[Featured Discussion] Xerath's big problem

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SpartanEl33T

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathour View Post
Weak laning phase -> insane team-melting lategame.

You can't have both. You ether have a strong early and weak late, strong late and weak early, or average in both. Xerath with a Dcap/Void Staff/Sorc Shoes/AUG/Morello's Evil Tome/other situational item is scary enough that he can melt TANKS.
He needs an ult rework to make it feel less clunky and perhaps a bit shorter casting times. His damage output doesn't need to be changed one bit.
Unless you're teemo

Phil Nye

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crs SYDTKO View Post
You should be using Locus out of vision for a free poke, or farming for free with it at a safe range. It can also be used to gap close on opponents once you have secured an advantage.
^This. Getting points into W second is much more helpful, as it allows you to poke out of the fog of war, farm more safely, and doesn't sacrifice as much damage for the sake of utility like most other spells do (thanks to the % pen, which while isn't a lot early game, still helps over most skills people consider "one point wonders"), not to mention it's a little cheaper than putting points into E mana-wise, especially since E only gets more base damage and mana cost increased by leveling (no increase in stun duration). And of course the best thing is Wing from a spot where your opponent can't see you pre-6 and using that surprise boost to get in and land your combo.

Also, something I picked up, sometimes when you throw your E on someone, you can take your time to throw the other spell, and depending on the champ you can land some free AAs during the laning phase because the opponent is anticipating your Q and trying to dodge it (obviously stronger on champs with skillshots/slow AA animations).

Farranor

12-04-2012

Xerath has so many drawbacks that there are almost too many good ways to buff him. Make W instant, make W not root him, make E->Q stun refresh something, make E actually root, make the stun multi-target, change the passive to grant range instead of armor, and so on.

smileyssd

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee22 View Post
I just find i can never get to this point because his laning phase is so weak i just can't every afford these items until it is much to late in the game and we've already won or lost due to the other 4 members of the team
all you need is a jungle to gank

KevinDelMarr

12-04-2012

What do people think of this Utility buff idea to Mage Chains? http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...ht=mage+chains

Would give him a cool way to apply more CC to enemies, made it to fit thematically with Xerath, could add some interesting new gameplay options or effects. Haven't really put a whole lot of thought into its balance, but I tried to make it somewhat reasonable

FourthLegion

12-04-2012

I, personally, love the idea about buffing his W to make Xerath immune to displacement effects while it's active. It would help him out a lot, and honestly he kind of needs it. I've done some playing on PBE, and as far as I can tell, he's much weaker than he was. His wave clear's quite weak without rushing Deathcap (which itself has been nerfed), so perhaps a buff to Q's base damage is in order. Just enough to let it 1-shot caster minions at a decent level of AP without rushing Deathcap.

That AoE Mage Chains root idea also is quite intriguing. I don't think it'd break his kit, but who am I to say that? :V

Ueber

12-04-2012

As much as I love the champion design, I just can't stand his mechanics. When I want to play a long range sniper style mage, I am going to play Lux. Sure, her late game bust potential and range isn't quite as high as Xerath's is. However, she has so much more depth and is capable of doing so much more early-mid game, in my opinion. When you compare the E+Q combo that you're going to be throwing out most game, I'd probably still take Lux's even if you got Xerath's range perminantly.

Wrajax

12-04-2012

An attack pattern that goes "E, Q....nothing" levels 1-5, and whenever his ulti isn't up - so basically half the game, just feels like something is missing.

Xerath feels to me like he should be a Brand, or a Ziggs. All Damage, All The Time. One of the ways those guys get their damage is because they have 4 damaging spells. Xerath just feels a little....small caliber .22 compared to Ziggs' .45

Xerath's New Passive: Xerath gains 2% Magic Penetration and 20 range on his spells per level

Xerath's New W: Xerath's armor explodes away from him, damaging and knocking back all nearby enemies. Maybe 1/2 the distance of a Janna ulti, enough to give him some space. And he does have an animation where he does THIS EXACT THING already with his taunt. It's a spell that combos with his E, knocking someone back and stunning them, works with his Range theme, just does everything. Honestly it doesn't matter. Just SOMETHING that does damage and a status effect so he isn't so anti-rhythmic with his abilities like he has now. Give him an Electric Wall like Karthus, a Static Field like Viktor, just something.

Thoughts?

El loup69

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathour View Post
Weak laning phase -> insane team-melting lategame.

You can't have both. You ether have a strong early and weak late, strong late and weak early, or average in both. Xerath with a Dcap/Void Staff/Sorc Shoes/AUG/Morello's Evil Tome/other situational item is scary enough that he can melt TANKS.
He needs an ult rework to make it feel less clunky and perhaps a bit shorter casting times. His damage output doesn't need to be changed one bit.
Uh, you've heard of diana right?

Xerack

12-04-2012

Xerath is by far my favorite mage and probably among my favorite champions in general. He was my 2nd most played champ in season 2 if I recall.

Early Game
In general, his early game isn't the best which is to be expected. Its pretty much just a nonstop festival of throwing out Q's to farm and occasionally harass. His Q combined with W is an excellent harassment combo. He really shines once he hits 6. His ulti is increbily powerful simply because you can just unleash this massive torrent of damage from out of the blue. I can't count the number of times I've seen people flash away from me when I tagged them with a simple Q-E combo without the intention to follow up with an ult. I find his early game overall to be slightly weak but it's compensated for by his incredible late game team fight.

Mid Game
This is where Xerath really starts to pick up steam. You should by now have completed or be well on your way to completing your first or second major item. Your Q-E-RRR combo is incredibly potent and will shred most champions. Even if you don't kill them outright, they wont be sticking around to fight back usually. The problem I run into around this time is that his W has a cast time. It is extremely annoying to press W to launch a long range Q that would end up as a kill only to find that the cast time has allowed them that vital few moments to escape. Also, his Q not being able to clear a wave in one shot without substantial AP is kind of frustrating, especially when other mages can do this no problem.

End Game
By now you should have reached your item builds completion and be moving to close out your item list. This is where Xerath becomes a monster on the field. Especially with the changes to penetration. You will be shredding everything with your W on. You can basically kill any decently squishy member of the enemy team with no problem. This is also where things get frustrating. I find that if you W and then unleash your combo you will likely never get all 3 hits on your R on the same target simply because they have gotten out of range or their team has moved end to ruin your life. Which brings me to another point, Why can a man who is chained to the earth be moved around by things such as knockups and blitz grab/naut anchor? That makes little sense. Also once you blow your ult, you are pretty much just retreating backwards throwing out Q's. Is it really a problem? Well when you look at his kit as a massive front damage mage not really but it does feel kinda terrible to know that after your R you won't be of the most use unlike mages like annie/ahri/cass/ori.

Thus I think he could use a few small buffs or perhaps a change to his passive because as is, his passive is stupidly OP come late game on top of not fitting with his kit.

Make his passive something along the lines of:
Unlimited Power
For every time Xerath lands a spell he gains a charge with a maximum of 4-5 stacks. Each charge would do something along the lines of:
-Increases spell range by 5%
-Increases spell cast time by 10%
-Increases base spell damage by a small amount

This could address several issues that Xerath currently has such as his ults cast time, his inability to farm whole waves early/mid game, and the ability of enemies to just blink away as soon as they get tagged with the first spell causing you to blow CD's for nothing.

Other buffs:
Make him unable to be moved while his W is on. Its pretty dumb how he can be moved as is since he is chained to the ground.
Make his auto attack particle faster. Seriously, its lightning or energy or what have you, shouldn't is move a little faster?

Other than that I see nothing wrong with our favorite long ranged rapist.

(Also as a side note, can you guys make his spells particles change with the skin you are using? I'd really like it if his spell colors matched his skins. Ex: Green spells with Runeborn Xerath)