"Everytime I lose, I didn't carry hard enough"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Albatrosspro

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrend View Post
This is the mindset I go into ranked games with. If I lose a game then I need to look at what I need to do better. Of course some games are uncarriable by anyone non-psychic and non-perfect, but keeping this mentality soothes any kind of rage I had for this game. If mid and jungle died to a countergank while I was top, I should have headed down there to help out/clean up. If the enemy mid roamed top and got a kill without a response, I should have been more vigilant with pings/mias/counterganking.

If you play every game with the mentality "I will only lose if I fail to carry my team, and that's MY responsibility", ranked becomes more fun and your ELO will rise much faster

It's never my team's fault, it's my fault. Raging at them will get me nowhere. I need to get better so I can carry harder, and that's the end of it.

EDIT: For the people that think carrying is 1 man army, that's absolutely ridiculous. Carrying means making plays around your map, getting the best environment for your team to succeed, snowballing, and making the right calls. If they ran into a bush and got ganked, I should have warded better, etc

EDIT 2: Score isn't everything. 6/0/0 can mean you only snowballed your lane, 2/2/7 can mean you snowballed other lanes and the team as a whole is stronger
I'd like to put my two cents in to this one. I like your focus on personal responsibility, but fundamentally I think this is bad advice.

I played over a thousand ranked games in S2, from as low as 600 Elo. I improved a lot, and learned a lot. However, all this is within the cesspool that is low Elo ranked. To be sure, carrying yourself out is the only way to do it, and that means focusing on your own gameplay and not that of your teammates. The problem is, unless your true Elo is plat and you can literally stomp game after game after game, you WILL run into problems. You will jungle with all 3 lanes failing and feeding miserably and have to throw your hands up and move on. You will play mid, being unlucky enough to go against one of the only other people at your Elo who's actually proficient at laning and can counter you. Or you'll do great all game and make one small mistake in a teamfight that costs your team the game. Some of these are completely your fault. Some of them are completely your teammates' fault (because, let's face it, not every - single - game is carryable unless you are plat/diamond and even there...). In a nutshell, solo queue is a roller coaster. You get better, and in turn gain Elo, by focusing on your own gameplay and working to improve it.

But with the attitude that you can always win by carrying harder, you will just burn yourself out. How do I know this? I adopted that attitude for a while. Somewhere in the 900s, when I played regularly with friends who were 1200+ but I myself was stuck way down in hell, I began to tell myself that I could win every single game through carrying. Sounds good, right? It's good only until you lose. And that's when you hate on yourself. You'll wonder why you can't carry noobs, and then you'll start killing yourself over every last detail. It quickly becomes counterproductive. In an unpleasant environment - which characterizes many if not most games below gold - you can only play this way for so long. Pretty soon it just won't be worth it and you'll be pulling your hair out.

There's a different way of looking at it that I think is much healthier, while still retaining the focus on self-improvement. That is to keep a percentage in mind-- just about how often you'd like to win, or think you can win, playing your best. 60% is a good number to start. Play your best, always play to improve, but don't absolutely destroy yourself by thinking that every.single.game must be carried and if you can't do it, well, you suck. Shoot to win as many as you can, not every single one. I have found this to be much better in the long run. This way, you can have a box in your mind - the "40% box" or the "30% box", of games that just don't work out. You still try to learn from them, but it's always expected that you'll take a step back somewhere along the way. For people who are struggling, I actually think this is much healthier and a better way to go than OP's suggestion.

Tl;Dr-- I like where you're doing with this, but instead of soothing rage as you say, I think for most people this mindset leads very quickly to high amounts of frustration and self-blame.

Tails66

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-03-2012

This is somewhat true but remember team game.

Its not all on you, its not all your fault. When say CLG.EU loses do they just blame Froggen or one person? Is it just one person fault? No the team lost, the individual did not. (I am aware they are pro teams)

Now I know you all say that if your good you will carry yourself up through Elo but remember it is a TEAM game more than anything. You cannot and will not carry every game and I hate the mentality of its always your fault you lost. Its not, the team lost. Not just you

Kirballs1

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstarsage View Post
Doesn't matter if you're support, if you lost, you failed to carry your team. You failed to make the appropriate choices and failed to aid your team as required.

Doesn't matter the role or anything.
At my Elo playing support is amazing and wins games.People love having me in a team when they see what a good support accomplishes who understands objectives.Duo bots are significantly the most influential lane that either feeds or gets super fed since the risk/reward are doubled there.I rather suppor or adc then let my carry/support feed.

Old Vegas Dad

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tails66 View Post
This is somewhat true but remember team game.

Its not all on you, its not all your fault. When say CLG.EU loses do they just blame Froggen or one person? Is it just one person fault? No the team lost, the individual did not. (I am aware they are pro teams)

Now I know you all say that if your good you will carry yourself up through Elo but remember it is a TEAM game more than anything. You cannot and will not carry every game and I hate the mentality of its always your fault you lost. Its not, the team lost. Not just you

it is even deeper than that, 1 player can make 1 "trivial" mistake at the wrong time and lose the match.

Two examples

I had a crappy game the other night, I failed on 2 of my ults as hecarim late game and fial smited baron, Rarely do I beleive I am the reason my team lost but it is very clear to me it was my poor performance on those 3 plays that lost us the game final score we were 28 kills them 22. Literally nothing my teammates could do to account for my piss poor play, I screwed up cost them the match evne though i played great the rest of the time.

Better example, we are beating ateam hard game is getting late we have baron and are seiging thier inner tower our bad grgas who was about to be carried made one of the worst out of the blue ults I ever seen. He just decided to ult, through skarner and chogath onto me the fed ADC carry, this got me killed, and at the same time through the kat he fed directly onto my buddy who was also a huge reason we were winning on support zyra getting him isntantly killed.

The rest of my team was ok to terribad gragas so they all got mopped up in short order and the enemy team walked down the lane too middle tower inhib 2 turrets and gg'd us from this one idiots worst ult ever. The guy literally single handedly lost us a game were on almsot certainly about to win with ONE terrible ability use.....

Ashrel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-03-2012

Loosely related, but why did Riot reset everyone's elo. It just lets all the bads reroll and drag my elo down into the pits of hell. You cant carry a game where duo bot trolls feed and play horribly/don't ward (read: my last game).

More on topic: It should never be just one person carrying the game. What you really described was jungle/top-lane-after-enemy-tower-goes-down. In fact, it's pretty much impossible for one person to carry the game except in the most rare of cases (full item riven at 30 mins, etc.) So my question is, why do you support the self-deprecating mindset that makes the game less enjoyable than it already is with all the trolls?

zakarul

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrend View Post
This is the mindset I go into ranked games with. If I lose a game then I need to look at what I need to do better. Of course some games are uncarriable by anyone non-psychic and non-perfect, but keeping this mentality soothes any kind of rage I had for this game. If mid and jungle died to a countergank while I was top, I should have headed down there to help out/clean up. If the enemy mid roamed top and got a kill without a response, I should have been more vigilant with pings/mias/counterganking.

If you play every game with the mentality "I will only lose if I fail to carry my team, and that's MY responsibility", ranked becomes more fun and your ELO will rise much faster

It's never my team's fault, it's my fault. Raging at them will get me nowhere. I need to get better so I can carry harder, and that's the end of it.

EDIT: For the people that think carrying is 1 man army, that's absolutely ridiculous. Carrying means making plays around your map, getting the best environment for your team to succeed, snowballing, and making the right calls. If they ran into a bush and got ganked, I should have warded better, etc

EDIT 2: Score isn't everything. 6/0/0 can mean you only snowballed your lane, 2/2/7 can mean you snowballed other lanes and the team as a whole is stronger
hope is rekindled

Dragonrend

12-04-2012

bump

Dragonrend

02-21-2013

This post has actually made me some really good friends that I play with all the time.