[Featured Discussion] Xerath's big problem

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tosin Loads

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinDelMarr View Post
Wow, this is the most desperate attempt to say Xerath is outclassed I've seen yet. Lux and Kog'Maw make convincing arguments, but this just, pathetic.
How did you not catch his sarcasm especially with his last words?

Tosin Loads

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuujinmaru View Post
Dannamoth. The problem with Xerath, aside from needing 40% CDR to be effective at sieging, is that unless you rush cap into other big AP items, his Q will never clear a wave. That is a huge problem. It means if you get slightly behind with him, you will lose your lane (from a pushing standpoint) as the other mid can clear and roam, while you have to auto attack the minions to finish the wave. This is really problematic against popular champs like Ori, Ahri, Morg, pretty much any real AOE mid champ who can clear a wave with a full set of skills and leave to gank with little resistance from Xerath.
Late game he seems fine, you have to understand a decently fed Xerath's mid-late Q is a mini Lux ult. If you were clearing entire waves by lvl 6-10 then it would be a bit unbalanced. Also besides Morg, all of the champs you mentioned have to combo to clear waves whereas Xer is using 1 spell... given Morg's other abilities.. we know why she can.

I would though like to see some small adjustments made to his spellcasting animations to quicken them up a tad & changes to his Locus of Power. Keep the range of LoP but instead of AP Pen make it while he is in this mode his other 3 abilities get altered in some way. His Ult could do minor silences similar to Viktor's Ult or slow, his E (stun) when used could mark 2 champs.. the selected champ & the closest other champ if in range either to stun or reveal them for a certain amount of time to land a stun if they go in a bush, & Q gains spell pen or could slow (would seem like Zyra's snare without the snare part & extra range+slow)... I dunno I'm spitballing.

Last Edit: Or what if Mage Chains was exactly that... you cast it on someone & 1-2 other champs near get linked. If you hit 1 with an ability, they all get stunned.

l3lazian

The Council

12-04-2012

I still Xerath's one of the top APs in the game... Diana is kind of a cockblock to almost every AP that can't shield, however.

Phil Nye

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crs SYDTKO View Post
I still Xerath's one of the top APs in the game... Diana is kind of a cockblock to almost every AP that can't shield, however.
Didn't Doublelift mention you have a pretty good Xerath yourself? I just wish this champ was used more often, he has potential.

l3lazian

The Council

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Nye View Post
Didn't Doublelift mention you have a pretty good Xerath yourself? I just wish this champ was used more often, he has potential.
I would say so, but everyone would always say they are better than they are. He has some minor vulnerabilities like the cooldown of his ult being a primary one.

WG Bbonee

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2012

Personally I just don't think Xerath is a good mid. When he's laneing mid he gets almost no use from his passive, unless a jungler ganks him. However, Why not put him top? Thats what I've been doing in normals, And it seems to be working out rather well.

ninbushido

12-04-2012

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2454789
Look at OP and Morello's post.

IdkiPickedaName

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannamoth View Post
I often times will also pick up a chalice if i'm spending a lot of time in lane farming/pushing. I suppose the play style I use for Xerath is similar to morgana -> push wave and gank.
Do you think his ratio or base damage on Q should be increased? A large majority of mages are able to kill the caster minions in a wave with one skill use (if they have an aoe spell) and Xerath struggles to do that until he gets a deathcap.

That is my main qualm with Xerath, well that and that I don't actually feel the need to use locus of power until it's rank 4 (it sort of hurts your mid game having to level the skill so much w/o increasing your damage really).

l3lazian

The Council

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdkiPickedaName View Post
That is my main qualm with Xerath, well that and that I don't actually feel the need to use locus of power until it's rank 4 (it sort of hurts your mid game having to level the skill so much w/o increasing your damage really).
You should be using Locus out of vision for a free poke, or farming for free with it at a safe range. It can also be used to gap close on opponents once you have secured an advantage.

Merluza00

12-04-2012

his kit is weird.
OP is right that unless you have ulti up, the stun is pretty useless besides using is as an escape tool.
Having extra armor on a long range mage is a contradiction.

Itemization is another problem. he needs to build a decent amount of AP and Mpen to maximize his passives and AP and CDR to maximize his active abilities. The main sources of CDR on items are Boots and Chalice, but those items give a very low amount of AP and no MPen. If he goes for MPen, Void staff was the core item as it gives a lot of AP, but he then has the CDR problem and the wrong way of stacking Mpen and %Mpen. So he has to build a little of everything being a subpar burst mage and a subpar sustained damage mage.

Hope that S3 solves some of his problems