Is it just me or is farming (becoming) obsolete?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

UF Reapingz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-18-2012

Like, i know for a fact that it was much harder when i started playing LoL - Maybe i just got better @ farming and i don't realize how much i've progressed? Maybe. But i am starting to think that these new items, particularly the tiamat are making farming a bit too.. easy. Furthermore, with cheaper build paths, i feel like anyone can scale fairly decently with minimum farm - I'm just concerned with how Riot wants to deal with this "diminishing skill requirement" for farming.. Yes, yes - I know this is a team game and there's much more to it than JUST farming - but in regards to this one aspect, i am concerned.

Martyrofsand

12-18-2012

You might want to think about your terminology. Farming in general is something pretty much every champ in the game makes more and more brainless as the game goes on. What you seem to be more annoyed with is how easy last hitting is, and honestly I still feel that in the early going last hitting is pretty even, and it really doesn't bother me with how easy farming can become between Tiamat/Static Shiv/etc around as I've felt it's always been rather easy.

JeanieYuss

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-18-2012

I just like to remember the words of the great Shurelia.

Random Youtube commenter: "Shu, you farm like an old man!"
Shurelia: "I prefer to farm Champions"

IonDragonX

12-18-2012

There is a trend away from last hitting, that is true. I believe that roaming and two top (or two mid) have a little more validity. That said, last hitting early and more often is still the dominant strategy.

Barso55

12-18-2012

yeah the game is going far wawy from rts and too much into the battle arena mentality

still fun <3

but for how long? an rts has more stying power than LoL

Baughwssery

12-18-2012

karthus still farms

67chrome

12-18-2012

There's still elements of strategy involved in utilizing AoE damage to early - you'll end up pushing your lane incredibly fast with minimal effort. If you don't deal tons of damage the AoE can also make optimal last-hitting harder, were you're more or less guaranteed a higher floor for CS but not necessarily a higher ceiling.

But as far as farm = skill, that's...a pretty boring place to have skills in, IMO - and basically the reason to play maps like Dominion or Proving Grounds instead of Summoner's Rift. Whatever skill last-hitting involves is usually negated by the item advantage you gain from it as well. If you're champion is 20% stronger than an enemy, you can be 20% more idiotic and lacking skill when facing them and still end up winning. Which isn't particularly exciting, because "skill" involved in farming more or less moves actual skill away from fighting. Honestly I'd like to see a greater emphasis on proper positioning, juking, pincer moves, lane harassment and overall battle strategy over timing the killing blow on wave after wave of mindless foes. Making farming less important makes your reflexes more important - and moves the game closer to a first-person-shooter feel were you win from skill and map awareness, and away from the dull RPG feel were you win simply because your boredom threshold allowed you to run a certain dungeon 250 times more than the next guy.

Akira Kid41

12-20-2012

CS just does not have the same presence and impact that it did in season 2. It does still have an impact, and the pros will still be doing it. Since the jungle is more rewarding and difficult, securing position for optimal ganks is ever more valuable. I don't know about you scrubs, but when I'm jungling now and have teammates with their opponents pushed to their towers, calling for me to gank, I politely tell them to **** off, "I have better things to do".