IWillDominate Tribunal Permaban & eSports Competition Ruling

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Torabisu

Senior Member

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlAbiqSpidAlx View Post
That's exactly what I just said. So tired of Riot being unfair. He should get the same punishment as everyone else and should have to start completely over.
His account is indeed PERMABANNED. However, he can make and play OTHER accounts. He's banned from the pro scene for ONE YEAR that he cannot participate in.

Riot does not ban PLAYERS they ban ACCOUNTS.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MrBubbIes0

Senior Member

12-05-2012

Can we see a case of his tribunal reviews ?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

yoyowat

Member

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wosie View Post
Im not sure how contracts with teams are laid out but this pretty bad to ban someone from a game then release their real name to million of people, essentialy blacklisting the person and can be construde as attack on the person.
Because they're pro. The same thing happens in more physical sports as well (football, basketball.) They also only released his name, not is SS or something. I personally know 3 different unrelated people named Christian Rivera from my graduating class alone. I know anecdotal evidence isn't great, but trust me when I say neither Christian, nor Rivera are uncommon names in the respective order.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Surefire11B

Junior Member

12-05-2012

Jesus, who cares? Get a real job. Riot shouldn't be getting so involved with the people that play their game that it's even an issue of whether or not they are impartial. Everyone that plays the game is subject to the will of it's creator and the ToS of said game, whether you choose to actually read it or not. Every online ToS has rules governing your attitude to others that play. In a game where one person can be the complete and total cause of a loss, it's fitting for the people that run it to take that particular area of their ToS more seriously. How long it took them to realize it as a problem is irrelevant. This game is well known as having a community that is almost unbearable at times. "Just mute everyone" is not a proper answer.

If Riot feels they need to enforce their rules and make an example of a certain group of players that felt they were above the rules then that is THEIR choice to make. If the behavior continues, I'm sure there will be more. I do feel that tournament play could be regarded as a separate arena and therefore left out of the punishment, but again, that's Riot's call to make. I guarantee his team knew of his behavior and have probably all told him to chill out from time to time.

There are parts of this I agree with and parts I don't. In the end, it doesn't change my ability to act like a rational human being while I play. I'll still sleep well tonight.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Retsudrats

Senior Member

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candidumbra View Post
Well from what I'm reading, he IS permanently banned; his account that is. He as a person is banned for a year in competition. So his account itself is gone for good and he must wait a year to compete in the "League of Legends Championship Series", but on a new account.

At least, that's what I understand it to be.
Being allowed to come back isnt permanently banned. If he is allowed to make a new account, and then play in the pro-scene in a year, then he isnt permanently banned. In otherwords, they are letting a toxic player continue to play the game. Doesnt sound to permanent to me when he can just fork over more money to get all his stuff back...Oh wait, did i just let that out of the bag?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sojs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retsudrats View Post
Being allowed to come back isnt permanently banned. If he is allowed to make a new account, and then play in the pro-scene in a year, then he isnt permanently banned. In otherwords, they are letting a toxic player continue to play the game. Doesnt sound to permanent to me when he can just fork over more money to get all his stuff back...Oh wait, did i just let that out of the bag?
no ban is perma if you look at it like that


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SgtSarros

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retsudrats View Post
Being allowed to come back isnt permanently banned. If he is allowed to make a new account, and then play in the pro-scene in a year, then he isnt permanently banned. In otherwords, they are letting a toxic player continue to play the game. Doesnt sound to permanent to me when he can just fork over more money to get all his stuff back...Oh wait, did i just let that out of the bag?
In that case, nobody ever gets perma banned, because -everyone- can make new accounts after they get one of those.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shirahago

Member

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknRwwr View Post
Okay so since tribunal is such a failure this is what shouldve been written down :
Player : Iwilldominate
Facts: been a pro player for 2 years , and he happened to play solo Queue where he had no chance to practince thanks to all the trolls and feeders .
Outcome : Leave the trolls and feeders alone so we can ban more pro players .like Iwilldominate .
I dont think he intentionally flamed , he surely have been trolled bye people who dont even deserve to live , and the he responded back to them. Shame on you tribunal
IWD was in the 0.7% of the most toxic players on NA. Please stop denying the fact that he ruined the game experience for most other people he played with.

About the 1 year length of the ban, personally I believe that it's fine. This pretty much finishes his LoL career in the competetive scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBeard View Post
Hi Summoners,

Today I’ve got some tough news to share with you.
As long as you label banning toxic players as tough news you are still doing it wrong. I sincerely hope you didn't apologize to IWD for banning him.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BestPoppyAfrica

Junior Member

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalFuryX View Post
hehe..IWillSpectate
hahaha good one


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

pilling

Junior Member

12-05-2012

Jumping in really late but oh well -- maybe it won't get read but I kinda wanted to post anyway.

I read about this much earlier and something bothered me about the whole thing and I didn't want to post until I was about to articulate it and I think I've finally figured it out: it feels like this severity is wildly inconsistent with other infractions/punishments.

I'm sure Dominate deserves punishment. You shouldn't be able to act like a jerk and get off scott free. Further, I don't think a slap on the wrist would be good either -- you can't have a blatant rule violator get a minor punishment or special treatment because he is a pro.

However, the nature of the punishment is what's wildly unsettling. It's not just a banned account. It's barring him from playing in the LoL pro scene. These were two separate things that with this precedent have now become merged.

In other words, Riot obviously is extending their realm of control and influence to the professional scene in ways previously unheard of. Now before anyone thinks I left my tinfoil hat at home or anything like that, I simply want to say that this is new territory. I think it's in Riot's best interest to promote the pro scene and help shape it into an excellent environment, but it's questionable that they chose to exercise their influence in this way.

Basically, while I think that Riot's involvement in pro player suspensions was inevitable (analogies to other sports and such), it's kind of odd that it happened here, in this incident. Why? Because of severity and because of at least one other public incident that should warrant suspension and did not.

Severity -- previously, these kinds of violations were much more limited in scope (warnings to permanent account bans), and now the first punishment of its kind (dipping into the pro eligibility realm) is a one year ban? Seems a bit steep even if the guy has had a lot of history being a rager. It's fair to say that he should have reformed, should have known better, etc, but this has all the markings of massive punishment in order to try and prove something.

Prior incident -- this is what surprised me more actually. There was a documented case where Woong from AZF blatantly cheated on stage. I know, I know, old news, but this is highly, highly relevant. A guy goes to the season 2 championships and cheats, and it given a slap on the wrist. That's wild inconsistency for you. It's not to rekindle a witch hunt for Woong, but it's really, really bizarre when one person suddenly gets a pro scene ban for raging and another person does not for blatant cheating.

So? The problem I think is that this all seems a bit much for the first "dip" in to exerting more control and influence into the pro scene. I simply feel that pros should have known suspensions from the pro scene were on the table as real, legitimate consequences before something like this happened. Again, it's not to say that he shouldn't have known better, but this is a form of punishment from a previously unconnected realm.

To throw out an analogy, if we make a loose comparison to Basketball, there is a system of fouls. Minor fouls are essentially reprimands, and given enough, can put a player out of that specific game. Major fouls, technical fouls, etc can warrant a fine and an immediate suspension for a variable amount of games but never a whole season without a prior history of infractions. "Well," you say, "he's had 8 punishments." Yes. IWD has had 8 suspensions, but the point is that in basketball, there is a well connected link to behavior vs type of punishment that is firmly established. In LoL, type of punishment was established for account suspensions/bans, but not for pro scene ramifications.