How do I carry out of elo hell with support?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AR Manimal

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanteanKodex View Post
Hello all. I'm a dedicated support main and I love every minute of the role. I was a little under 1400 elo in Season 2 with a minimal number of ranked games played. I was 7-3 playing support champions. I decided to do placement matches earlier a few weeks ago. I won my first as 1/0/9 Taric. I have lost six placement matches in a row since then. My elo is currently sitting at 1140. My ADC's no longer start boots 3, nor do they cs nearly as well. My teams can no longer time objectives, push towards them, nor do they group like they should despite my calls/pings and chat. I won lane in 5 of the 6 placement matches I've lost. I had one where my lane partner got to 6/0/0 and we crushed their support/adc. My team still managed to throw the game after getting caught 30 mins near top. We were winning very hard.

The common denominator in all of my games seems to be: lack of vision other than the wards I play, jungle feeding/not alleviating pressure, and my top lane has lost all six of the games.

What should I be doing differently as a support main to help myself get back up in elo? I duo que with a mid player who is quite good and consistently does a good job. However, my teammates still get caught and my top lanes have not won in any of my matches.

What are the best measures to take? Should I start queing with an ADC?
Low Elo is all about playing off of the enemies mistakes. Though this is much easier to do as a jungler than a support... I'd say you need to just win your lane as hard and early as possible by punishing your opponents for every little thing they do wrong, and then running around warding and helping other lanes out.

pro4never

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eruka Frog View Post
you still can't carry bads with zyra

that's me the support ending the game with the most gold on my team

You have no exhaust to peel for your adc... No one on enemy team was really fed

Boils down to poor teamfighting sounds like and inability to peel.

Deceive or AFK

12-03-2012

You can still win by playing support - if your adc gets fed, you win.

If you can keep him alive in teamfights longer than their supp can keep theirs alive, you win.

You're going to have derp adc's who start with doran, auto shove the lane, run into skillshots, and whatever. I'd probably do all these things if I was forced to adc because its my weakest role. When that happens, look who (if anyone) is doing the best on your team and protect -them- in teamfights and let your adc die if he's beyond saving. I mained Janna in s2 and s3, and I'm now almost 1700, and she's the only support I play. And it's pretty universal that she's not the strongest support, but I play her well enough to compensate for her weaknesses.

Don't harass or flame your team, ever, because that makes everyone give up. In **** elo's < 1200, people are going to do retarded stuff on your team, and the enemy team as well. I dipped down to 800 elo last season before I started raising myself up by playing only LeBlanc/Evelynn mid, and Janna support. I refused to play any other champ or role, and insisted on playing only them because they're my strongest champions mechanically.

If you main support, and you genuinely enjoy playing it, and you call support, people are going to play better because most games, one person is stuck playing it who doesn't enjoy it, will whine all game about supporting, and will sit in the bush doing nothing for 20 minutes. Thats probably what happens on the other team.

Support can also be counterpicked - don't think you can pick Taric every single match and win just because 'omg i picked support my adc sucks we lose ((' If you pick Blitz, and the enemy picks Leona, you're going to have a bad lane, and blaming your adc in these situations is just gonna make it worse.

Don't listen to anyone who tells you that you can't move up in elo as support - it's been by FAR the most consistent way for me to raise my own elo because how much you can impact the entire game - more than most other roles, I'd argue.

You need to aggressively ping drake/towers after you score a kill. And by this, I mean literally spam the ping, and type 'go drake, go. go. go. go.' if they don't listen. You need to be a good player and have great awareness to make these calls, and you need to be doing reasonably well for anyone to listen to you. If you're 0/4/1, don't bother, nobody is going to listen.

In low elo's most people are immediately going to back after a kill when they're at half health and won't push for objectives - this is one of the biggest mistakes you can make. You need to make it your role, as support, to ward up the area around drake/baron, and ping it like a mother f'ker to get your idiot team to do it. And sometimes they still won't listen.

You are sitll going to lose games because your team is retarded - it's not because you're playing support, that guy who dove 1v5 at 45 minutes in would have lost it for you regardless of the role you played, and blaming it on the fact you are support is just gonna make you angry and jaded.

Whoayeah

12-03-2012

Some supports are completely game changing (Blitz, Sona, Leona) and can turn some of the most one sided games into a win

Firefly Captain

12-03-2012

I feel your pain bro. I used to main support, but it wasnt until i duo'd and won like 15 straight games that i went from 938-1150. Then another round of duo with a better ADC got me to 1300. Then I jungled to 1530

If you have a good adc one game, dont be afraid to ask for a duo. But to answer your question, "how do i carry out of elo hell with support?" you don't.

Deceive or AFK

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoayeah View Post
Some supports are completely game changing (Blitz, Sona, Leona) and can turn some of the most one sided games into a win
There isn't one single support who can't completely change the outcome of the game with good use of their spells in a teamfight. It's not just these who press R and instant-win teamfights.

Janna, Lulu, hell, even Soraka can pull a clutch 3-second silence/exhaust on the enemy AP Carry and take htem out of the fight before they can burst.

AtlanteanKodex

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-03-2012

I can Taric just fine. I know supports can get countered. Morgana, for example, counters Taric hard. So does Sivir. A good adc will take cleanse vs. a Taric lane as well.

I play a variety of supports including Taric, Sona, Leona, and Nunu. I do just fine in normals. My normal games typically have gold and sometimes plat players. I do perfectly fine there.

Thank you for the input DeciEVE or AFK. I think I'm going to take a break from ranked and play normals for a few weeks (2 or 3). I want to practice some more supports I don't typically play. I'll come back and if I'm still losing on support I'll just carry myself out with Cho'Gath jungle.

Eruka Frog

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro4never View Post
You have no exhaust to peel for your adc...
exhaust is a crutch for baddies

Mamichan

12-03-2012

Honestly if you want to support low elo and you really feel you're playing higher quality support, the answer is to duo queue bot. There's no reason to solo and depend on generally bad ad carries. You want an ad carry you actually can work with. This is until you actually reach higher elo where ad carries actually have good mechanics.

A personal example, I've been on multiple plat level 5v5 teams as the main support and I do far far better with someone I can trust. When I support randoms, my win rate is far far lower because we have no synergy. Luckily I main ap mid as well, so when I solo queue, I generally try to mid. When I duo, I am more willing to support, especially since i have someone else I can trust to carry.

AtlanteanKodex

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamichan View Post
Honestly if you want to support low elo and you really feel you're playing higher quality support, the answer is to duo queue bot. There's no reason to solo and depend on generally bad ad carries. You want an ad carry you actually can work with. This is until you actually reach higher elo where ad carries actually have good mechanics.

A personal example, I've been on multiple plat level 5v5 teams as the main support and I do far far better with someone I can trust. When I support randoms, my win rate is far far lower because we have no synergy. Luckily I main ap mid as well, so when I solo queue, I generally try to mid. When I duo, I am more willing to support, especially since i have someone else I can trust to carry.
Thank you very much for your input; it is much appreciated. I will most likely continue to hone my jungling skills and do that in solo que and just support in normals (where my normal elo is considerably higher) and duo que. Good idea.

Also to whoever said exhaust is a crutch, you are incorrect. Exhaust single handedly can win you 2v2 exchanges in bot. Mid-late game it serves as a tool to solidify a catch on someone or more importantly, peel for your adc or if your adc is safe, peel onto theirs.