports where the tribunal then decided that you were using the report feature to force other people into queue timers yourself.

I think this feature borders on a necessity, as about 20% of the games I get into feature some form of dodge trolling. I also believe that current champ select report statistics may be significantly lower than they actually are, because the system used for such reports are tedious to use. I'd much rather just browse the web or play super meatboy while I wait out my queue than spend 20 minutes going through the website report feature.

Gimmetoro

12-04-2012

I never write on the forums, but I came on just to post about this issue. Thankfully, it looks like I'm not the only one having it. The main problem in my case is that I play LoL because (its fun) the games are predicable in length, between 20-40 minutes typically. I work full time and go to night school and my schedule is jam packed, so sometimes I only have time for a single game. It's extremely frustrating when people troll during selection and I have to choose to either play the game out and waste at least 20 minutes, if not more (of the time that I have SPECIFICALLY blocked out for a single game) or queue dodge, lose ELO and still potentially not have enough time to play a complete game (I won't start one unless I know I will have at least 30+ minutes to finish). Again, it's extremely frustrating that I work hard all day, go to school all evening, then come home and want to relax and get a single game in before bed and my time is ruined by trolls. Please implement something like Vesi is suggesting or something else to rectify this situation. Thank you.

Vrykonik

12-04-2012

I usually don't dodge which might be a big mistake... that being said sometimes you play people with troll summoners and they still end up being the best person on your team. But I don't think it is unfair that we ask that champ selection screen requires different behavior standard than in game. I think there needs to be a code for champion select as you got the "I called it first" crowd and the "It is selection order stupid" crowd. Both are immature ways of resolution, but only the latter actually has game mechanics on their side. This needs to be addressed too, maybe while banning selection is going on everyone gets to a box to vote their preferences and those who have conflicts get to talk it out in private rather than the rest of us knowing about it. That way the two immature people can decide whether to dodge or work the problem out. Not sure there is a good option there... Do you vote punish for the "I called it first" person? Or the "It is champ selection order" crowd? Sadly there would be no consistency in a tribunal case like this so I think there needs to be some rules sat down in place first.

Tammy Suzanna

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrykonik View Post
Do you vote punish for the "I called it first" person? Or the "It is champ selection order" crowd? Sadly there would be no consistency in a tribunal case like this so I think there needs to be some rules sat down in place first.
Well, confusion also persists in this particular issue. I've had games where three people thought they were jungling, and in the end nobody was at fault. Unfortunately, none of the players guilty of miscommunication dodged, and I bit the bullet that game. (It was a skarner, mundo, shyvanna. There weren't many options for them outside of a double jungle with shyvana pushing top to keep the jungler distracted while we raided their jungle. The team already wasn't communicating well, so I figured this would end in failure. Pick order already takes precedence over call order in champ select in accordance with the summoner's code, however. Making this visible in champ select could be helpful, but in the end I'm not too concerned about people fighting over roles. It's people who fight over roles and then troll the group to get what they want via a forced dodge that bothers me.

I usually copy paste a polite message at the opening of champ select, which states my best role and my willingness to take other roles if needed. People who go into champ select only willing to do one role or they go afk deserve bans in my opinion. This system would solve that problem rapidly.

The issue in the end is that people go into champ select knowing that they can force any issue they want by trolling, knowing punishment is extremely unlikely. It has little to do with fighting over mid or top, and far more with losing that argument and deliberately ****ing over 4 people before the game even starts.

Whether or not the player with troll summoners does well in a game where a dodge doesn't come through is entirely irrelevant. IWillDominate was an excellent jungler, by any standard, but his toxicity was enough to render him a year ban. You can go 21-0 in a game and carry the worst players in League and I'd still say you deserve a ban if you're griefing those players and making threats. Skill<Attitude.

Mushiiez

12-04-2012

WELL for one thing, this is a leaver buster issue and nothing to do with tribunal...

EDIT: If you continue the game and not dodge, you can report them for trolling aka* refusal to communicate, assisting enemy team.
Then it becomes a tribunal issue.

Tammy Suzanna

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushie Magic View Post
WELL for one thing, this is a leaver buster issue and nothing to do with tribunal...

EDIT: If you continue the game and not dodge, you can report them for trolling aka* refusal to communicate, assisting enemy team.
Then it becomes a tribunal issue.

Leaver Buster issue or not, this is a better and more transparent solution to a systemic problem. There should be no need to enter into a game when champ select has already presented a toxic environment. Basically, you can either dodge and face a queue timer or stay and endure a toxic player and a match which you are probably more likely to lose already, due to a frustrated team. As I see it, your solution of putting a case like this through the tribunal requires players deliberately sacrificing a good time on summoners rift in order to then report a player to the tribunal based on champ select evidence which is hearsay, as champ select is not included in Tribunal cases in the first place.

MisterWolfe

12-06-2012

The problem is, wether or not they are paying members, there seems to be at least a majority ratio of games that have a troll in them, especially at the lower elo. Why should legitimate players trying to build their elo be forced to endure games with trolls, or be punished by a dodge queue penalty?

Sure, Riot thinks that punishment through Tribunal works, it does, but it's not a deterrent, in many cases I've reviewed for the trubunal, you can see the reported player saying that he/she doesn't care if the tribunal bans them because they have other accounts, or that they've been banned before.

There needs to be a PREVENTATIVE measure, something that makes trolls think, or pushes them out of the game long enough to let the players who enjoy the game, and who Riot SHOULD be supporting to play without the toxic players destroying from the begining

Ed Khil

12-07-2012

A built in coin-flip/straw drawing mechanic would be cool. 2 people want top? Flip for it. Theres a troll and you need to dodge but cant decide who takes the queue timer? Draw straws.

Critwrench

12-07-2012

This is something that gets me, actually. Both in the before and after-game chat, people basically have free license to be jerkbags. Why?

Because the Tribunal reports can't see there.

In the aftergame is one thing; you can at least immediately follow it up with a report if they're a jerk, or otherwise abusive. The worst problem is the pregame, which needs a solution besides "Send it to the Tribunal".