How do you feel about other MobA games?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Meowskies

12-03-2012

DotA

DotA in my eyes is the ''start'' of the MOBA scene going big. I started playing it in 2006(ish) and enjoyed it up until 2010. I got accustomed to the game play which was amazing, the concept was so ''why have people not expanded on this idea, and make different versions of this. It was my introduction into MOBA games, and I held each one I heard of to high expectations after playing DotA for 4 or so years. I gave the gameplay a 5/5 for not only it's groundbreaking ideas, but it just brings team co-operation to a new level. If your team fails, then you lose. Where I feel DotA fails in gameplay is it's ability to center around 1 character late game, and if they get fed beyond belief where the other team does not it's not easy to shut them down. The biggest downside to DotA is the graphics which is understandable as it was build using WC3 so that can be excused. It's community is a bit harsh as well, you either have people who have no clue what to do (because there is no way to learn aside from many games of practice) or you have people who rage because of new players. Overall I gave it a final score of 19, mainly because it's outdated, but it can still be a very fun game to play.

Gameplay: 4/5
Teaching New Players: 1/5
Graphics: 2/5
Community: 2/5
Character Diversity: 5/5
Item Diversity: 5/5
In Game Customization : 0/5

Final Score : 19

LoL

LoL was my second dip into a MobA game. I saw youtube videos of it and was like ''wow, there are other types of MobA's out there. What also made me want to play it was not only the fact it was Free, but you could pay and get alternate skins if you desired. The BOT games have made a major improvement, allowing newer players to learn how the game works, without stepping on the toes of veteran MobA players. I always refer to LoL as the most friendly to new players of the MobA scene, just because of how well they do at allowing players to learn at their own pace. Where LoL falls short however is it's character and item diversity. There are characters that are clearly better than others, while the itemization for characters is very poor. You have your standard set of ''buy this, then this'' which will hopefully be changing with season 3, and I look forward to it. Along with the lack of diversity, the meta seems to be solid, which sets people into certain roles, or lanes. Hopefully the introduction to season 3 will bring new ways to play the lanes, different item builds, and with reworks constantly being provided the character diversity should change within time. For those reasons I have LoL a solid score of 20.

Teaching New Players: 5/5
Graphics: 3/5
Community: 3/5
Character Diversity: 3/5
Item Diversity: 3/5
In Game Customization : 3/5

Final Score : 24

Hon

HoN is what some would say a ''carbon copy'' of DotA, and I will agree somewhat. If I remember correctly, HoN asked Icefrog if it was ok that they do a semi-remake / re-style of DotA (though this could all be speculation) and over time they kept the ''DotA'' feel but added their own things such as new items, different heroes, and some interesting game modes. I feel HoN stands apart from every other MobA game in it's character diversity. They have, for the most part, all of the well known DotA characters re-skinned, and renamed with very similar if not exact skills. However, they have also added many of their own character designs, some of which I find the best designs created in any MobA game. I may be a bit bias towards this being I play support role in all MobA games, and I feel HoN has the best support character designs. Some of them being Monarch, Martyr, Empath, and Pearl, all of which are unique to HoN. The item diversity is also beyond amazing. HoN has so much diversity in item choice, expanding on DotA's already very large item pool, and adding amazing items such as Grave locket, Nome's Wisdom, Energizer, Light Brand, and they continue to expand on items. However, HoN has the worst community I have -ever- been involved in. Everyone has a massive ego complex, they feel they are superior and know everything. Lanes are called with no regard to other players, and the MMR system adds to the superiority complex that people have. If you are Blue of Pink (colors of the top MMR players in your game) you decide what is done. If you are at the lower end of the MMR color spectrum, you dare not call a lane that has a major influence on the game because you will be shunned from your allies, and raged at no matter what mistakes are made. All of HoN's diversity is null and void due to it's not so diverse atmosphere created by other players. It's a negative experience if you have anything less than stone solid skin. If you can ignore the abuse of other players in every game, then HoN may be a game for you.

Graphics: 3/5
Community: 0/5
Item Diversity: 5/5
In Game Customization : 4/5

Final Score : 22

Smite

Smite is a very new twist on the MobA style games. The community in Smite is outstanding. No one rages (that I have seen) and the character diversity is very good. That may be in part that there are not 90+ characters out yet, but for what is out now each character is very different in their very own way. What I feel Smite falls short on is it's gameplay and graphics, both of which to me go hand in hand. Smite take a FPS view, or a ''look down'' view, meaning you can not see behind you, and have some peripheral vision. The graphics play a large part of this in my opinion, making the gameplay go down. It needs to be more polished, and then I can say it will be a better game. Keep in mind though, as Smite is somewhat new, and there are not a lot of characters, the diversity could very well change, and we will see a repeat of character design in some fashion.

Gameplay: 2/5
Teaching New Players: 3/5
Graphics: 2/5
Community: 4/5
Item Diversity: 2.5/5
In Game Customization : 1.5/5

Final Score : 20

DotA2

DotA2, the predecessor of DotA all stars, and now run by Valve, and still lead by Icefrog is a game that follows it's brother before. I have not had much time with this game, probably around 15-20 hours or so but I will say it is just like the DotA I grew with and loved. With a visual update it is no surprise it would rank higher than DotA, but there is more that comes with that. DotA2 is still adding characters which is why its character diversity is not ranked as high up as DotA or HoN. They have a limited pool for now, but there is still a large selection. Once all 100+ characters are added, I will have no problem giving it a 5/5, because each character is unique, and feels different to any other character. The community in DotA2 is the same as it was in DotA, because most people migrated over. It is ok to say the least. People think they are right, when they are not most of the time, and the superiority complex is still there, but it's not as bad as you would think. From what I have played, players seem to be newer, and not have a clue as to what is going on, or you have veterans who think they are perfect and just rage all game. I will continue to keep an eye on DotA2, as it is a game I do enjoy and can not wait until it's official launch. One thing I do want to note about in DotA 2 is the ability to unlock aesthetically pleasing items that you can equip your character with. It's a rare chance to unlock a random item after a game, and it's not guranteed you will always get an item. You can also obtain chests that contain a random item, but you must spend real money to get a key to unlock the chest. You can also purchase the items in store for real money if you desire to make your character stand out among other characters.

Graphics: 5/5
Community: 2/5
Character Diversity: 3/5
Item Diversity: 4/5
In Game Customization : 2/5

Final Score : 21

Will update more in a bit

Claw of Time

12-03-2012

[center]Attachment 568249[/center]

Claw of Time

12-03-2012

Did you type all of this?

xHamstersx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-03-2012

pfft LoL should be 5/5 in all.....RIOT TAKE MY MONEY !!!!!!!!!!!

Meowskies

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claw of Time View Post
Did you type all of this?
Of course I did! I need to finish updating it, and I would like to go more in depth of my thoughts on each game. But I figure people will see it as tl;dr if I do. Just highlighting the best and worst ratings of each.

Yune9

12-03-2012

I dont really see a point in comparing them like this they are all very different games and all fun in their own way.

Meowskies

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHamstersx View Post
pfft LoL should be 5/5 in all.....RIOT TAKE MY MONEY !!!!!!!!!!!
Ha! I could do that, and brown nose for Riot, but I am just being honest to my opinion. I really can not wait for season 3, and I will do a re-evaluation of my thoughts on diversity. Coming from DotA I felt every single hero was used for something, they each had something that brought something to the team strategy. I feel like DotA was more of a ''you need to be sure of the situation you use x in'' where as LoL is a bit more forgiving (massive mana regen, low cost of certain things.) To me that is fine though, it's what I like about LoL, and honestly I play LoL a lot more than DotA / DotA2. I really just wish there was better itemization, and character diversity ( though we do have a lot of characters so I understand why some are flops, some feel like other characters, and some just bring something nothing else does.)

Claw of Time

12-03-2012

∩___∩
   | ノ      ヽ
  /  ●   ● | クマ──!!
  |    ( _●_)  ミ
 彡、   |∪|  、`\
/ __  ヽノ />  )
(___)   / (_/
 |       /
 |  /\ \
 | /    )  )
 ∪    (  \
       \_)

Meowskies

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yune9 View Post
I dont really see a point in comparing them like this they are all very different games and all fun in their own way.
This is true! In fact I would say everyone should try each if they have the time for it. You can't say they are all the same game, but they follow the same pattern of game play. My ratings are not ''x got 1 more point than y thus it is better, or you should play it'' but more of a ''this is how I feel the games are in their current state.'' My ratings are a direct reflection of my opinion, which is why I would like to see other peoples opinions on it. I think it would be nice to see what people feel LoL compares to other games, and vice versa.

Shagra

12-03-2012

Personally, I've played League today for the first time in several months. Been stuck on Smite. It's a really fun take on the MOBA game.

It's like playing League, but with controls like WoW.