How to counter Darius with Nidalee

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SummonerSquid

12-03-2012

Hi all,

I main Nidalee support, but I'm also decent in mid and top. I usually build tanky AD (early: armor boots, wriggle's, phage, late: atma's, warmog, youmuu's) in top lane. I always start boots and HP pots, quickly trap my lane, then port back and refill mana. My masteries are either 17-13-0 or 1-29-0 if I'm feeling unlucky. Runes are either AD, AS, and crits, or armor, HP per level, MR, MR per level, and MS. I consider myself to be the average player, my ELO fluctuates between 1100 and 1300.

My biggest problem is with gap closing bruisers like Irelia, Xin, Jax, Wu, etc., which makes sense because those are all considered counterpicks for Nidalee.

I also have a hard time laning against Darius, despite being a counterpick for him. I understand Nidalee is all about poking, and you have to consistently poke whenever you can, as long as you're not giving up farm. However, Nidalee's aa range is only 525, and Darius' apprehend is 550, making it impossible to poke him without getting caught, even if you run out of brush, activating her passive. I tend to avoid trading with him unless I get caught, and it seems he can out-trade Nidalee, at any level. I avoid trades unless he has very low HP, because he can kill you with 40% HP while you're full.

He deals physical, magic, and true damage, which makes it difficult to build defenses against him. True damage bypasses armor and mr, so you have to build HP, which I usually try to do before late game.

I don't see how Nidalee counters Darius. Apprehend's range is longer than her AA, which makes it hard to harass. What am I doing wrong? Should I start building AP and throwing spears?

Comments on my runes and masteries would be especially helpful.
http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/23362818#profile

Duke of Dance

12-03-2012

I thought nid's abilities has super long range. If this is true then just don't attack him with aa unless you are certain you could finish him off.

Ayame Kiyoshi

12-03-2012

As poker players say " Sometime you just don't have the cards ", there exists the possibility of Darius just being one of Nidalee's counters. There really is nothing you can do about that. However, if you want to keep playing like that, I could give some pieces of advice that MIGHT work.

1. Try building AP on some occasions vs. Darius. This way you can poke him with the spear at long range, without being affected. It takes some time to get used with getting CS like that, if you only play her AD, but it's okay.

2. If you're playing AD, harass him with the spear as much as possible and wait for the jungler's ganks. Don't AA him when his Apprehend is NOT on cooldown. You know what happens.

3. Farming game. Farm more than him. It's enough to do your part in winning the lane. With the jungler's help, if you're farmed up, you can dominate him.

That is basically it, there's not much to say. You can learn some of Darius' counters.

SummonerSquid

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayame Kiyoshi View Post
As poker players say " Sometime you just don't have the cards ", there exists the possibility of Darius just being one of Nidalee's counters. There really is nothing you can do about that.
That is basically it, there's not much to say. You can learn some of Darius' counters.
The thing is, Nidalee is considered to be one of Darius' hardest counters. I'm asking why. I think I just need to work on watching his apprehend.