Cho'gath on hit and AS?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DaemRijou

12-04-2012

With the new s3 items and masteries, theres 2 things that caught my eye. First is the spell blade mastery that gives your basic attack 5% of your ap as magic damage, and the second is the new malady. I'd heard that attack speed could be pretty good on cho, but i'm new with him and just don't know. Is it actually good on him, or is he better as just plain ap?

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2012

Well, 5% AP isn't very much. Thats 1 virtual AD for every 20 of your AP (400g worth).

Since Cho needs to spend a lot of his gold on armor/MR, he won't have tons of AP anyways.

Cho already has 'Spellblade' in that his spikes have 0.2 ratio, or 1 virtual AD per FIVE AP (100g).

Cho doesn't have great Attack Speed, no AS steroid, and worst of all, Attack Speed got NERFED BIGTIME. Onhit builds are basically dead, in that they were marginal before and now their AS just increased in cost by 20%, whereas AD got 15% cheaper.
See, they made AD cheaper to help the AD casters and bruisers, but they nerfed AS to keep Carries from getting out of control. As a side effect, this just **** all over AS/onhit.

It is interesting that with Spellblade, Malady and Spikes you could get a 35% ratio or 1 AD per 3 AP. But Im afraid the AS nerf counters most of those potential gains.

DarkenDragon

12-04-2012

but AS/AP is the only way you'll be able to do damage with cho, well you could go full AP but thats not fully utilizing his potential, or you can go pure tanky support.

honestly AS/AP is the best way to go in my opinion. get malady + nashoors tooth as a base and you'll have pretty fast attack speed plus quite a good amount of damage with aoe and also reduction to cooldowns to consistantly casting your scream and rupture, and the rest of your items can help be tanky with armor and magic resistance with additional ap giving you even more damage, and with his ultimate giving hp, your pretty much well rounded with a decent damage.

Varaxael

12-04-2012

With Cho'gath, you don't really want to go "full" anything. Your role in team fights, no matter what you build, is going to be tanky disruption with some burst (nom, nom, nom.) So you want to have some armor/mr, some HP, and some AP/damage.

One of my favorite builds used to be (because, you know, patch) to go Nashor's Tooth with Rylai's, Frozen Heart, and either Banshee's Veil, Force of Nature, or Abyssal Sceptre, depending on the game. Once I had those items, I could/would take other stuff based on the needs of the match and how fed I was (or wasn't.) I might also get a Philosopher's Stone early, or some-such thing.

I did experiment with AS Cho'gath back in the day, though - but I found him to be sub-optimal. Yes, factoring in his spikes, he at one time had the highest "per swing" damage in the game. But as was pointed out above, he has low attack speed and no attack speed steroid, making a lot of AS counterproductive.

Summary: AS is a good idea with Cho, but only in moderation and as a hybrid item: Nashor's Tooth is exceptional if you can afford it, since it synergizes with every aspect of his gameplay (mana regen, AP, AS, and CDR.)

Etherimp

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varaxael View Post
With Cho'gath, you don't really want to go "full" anything. Your role in team fights, no matter what you build, is going to be tanky disruption with some burst (nom, nom, nom.) So you want to have some armor/mr, some HP, and some AP/damage.

One of my favorite builds used to be (because, you know, patch) to go Nashor's Tooth with Rylai's, Frozen Heart, and either Banshee's Veil, Force of Nature, or Abyssal Sceptre, depending on the game. Once I had those items, I could/would take other stuff based on the needs of the match and how fed I was (or wasn't.) I might also get a Philosopher's Stone early, or some-such thing.

I did experiment with AS Cho'gath back in the day, though - but I found him to be sub-optimal. Yes, factoring in his spikes, he at one time had the highest "per swing" damage in the game. But as was pointed out above, he has low attack speed and no attack speed steroid, making a lot of AS counterproductive.

Summary: AS is a good idea with Cho, but only in moderation and as a hybrid item: Nashor's Tooth is exceptional if you can afford it, since it synergizes with every aspect of his gameplay (mana regen, AP, AS, and CDR.)

Wits End > Nashors, I think..

Gives Attack Speed, and MR, stacking MR, and does MORE Magic Damage per hit.. It's a luxury item though. Only to be bought after you have Frozen Heart, Abyssal, and GA.