Support runes/masteries/items in S3?

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Qsario

Senior Member

12-04-2012

Is there any consensus about a good support setup for S3? I main Janna and the way things are looking, I'll probably still want to go 0/9/21, probably the same runes and I may start running heal/flash. I'm guessing that my start will probably be faerie charm + flask for the sustain. Then rush philo stone, boots, then sightstone -> ruby sightstone?

After that I'm less sure, but kage's into shard of true ice looks good, then probably aegis/shureliya. Boots are likely to be Merc. Threads most of the time, less sure if I'll be enchanting them. Chalice -> Mikael's Crucible also seems like a good item, but a bit expensive, not sure where it fits in the build order or if I'll have that kind of money, but maybe the passive gold will help out a lot.

What build order / setup are people having luck with in S3?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bmore04

Junior Member

12-04-2012

http://www.mobafire.com/


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

istiir

Junior Member

12-04-2012

I main janna/sona as well. I've been using 0/9/21 and it works pretty well. I've been thinking about building straight AP with sona because with the masteries I'm able to get good items fast. They did add a lot of stuff for supports too, though, and I've only played a few games so I'm not sure.

I like the masteries that give you starting ward/biscuit, because then you have more gold to play around with early on. I came here with the same intention as you, to find out what has worked for people, so I'm probably not too much help.

And to the guy who posted above, don't post links to websites. This is a discussion so we can get opinions of fellow players first hand. That's what this forum is for.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kavrae

Senior Member

12-04-2012

What I'm looking at right now; naturally this is all subject to minor changes based on the individual champion and matchups.

Masteries
4/0/26
Artificer for Mikael's, Shard of True Ice, Shyulra's, etc
Gold and Exp obviously
10% CDR
I REALLY like all the options in this tree.

Summoner Spells
Heal + Clairvoyance
Heal is much better since it now gives 100% to allies and the continued vision on Clairvoyance is amazing for knowing not only where they are, but which direction they're going.

Starting Build (515 gold from utility)
Faerie Charm
3x Sight Ward
2x Health Potion
1x Mana Potion
Biscuit (free)
Explorer Ward (free)

Late Build
Too variant on the carry, enemy comp, etc to really say, but rushing Kage's and Philosopher's will be fairly common.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Qsario

Senior Member

12-04-2012

Not only are there no S3 items in those guides, a quick search for Janna shows builds with Leviathan, Atma and Soul Shroud....

Yes, the ADC Janna is a fun troll build thanks to her huge +AD steroid from the shield but good luck getting through early game and farming up when your attack is on par with a caster minion and your attack speed is probably lower.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Qsario

Senior Member

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavrae View Post
What I'm looking at right now; naturally this is all subject to minor changes based on the individual champion and matchups.

Masteries
4/0/26
Artificer for Mikael's, Shard of True Ice, Shyulra's, etc
Gold and Exp obviously
10% CDR
I REALLY like all the options in this tree.

Summoner Spells
Heal + Clairvoyance
Heal is much better since it now gives 100% to allies and the continued vision on Clairvoyance is amazing for knowing not only where they are, but which direction they're going.

Starting Build (515 gold from utility)
Faerie Charm
3x Sight Ward
2x Health Potion
1x Mana Potion
Biscuit (free)
Explorer Ward (free)

Late Build
Too variant on the carry, enemy comp, etc to really say, but rushing Kage's and Philosopher's will be fairly common.
I tend to use potions a lot. Don't you think you could sacrifice an early ward for the flask, given that junglers should take longer to gank?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kavrae

Senior Member

12-04-2012

I've considered it Qsario and I'm still not entirely sure either way. I'll need more time to test both starts; preferably with both early and late ganking junglers.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

istiir

Junior Member

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsario View Post
I tend to use potions a lot. Don't you think you could sacrifice an early ward for the flask, given that junglers should take longer to gank?
Easily. I would do it in a heartbeat, really. If you have the mastery that grants you the biscuit and ward for free, then you can sacrifice a health bot and a ward, and still have what you normally would. I personally don't use health pots a lot (I prefer sustain champs like sona who can heal themselves) but if you think you will use a lot of pots through the game than the flask is worth it's weight in gold.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kavrae

Senior Member

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifancytacos View Post
Easily. I would do it in a heartbeat, really. If you have the mastery that grants you the biscuit and ward for free, then you can sacrifice a health bot and a ward, and still have what you normally would. I personally don't use health pots a lot (I prefer sustain champs like sona who can heal themselves) but if you think you will use a lot of pots through the game than the flask is worth it's weight in gold.
Only after going back once. Don't see profits over potions until the third time back, at which point you're out of the laning phase and it's lost its usefulness. That's the main benefit of starting potions + ward instead.

EDIT
Starting both Faerie Charm + Rejuvenation Bead is also an option for rushing a Philosopher's Stone, but it means a LOT less in the way of potions and wards. Might be a few times to use this, but probably very few.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

istiir

Junior Member

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavrae View Post
Only after going back once. Don't see profits over potions until the third time back, at which point you're out of the laning phase and it's lost its usefulness. That's the main benefit of starting potions + ward instead.
That's true. Like I said, I don't find myself using potions too often. I usually can kick 'em after the first three, but if you do then it is valuable. It also restores mana, which is great.

On an unrelated note, what do you guys think of getting a tear of the goddess or AA on sona? It's not a very support-y item, but the extra mana will let you easily spam spells, and since sona has such low cooldowns she can almost be constantly poking from a distance.


12