Tanky supports, gone?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Grollm

12-04-2012

So after looking at the mastery changes and the fact that heart of gold no longer exists, it seems like in order for supports to get the income that they need they are going to have to go into support tree. When I play Leona I would usually go 9/21/0, and have Quints of Avarice and I was able to get all the gold that I needed. Now it seems like with only being able to build 1 GP 10 now(unless I build a useless one for support like an Avarice Blade or a Kage's Lucky *****), I am going to have to go into the support tree more and be quite a bit less tanky. I mean sure if you are winning your lane hard it's not going to matter, but what do you do in a situation where you are losing your lane or it's a stalemate? Do you become squishy with money or are you a walking broke armory? HALP!

Edit: I like the fact that they **** out P R I C K, even though it's the items name = P

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-04-2012

Sightstone and Ruby Sightstone replace Heart of Gold.

The amount of wards they give you outweigh the gold HoG was giving, so if you're truly playing support, this will mean you have more gold to spend on items.

Ziek88

12-04-2012

I feel the new utility masteries are a pretty big buff for support. So much gold potential there and the free ward.

Also it's Kage's Lucy Pick. No r.

Grollm

12-04-2012

well I was looking on lolpro and I was looking at the updated Janna guide for Season 3. It looks like the guy recommends building sightstone, then philo stone. My only concern I guess is playing a tanky support, like Leona, Alistar, Blitz, Shen, Mao, who typically don't go 0/9/21. That build I feel is fine on the squishy supports like Soraka, Janna, and Sona, but I feel like if you are 0/9/21 with Leona and you e to an enemy, you are gonna get rocked.

Grollm

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziek88 View Post
I feel the new utility masteries are a pretty big buff for support. So much gold potential there and the free ward.

Also it's Kage's Lucy Pick. No r.
I know for the squishy supports, it's awesome, but if someone wants to play a tanky support it kinda gimps them in a way. Where they have to choose either tankiness or income. Yeah you aren't spending as much money because you have sightstone, but if you don't have money coming in that isn't going to matter.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-04-2012

If you were fine without the extra gold you get from 0/9/21 before, I don't see why you'll be that much worse off now without going 0/9/21.

As I already explained, the amount of wards you get out of Sightstones are worth more gold than Heart of Gold was giving you, and you get it 125g cheaper.

So if you were normally building say Philostone, HoG, and spending tons of money on wards, nothing is different now except you're slightly squishier with a Sightstone versus HoG, and that once you build Sightstone, you can spend significantly less gold on wards.

Think about it...

Let's say in a normal game, before the patch, you've got your Philostone, boots 1, and you've just placed wards. Ideally, you'd like to wait until you have 975 gold before you return, right? That way you can buy HoG and a couple wards, right?

Well now you wait till you have 700g and you buy Sightstone and it comes with 4 wards (you can only place two at a time). You've got an extra 275g.

AND, this item upgrades into Ruby Sightstone, which is all the better.

And long run, you actually end up being less squishy.

What's a late game build for a tanky support? Four aura items, boots, and a slot for wards.
Now you don't have to keep that spot for wards. Your Ruby Sightstone holds 5 wards.

Ziek88

12-04-2012

I see your point. Really depends on play style too. I usually use runes for my extra tank stats and like to use my masteries in utilities when I play support. Even some of the tankier ones. Usually because I want the cooldown reductions and all the extra gold and free ward is a really nice perk being that is what I already lean too.

Soraka Goes Mid

12-04-2012

Supports aren't really supposed to be damage dealers, or tanks for that matter. What makes a support character is their skill set, which generally consists of heals, CC, or a combination of the two. Really, the Utility masteries are designed for supports. Mana Regen, bonus gold, etc. are all things that supports need more than any other champs.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuroXc View Post
Supports aren't really supposed to be tanks
Alistar, Blitzcrank, Taric, Leona all say hi.

Soraka Goes Mid

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoPogoPogoPogo View Post
Alistar, Blitzcrank, Taric, Leona all say hi.
They're tanky, but you don't build them as tanks. You build them with utility in mind. Whereas if you jungled Alistar for example, you would build him full tank.