how to get into game developement? Reds could help a lot

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Anyamar

12-04-2012

Hello everyone,
This post is more or less directed at people that have experience in the game development field, Riot Employees, and people in the process of getting into the game development field. Ill start with a little background on myself!

I am 20 years old, male, and i've been playing video games since the age of two! I guess you could say my passion for gaming developed early and has never stopped to this day. Something about adventure and fantasy really pulls me in, it was always my escape for my home life, etc, etc.

Back in highschool, I always debated how i would get into game design. I was never sure what i wanted to specialize in or how to find a college that would provide the courses i would need to succeed :/
Around this time i really took interest in the competitive gaming scene like halo, starcraft, and a little bit of CoD. I ended up getting into the MLG scene and i signed up to participate in my first event. The second i walked into that Venue and felt the atmosphere i realized at that point, this is what i wanted to be a part of.
Fast forward a couple years and here we are today. I was informed that the company i work for( now soon to be "worked for") was doing a Reduction in Force and i was one of the lucky people to get the boot. To be honest i wasnt really sad about it, and im looking at it in a positive way of how to get my life on track and how to possibly turn my dream into a reality!
SO! here i am General Discussion! I would love any advice you have on turning my dream into a reality, it would mean the world to me!

If any of you at RiotGames could tell me your story of how you got into the field, And also how you got your job at Riot id Greatly appreciate it!

P.S. I love LoL, it embodies everything i enjoy in a competitive game( IPL WAS AMAZING) Id love to be able to work there someday XD

THANK YOU ALL

slifer556

12-04-2012

Get a com sci degree

Anyamar

12-04-2012

whats a sci com degree?