Metagame is shifting away from Supports.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Boss Aegis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durzaka View Post
you realize even if this happens, they are still playing support?

if they arent taking farm, and setting up kills for the ADC, they are support.
Translated:

If you are farmless (aren't taking farm) and setting up kills for the ADC (being a mage or a bulkster), you are a support.

You do not share any qualities of a farmless mage or a bulkster, you are a support that somehow has the qualities of a farmless mage or bulkster.

You have shown me a circle of nonsense.

By the way, Leona is a bulkster.

Edit: I also like how your description of support actually excludes Soraka, Nidalee and Sona( Pre-6).

bruce ıee

12-03-2012

I don't mind playing a 0 cs support, it's just that most of them aren't very fun to play. Taric / Sona / Soraka are some of the most brain dead champions on the game, and some of the ones that ARE fun to play are stuck on the perma - ban list (Alistar, Blitz namely). That really leaves me with Leona and Zyra as the only supports that I actually enjoy playing. This has led me to experiment with support Lee Sin and Jarvan, since I've heard people talking about them and wanted to see it for myself. Both actually worked surprisingly well, but support Lee Sin doesn't have nearly the same impact on team fights that Jarvan does.

ratcharmer

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanceStubbs View Post
you really don't seem to understand what "support" is.
"support" has developed multiple meanings, one of them being 0-cs.

It's original meaning (which OP is using) was a character designed to help other champions.

Raburi

12-03-2012

To everyone using the argument that "omg if they're bot lane and not taking CS and helping get kills they're support!", realise this:

An entire class of champion is becoming unplayable. I've been seeing some ridiculous "support" champions in bot lane. Darius, Fiddlesticks, Jayce... How is it that they do they job of a support (and even an aggressive support like Leona) better than a support champion does? How imbalanced must the INTENDED support champions be to be replaced by pretty much any other champion with CC?

OP didn't mean "shifting away from having a support role", he meant "shifting away from having dedicated, intended support champions.", and it's happening. I haven't seen a Soraka in-game for maybe a month. I haven't seen Sona for even longer. Nobody plays Karma, and I don't think her rework will change that simply because, by the sound of it, they pushed her further in the direction of mage than support. Lulu is still unpopular despite her technically good scaling and ability to be aggressive, because she's still squishy. Janna is only rarely picked. Taric is picked in ranked (or at least in the ~1200-1300 Elo), but he's pretty much the only "clerical" support that IS picked, and only because he serves as a tank/initiator late game, and not as a liability as Soraka, Janna, Sona and Lulu do.

You know there's a problem with support champions when someone would prefer to take a mid champion over an intended support champion. When a support champion is an unattractive pick, Riot has done something too severe to the class as a whole.

VanceStubbs

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratcharmer View Post
"support" has developed multiple meanings, one of them being 0-cs.

It's original meaning (which OP is using) was a character designed to help other champions.
So stunning the enemy is not "helping other champions"? Harassing in the laning phase while the carry is farming is not "helping"? What about abilities that can disable entire teams, that's not considered as helping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raburi View Post
To everyone using the argument that "omg if they're bot lane and not taking CS and helping get kills they're support!", realise this:
No, you really don't get it.
You say it like this is a new thing, it's not. It's always been like this, even before LoL, in DotA. Everybody who has an ability that doesn't require many items or levels can be used as support.
Only difference between everybody else and "real supports" is that "real supports" are more defensive, also most of their skills are beneficial not just a few.

xstrifex

12-03-2012

People are confusing support lanes with kill lanes.

Support - You have at least one of the following abilities: non-self heal, shield, buff for teammate.
Kill Lane - Anyone that doesn't have any of the above.

It means that that traditional support champs (Soraka, Janna, Taric, Sona, etc) who contributed to a very passive laning situation are no longer the king of the hill in the support role. Their sustain has been knocked down to the point where an aggressive "kill lane" is actually viable. This is not a bad thing. There should be more diversity in team comps. You shouldn't HAVE to take a babysitter champ like Janna or Soraka to win a game.

Seuss

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-03-2012

Farmless mage =/= support?

crispymelonbread

12-03-2012

He is talking about mid champs going support like zyra who still has significant AP ratios in case you want to just start farming late game and buy a rabadon's like kreppo.

Sessamo

12-03-2012

Are we just pretending Lulu, Nunu and Sona aren't supports now?

LeBonkers

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanceStubbs View Post
It was always there, until there's an easy way for them to farm somewhere else like in DotA
....Where do they farm in DotA?