[Featured Discussion] Xerath's big problem

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

THC DadLife

Recruiter

12-04-2012

Xerath's basic attacks are OP bro. His range is really good so use it.

But for real, xerath's lane is alot like Gragas in a way. Pre-6, you can only hope to kill them if they mess up hard. But with xerath's range, he can farm safely till 6, go B for 2x Doran rings, comeback and control lane for the rest of the game. He also is hard to gank if you don't harass with E. I dont think Xerath has a problem at all, whenever I play him, I'm dominating my lane. He also has incredibly strong ganking potential, and can kill both players bot lane without taking a turret shot. If the enemies try for a dragon, you can steal dragon and pick up a free kill or 2 without ever being in danger. Xerath doesn't need a rework, people just need to start playing him less aggressive pre-6. Every Q I use in lane pre-6 is to grab farm I can't safely get otherwise. Then at 6, 2 or 3 Q's into E + ult is game over. Also, removing from locus of power and flashing is so hard to escape lol.

KevinDelMarr

12-04-2012

It's interesting because when you play Xerath you are always on the fringe of battle. Once you do your full W,R,Q,R,R combo, you go into a utility aspect, either hitting stragglers at range or securing kills with your stun (Rylai looks to be a nice item to have, since slowing people for 15% at range, and how it synergizes with Liandry's only strengethens your utility). After a fight when everybody scatters a 1.5 second stun is very powerful, since most bruisers will probably duke it out, he can assist in those post-fight skirmishes.

Xerath works best in chaos, when people are worried more about themselves than the things around him. That is where he shines. When you play Xerth you should be a constant presence on the battlefield. Despite its AP nerf, this is why I strongly believe Athene's is a core item. The mana regen is immense, the CDR makes your Q and W that much more spammable, and when you can constantly seige at 1300 range while ignoring most MR, you are that always present threat and demoralizer.

DEN15 512

12-04-2012

I main xerath, and I never have problems getting kills. Just poke till theyre at about 300-400, then EQ Ignite and finish with a few basic attacks. I usually get 6+ kills by the time enemies surrender at 20 minutes.

RadicalEquinox

12-04-2012

Xeraths and Ziggs Q both need to be buffed, IMO.

Ncik666

12-04-2012

My friends tell me I'm the best Xerath they've ever seen, so I guess I'll contribute.

I like Xerath right now. He's unexpected, which is valuable as champion. His early game is tough to get through, but playing him like Morgana, as was said earlier, for me is the way to go. Just push like crazy. The in your face burst casters like LB and Akali can't usually keep up with that pressure, forcing them to either stay and protect their tower, or lose the tower while they gank. Meanwhile you pick up some insane farm.

I usually start boots 3, into Kage's > 2 dorans > rabbadons > void staff. By then if I'm not melting teamfights I need to start adjusting build.

ThundaKing

12-04-2012

well the thing about xerath i find is that he has a very hard time against gap closers, but that was to be given. he is one of the best pokes in the game cause its up almost every 3-2 secs and does a substantial amount of dmg. The thing about his q that most people dont really get and it makes his play style hard is the fact that you have to lead your shots. Almost every xerath, not all but most, just end up shooting it where the champ is, and not where the champ is going to go. He is a very good champ but has a couple of faults.

Build wise though, me personally i start amp tome, and 1hp pot, then boots. Next i go for crystal scepter just for the hp and the slow to land more abillities. after that just go into regular mage build. For boots though i dont get sorc shoes, i like to get boots of lucidity for the cd but i get sorc shoes depending on who im fighting.

Ronyk

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporal courage View Post
But for real, xerath's lane is alot like Gragas in a way. Pre-6, you can only hope to kill them if they mess up hard. But with xerath's range, he can farm safely till 6, go B for 2x Doran rings, comeback and control lane for the rest of the game. He also is hard to gank if you don't harass with E. I dont think Xerath has a problem at all, whenever I play him, I'm dominating my lane. He also has incredibly strong ganking potential, and can kill both players bot lane without taking a turret shot. If the enemies try for a dragon, you can steal dragon and pick up a free kill or 2 without ever being in danger. Xerath doesn't need a rework, people just need to start playing him less aggressive pre-6. Every Q I use in lane pre-6 is to grab farm I can't safely get otherwise. Then at 6, 2 or 3 Q's into E + ult is game over. Also, removing from locus of power and flashing is so hard to escape lol.
Absolutely correct on all points. As a Xerath player, I would cackle like a maniac if he received a buff. As an honest player, I can safely say that he needs no rework or buff.

Xocolatl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2012

He changed a ton after patch (due to itemization)...I haven't had the time to rethink my tactic with him yet, but I'm thinking:
Athene's Unholy Grail -> Sorc Boots/Lucidity -> Liandry's Torment (or whatever the magic Mardred is called) instead of the old standby Deathcap.

I call my build the "fire into the dark" build. Basically pull the old school Heimy--run up, Locus, Arcanopulse twice INTO THE FOG OF WAR. Athene's will keep you up for a long time, and enemies would often find themselves entering a team fight with 75% HP.
Seriously, with nearly infinite range and good amount of regen, who's going to stop you? Pantheon/TF jumping onto you, maybe. Eve? Screw that, it's not like she's ever around anymore. And try catching me after I drop Locus.

Mistful

12-04-2012

Make his E the same length as Q while using W .-. .

PerfidiousAlbion

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannamoth View Post
I think his passive is stupidly strong. With a full build you get close to 100 bonus armor late game. Do I think the passive fits the idea of a long range seige caster? Not really.
This is the one thing about his kit that really bothers me. If his passive was on a champion like Swain or Rumble it would almost be broken. But it just doesn't mesh at all with the rest of Xerath's kit, making it largely a waste. If an enemy AD gets close to Xerath and nobody's actively peeling for him he's dead, with or without the passive.

I would happily trade his extremely strong passive that runs counter to his design for a weaker passive that actually has some synergy with the rest of his kit.