About to hit 30...Tips before ranked?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Narcelepsy

12-03-2012

I haven't bought a lot of champions but I have been learning to play each roll. Some I play better than others. I have played with my brother and his friends who are around 1500 elo ( not the highest I know... but they sure know a lot about the game ) and I found I can't lane at all against these level 30s. I can jungle but that seems a lot easier.

What is the best way to learn how to lane properly so I can keep up with these guys?
An example of this is I was Cho'gath laning top against Renekton. He 5-0'd me and zoned me out until my tower was down. That felt great! : ) What is the best way to improve in general even?

Ayame Kiyoshi

12-03-2012

First of all, hello.
Secondly, I strongly advise you not to go que ranked as soon as you hit 30. You are going to make your life and others' life miserable. You are NOT experienced with solo que and draft games and you are going to lose, because you can't put up the same game as everyone else. You are going to drag them down, and it's not going to be nice.
As far as I can tell, you're familiar with every role, but as much as playing them... I don't think so. Get a feel for every role once you get 30. How do you do that? Read guides. There are alot in this forum, at the guide list topic. Pick 1-3 champions you like for each role. Then, when you decently know each, pick a favorite role and start mastering that one.
Thirdly, about improving generally, there are some tips. Don't rage, don't blame others, blame only yourself, for you could have done better, get LoLReplay and study your games afterwards, watch streams regularily, read guides, practice.
My best advice would be to play at least 100 matches in Normal Draft. It is the close to ranked that exist. You'll get a feel for the banned champions, selecting roles and whatnot. Practice alot.

For more extended advice, check up the guide topic I mentioned earlier. It has everything you need: from how to get out of the so-called " elo hell " to how to improve. Everything! Learn that **** by heart!

Arch4ik

12-03-2012

^ nailed it.

Narcelepsy

12-03-2012

I like the idea of 3 champs per role. There's no way I will queue for ranked in the near future, I want to be as good as I'm going to get until I need to improve by playing better people.I played SC2 fairly competitively (Diamond) so I know how much work I'm going to need to put in if it's in anyway as difficult.

Do you guys have a rune page for almost every character you play? Right now my runes are really general since I only have the starting two pages.

Also would you suggest buying RP to buy new champs or simply farm games? I was thinking I should be spending my IP on runes rather than the champions.

Edit: Just discovered said guide section. This is gold!

Ayame Kiyoshi

12-03-2012

Firstly, if you need rune pages for particular champions, you can find them in the guides. No need to fill entire pages with it. Also, in order for you to pick those champs, I would advise either getting a PBE account, or watching streams and guides. First one would be best, since you can play them by yourself and the losses don't count.

As far as RP and IPs go... it's really a matter of financial possibilites. If you can afford buying champions with RPs, it is recommended, since you can spend IPs on runes. Also, if you prioritize something with RPs, make that the rune pages. Get the maximum, you'll need it.

Flayne

12-03-2012

Things to do before going into ranked in order of importance:

-Don't do ranked until you have at least 400 wins under your belt for the sake of experience

- Until you have a variety of level 3 runes to use, one page for AD and one for AP

- Learn every role until you can at least do decently in each of them, there is NO GUARANTEE that you will get the role you want in ranked

- Learn how to communicate efficiently with team

Why I say this? Do not take this as offence:

I assure you, and anyone else below 400 wins that entering ranked at your current position will result in you falling in Elo, you will most probably not go very high unless you get lucky and get carried up by other more skilled players. Of course that will never happen because in each player slot, there is a 50% chance of them being a decent player or being unqualified for ranked.

Trust me, I know of personal experience, I only recently got to 1300 and I have to say that even I at 800+ (close to 900) wins feel sort of lucky to be at that Elo.

NecroCryptic

12-03-2012

ranked as soon as you hit 30? Don't even think about. I've been there...

Etherimp

12-03-2012

To give you an idea on rune pages...

I have the following:

AD Bot - Flat AD red, Flat AD Quint, Armor Yellow, ASpd Blue
AD Top - Flat AD Red, Flat AD Quint, Armor Yellow, MR/Lvl Blue
AP Mid - MPen Red, AP Quint, MReg Yellow, MR/Lvl Blue
AP Top - MPen Red, Health Quint, Armor Yellow, MR/Lvl Blue
Tanky Support - Armor Red, Armor Yellow, MR/Lvl blue, GP10 Quint
Sustain Support - AD Red, MReg Yellow, CDR Blue, GP10 Quint
Jungle - AD/AR pen Red, AD/Ar Pen Quint, Armor Yellow, Mr/Lvl blue
ASpd Jungle - ASpd Red, Health Quint, Armor Yellow, Mr/lvl blue
AP No Mana - MPen Red, Health Yellow, CDR Blue, Health or Flat AP Quint

Some of these haven't been optimized in a while, but they pretty much cover me for every champion I play and every possible role. There are certain champions which require a specific rune set.. Akali for example.

iDpark

12-03-2012

I like MS quints.

AD bot, Ad top are the same for me, MS quints, Ad marks, Armor seals, Mr /lv glyphs.
Ap mid and ap top are the same also. Ms quints, Mpen, Armor seals (need to change), Mr /lv glyphs.
Support runepage, Armor marks, GP10 quints, gp10 seals, CDR glyphs (working on this one too)
Tons of armor rune page. (Tank junglers) Armor marks, Armor seals. MS quints, mr/lv glyphs

Have 300-400 wins normal, a good gauge is whether you have won more than lost in ranked.
60% wins over losses is GREAT. anything above 50 is good.

I'd reccomend you play 10-20 draft minimum before ranked.

MY tip: Buy all the champions to 4800 ip.
This will ensure a couple things.
One, you have played many games to grind up the IP
Two, you know most of the skills in the game and know how most champions work
three, you can trade easier with teammates.

buying the 6300 when they're on sale, isn't a bad idea, and make sure you start early, because some 6300 don't go on sale very often.

right after hitting lv30 I played ranked, dropped to 850, climbed back up to 1250 by the end of S2.
It's just not fun.

Keliaas

12-04-2012

Learn every champion beyond mediocracy, then you are ready for ranked. You need to know what they do and what they can't do. You need to know every lane choice and how to counter it. If you don't, you are just a leech on your team.