New support champion idea = Yoho!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Crazycapnpenguin

10-01-2013

Disclaimer: This is my first posting on any LoL forum, and I hope you all like my ideas, take them, change them, and run with it. Thanks for any constructive feedback, and thanks Riot for everything.

Champion Name: Yoho – the Crafty Sailor (His nickname is open to change; I was also thinking the Crazy/Gifted Carpenter, or just the Shipbuilder)

Allegiance: Bilgewater

Species: Yordle. (If not yordle, then maybe some marine animal that has been “gifted” by magic, like Wukong or Rammus. I would flippin go crazy with joy if a penguin was chosen!) He is short, with a toolbelt or pack full of tools, wood, and fruit. Maybe he has planks of wood sticking out of his coveralls. I imagine him to be kind of middle-aged, with some experience, and a friendly, mischievous glint in his eyes.

Category: Support (I was thinking it would be nice to have another support, extra nice to have another male support, and super nice to have a male Yordle or non-human support, especially for Bilgewater, as they have no Yordles so far that I know of.)

General Info: Yoho is a seagoing Champion whose abilities will reflect his nautical lifestyle. He is a melee fighter with his hammer, and pulls out a plank of wood for his E. His abilities are very supportive; I wanted him to be able to help his enemies escape tough situation in a variety of ways. I originally envisioned him as a ship’s carpenter, with the ability to repair turrets, but thought this would be too powerful and so transferred his building skills to Figurehead and Lifeboat.

Abilities

Passive: Superstition – nearby allied champions have increased Magic Resistance.

OR

Passive: Lookout – nearby allied champions (including Yoho), turrets and vision wards have an increased sight range. His Figurehead ability also gains sight range.

Q: Figurehead – Yoho builds a figurehead (like the mermaids often built on the prow of sailing ships) of a random allied champion. The figurehead has health (175/250/325/400/475? +40 % AP), 30 armor and magic resist, and taunts all nearby champions, minions, monsters and towers. I’m thinking it would lure attackers from a range of 350/400/450/500/550. Also, the allied champion who matches the figurehead gets a slight boost of movement and attack speed while the figurehead lasts. The figurehead lasts for 15 seconds or until destroyed. Armor/magic resist auras would affect Figureheads. I think a 30-40 second cooldown on Figurehead might work.

Also, I thought it would be sweet if there is a small probability that Yoho builds a Figurehead of Urf the manatee! If this happens, all allied champions gain the speed buff. Maybe a 1 in 6 chance on 5-players per team maps, and 1 in 4 on Twisted Treeline.

W: Snack Attack – Yoho throws a banana at all nearby allied champions, himself included, to fight scurvy. Yoho does not need to target allies for this move. They consume these fruit automatically and immediately, and gain, over 5 seconds, a small amount of healing (60/ 90/120/150/180 +60% AP) and a major reduction of any current/incoming slows, stuns or roots, say by 50/55/60/65/70%. (Yes, this idea is very similar to Gangplank’s Remove Scurvy, but the healing is not as powerful, and shared with his team. I originally had the name Fight Scurvy for this, but changed it because it is too close to Gangplank's.) To make this move even more unique, a banana peel is left behind over where the champion was last standing. Any enemy champion who moves over this peel is briefly stunned (and embarrassed) for 0.5/0.6/0.7/0.8/0.9 seconds. Strangely enough, this move also affects flyers like Anivia, Corki, Xerath and Kayle.

E: Walk the Plank – Yoho pulls out a plank and swipes all enemies in a small, wide cone in front of him (range = 425, 120°) dealing attack damage plus a small amount of magic damage and knocking the enemies back. (This is like a smaller version of Xin Zhou’s Crescent Sweep). I’m thinking damage of 100/130/160/190/220 + 40% AD.

R: Lifeboat – Yoho aims a long skillshot, then takes 1 second to build a lifeboat, with wheels! Nearby allied champions have 1.5 second to click on the lifeboat if they want to come aboard, and Yoho will send gangplanks out to them, causing them to almost instantaneously join him in the lifeboat. (This is like Thresh’s lantern ability.) The lifeboat has health (400, 500, 600 +100% AP), and protects the champions inside it. The lifeboat cannot be knocked, yanked, or rooted. Champions can neither attack nor activate abilities from inside the lifeboat. After the 1.5 seconds of boarding time, the lifeboat shoots towards the direction Yoho aimed, as indicated by the prow of the ship. While moving at a speed of 700, the lifeboat knocks all enemies out of the way, doing slight damage (I’m thinking 100/150/200 +50%AP). The lifeboat has a limited range of travel before it breaks down, and if it is destroyed then the champions exit before reaching the maximum range. This distance range increases as the ability is levelled up, something like 2000, 3000, 4000. I recommend a long cooldown for this ultimate, maybe 90 seconds.

(Thanks to IncendiumNova for bringing up a weakness in this Ultimate. To counter the grouping of champions that invites AEO ultimate traps where the lifeboat dies, he proposed 2 solutions which you can vote on later in the posts. One was to use a lifejacket idea to give allied champions and Yoho 1.5-2 seconds of invulnerability to reposition themselves, but during this time they could not attack or use abilities. The second was to have the Lifeboat break apart on command or at the range limit, causing a large AOE knockback of enemy champions like Janna’s monsoon. This could give survivors a chance to get away/avoid clumping up and getting blasted by AOEs. Please vote!)
Also, I thought it would be sweet if Galio’s Righteous Gust, Janna’s Howling Gale could boost the speed and distance of the Lifeboat’s charge. Slowing traps or AOEs would affect it as well.

Ways to use Yoho’s abilities:
Yoho can be used to ensure a safe retreat for a losing teamfight, or to distract enemies and even chase them down.

Defensively: Yoho’s passive (depending on which is chosen) can help keep an eye out for gankers or help them survive heavy magic damage. If his mates are in trouble, Yoho can give them a slight health boost from Snack Attack, plus reduce any slows or stuns. He can also build a figurehead to taunt all nearby enemies, giving time to fall backand potentially even a speed boost thanks to the randomness of the figurehead. If he’s covering the retreat from the rear, Yoho can turn around, activate Walk the Plank, and send nearby enemies back, giving more time to escape. And Lifeboat can rescue your team by sending them zooming down a lane.

Offensively: In lane fights, a Figurehead can draw enemy fire while Yoho and allies target Champions. Yoho could combo his Figurehead and Walk the Plank by knocking cautious enemies towards the Figurehead, or letting the Figurehead lure enemies close then sweeping them with Walk the Plank. Also, if a Figurehead is placed close to an Allied turret, and Walk the Plank knocks an enemy towards both, the Figurehead would trap them nearby while the turret fires away. Building a Figurehead within range of a fleeing enemy would distract it enough for Yoho and teammates to catch up and engage. And against enemy turrets, Figureheads would take some of the damage your allies would take otherwise. Teammates and Yoho could sneak by a distracted turret to chase down enemies. Also, Lifeboat provides a way to zoom past enemy turrets while taking reduced damage.

Biography Ideas
Yoho doesn’t talk much about his past voyages, or how a humble ship carpenter like him ended up at the League of Legends, but the taverns of Bilgewater and beyond are full of tall tales about his adventures. Though his past crews gave him a rough time about his small size at first, they now loudly appreciate his many gifts. They remember him cheering them up with his naughty sea shanties, treating them for scurvy, and even rescuing those who have fallen overboard. All speak of his wondrous ability to carve and build from the driftwood he finds. After a few rounds, some tight-lipped sailors say he even uses magic to enchant his lifelike sculptures.

But the tales don’t stop there. A few sailors with haunted looks in their eyes warn of venturing too close to the perilous Shadow Isles. The ones who return from there are never the same, and a few of them whisper of horrors beyond words. But those who claim to have sailed with Yoho recount his heroism; of fighting off hordes of undead with a simple plank; of distracting nightmares with his carved figureheads to give others a chance to escape; of creating a lifeboat from but a few bits of driftwood and rescuing survivors from certain doom.

Yoho doesn’t say much when pressed about these tales. He just smiles and carries on carving his latest masterpiece...

Alternate Skin Ideas-Newfie Yoho! I'm Canadian, so Newfies and their accents are kind of national treasures. This Yoho could wear a sweater with a moose head on it, and his lifeboat could have a sail with a cod on it. He could also sing "I's the by that builds the boat."
-Cap’n Yoho! With a great big feathered hat, a long coat, and a gold tooth. His hammer and plank will be jewelled, and his lifeboat will have an upgraded look, with a jolly roger waving from a mast.
-Beaver Yoho! Another idea that Canadians might appreciate, he could swing a log (maybe birch?) instead of a plank, and his lifeboat will be a mess of twisted branches.
-Jammin’ Yoho! This Yoho has brown skin with dark brown fur/dreads, and yellow, green and red striped shorts. Instead of his plank he uses a guitar for Walk the Plank, and when he uses his Lifeboat a reggae beat comes out of it.

Stats:
Health: 404 (+ 87 per lv.) Health Regen: 5.4 (+ 0.7 per lv.)
Mana: 207 (+ 45per lv.) Mana Regen: 7 (+ 0.5 per lv.)
Attack Damage: 47 (+ 3/6 per lv.) Attack Speed: 0.63 (+2.7% per lv.)
Armor: 13 (+ 3.9 per lv.) Magic Resist: 30 (+1.25 per lv.)
Speed: 340
Basic Attack Range: 125

Possible Friends:
-Maokai may respect how he puts care into his driftwood creations and not use live or felled trees for his works. Maybe he believes Yoho could find a way to free the treant from his animation. Or he may despise him...
-Fizz
-Nami
-Wukong (he likes those bananas)

Possible Rivals-An undead champion from the Shadow Isles, like Karthas, Thresh, Hecarim or Mordekaiser. Sion, Urgot and Amumu don’t count.
-Maybe he had a bad run-in with Gangplank in the past. Yoho is more of a friendly, freedom-loving sailor, and isn’t aggressive or into fighting and pillaging.
-Brand. Yoho might have had sailed with his host (Kegan Rodhe) before Brand possessed him, and wants to see him freed from the malevolent spirit. Also, Brand could have a nasty habit of incinerating Yoho's creations, which Yoho doesn’t appreciate.

Crazycapnpenguin

10-01-2013

Ah, I see Soraka already has the magic resist passive. Good on you, Starchild. Alright, Yoho can have the Lookout one.

Groosalugg23

10-01-2013

Hey, im new to this website and just wanted to make sure that i thanked you for commenting on my character idea I don't know if you received it and how its works when someone comments. So Thanks again!

Crazycapnpenguin

10-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groosalugg23 View Post
Hey, im new to this website and just wanted to make sure that i thanked you for commenting on my character idea I don't know if you received it and how its works when someone comments. So Thanks again!
Thanks, no worries, I got it. And sweet update on Omen! I hope Riot runs with it, or at least we get some good fan fiction.

Crazycapnpenguin

10-01-2013

What do you think about Yoho - the Crafty Shipmaker?

Groosalugg23

10-03-2013

He seem pretty cool, i enjoy the idea! Do you have and idea what he will look like and drawn out?

Crazycapnpenguin

10-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groosalugg23 View Post
He seem pretty cool, i enjoy the idea! Do you have and idea what he will look like and drawn out?
I'm still thinking, but if he is a yordle I'd like him to be furry like Teemo and Rumble. Maybe orange coloured? But maybe we can add a Jack-Sparrow-esque beard, and maybe an anchor tattoo on his arm, with the fur buzzed away. He'll be kind of buff from all his hammering and carrying heavy stuff. And I'm thinking he'd have a toolbelt and a pack for all his supplies. But I'm open to your suggestions too! I'm not really an artist, so I'd love some visual input.

Crazycapnpenguin

10-09-2013

OK, I added some skin and friend/rival ideas. I'm liking the idea of a beaver Yoho! Any comments or questions? Stats are on the way. Thanks for any support!

Crazycapnpenguin

10-10-2013

Alright, I've added some preliminary numbers for his abilities, and now need to add base stats and lv. up stats. Does anyone have any feedback? PLEASE?

IncendiumNova

10-10-2013

Sounds like a really fun champion.
One question, if lifeboat is used to initiate, then when lifeboat ends would your team, assuming they boarded, be grouped up? Because that would give the enemy team a chance to easily position themselves for 5 easy kills, especially if they have AOE ults. I have an idea to add on to your ult, but i don't want to force any ideas on you. If you want to hear it then say so. I'll check back tonight or tomorrow for a response.