IWillDominate Tribunal Permaban & eSports Competition Ruling

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MathMage

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitingpig View Post
Relevant Rules:
The Summoner's Code establishes the standards of behavior for all League of Legends players.
This is the part that troubles me. The only set of rules cited is the Summoner's Code? That says nothing about what consequences pros face as pros for misbehavior in ordinary games.

Yes, it's long past time to hold pro players meaningfully accountable for their in-game behavior, but the question is, did IWillDominate know he could be held accountable in this fashion? Is there a clear, explicit set of regulations under which pros know they can be suspended from competition due to Tribunal judgments, laid down by either Riot or the team sponsors?

If there is, then fine. If IWD roasted himself, he deserves to burn.

But if there isn't? Then you just made an example of IWD without actually solving the problem.

Riot, please tell me you didn't just push this through in response to IWD's permaban. Please tell me there's a preexisting code that legitimizes this punishment, one that the pros know about. Or, at the very least, please tell me you've got one in the works, to be released before the next major tournament. Otherwise, you're just screwing over the players that comprise your eSports scene.

Skyelar

12-04-2012

Riot should be handling this like other professional Sports. Perma-banning a pro player is ridiculous and the fact that they're singling out a pro player to make an example out of them is over the top. Suspend him from a tournament or two, perhaps even fine him if he wants to compete in tournaments but acting like a brand new prosecutor that's out to prove themselves (in this case the entire drive for Player Behavior & E-sports) is uncalled for and complete amateur hour.

I understand the white knight forum junkies will pat Riot on the back for this, but I think it's pretty pathetic that they're going this route and also clearly made this public for PR purposes.

Xesante

12-04-2012

Froggen's like "sheeet"

Noblepeasant

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari Arisu View Post
Having an argument with a friend here, does Riot have the legal rights to do this?
Is there anything IWD could possibly gain out of a lawsuit or anything here?
He violated the summoners Code, and received a ban. How could their be legal recourse?

Sn0wY

12-04-2012

wow ok

im done *****ing about the tribunal now. You finally have done what was causing me to grief 24/7 about the tribunal. Above 1900 elo you could do anything and not be banned where as if u were at 1500 or 1200 the rules differed. Thank you for doing this.

A Wild Magikarp

12-04-2012

Thank you for setting this example. I've seen some featured streams lately and the toxicity in some of those games is astounding (some are clearly friends just messing with each other but there are some with outright hate in them as well). That will only lead to a trickle down of bad behavior to the rest of the community. LoL has never promoted itself as the game to flex your epeen in. Let's work to keep it that way.

Sn0wY

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noblepeasant View Post
He violated the summoners Code, and received a ban. How could their be legal recourse?

yea this is the internet when u open your client u accepted terms of service, inside those terms somewhere you agreed that you agree that riot can change these terms whenever they want.

Noblepeasant

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyelar View Post
Riot should be handling this like other professional Sports. Perma-banning a pro player is ridiculous and the fact that they're singling out a pro player to make an example out of them is over the top. Suspend him from a tournament or two, perhaps even fine him if he wants to compete in tournaments but acting like a brand new prosecutor that's out to prove themselves (in this case the entire drive for Player Behavior & E-sports) is uncalled for and complete amateur hour.

I understand the white knight forum junkies will pat Riot on the back for this, but I think it's pretty pathetic that they're going this route and also clearly made this public for PR purposes.
His account was Permabanned (just like anyone else has happen to them)

He was suspended from pro play for a year. THIS is along the lines of what you would see in professional sports. (IE Baseball with Steroids, Football with Conduct Policy).

It's not a lifetime ban from League - he just has to create a new account, and wait a year before he can play a pro game agian.

Kogyaru

12-04-2012

And this is why I continue to support Riot.

Mind, Body and soul ( including my bank account).

Good job Riot.

Retsopmi

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyelar View Post

Really? This is no different then the Saints headcoach getting removed from the NFL for a year. When something like this happens, especially at the pro level, a first time harsh penalty has to be levied. Otherwise it will never stop.