Less than half the champions available were used/banned in IPL 5

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TeamWorkTom

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamcario View Post
as far as balance goes, league is way more balanced than most fighters for example. it could be ohhhhhh so much worse.
LoL is not a fighter... Terrible analogy.

dzell

12-03-2012

I wish we would have saw more of someone like Swain... he seems like he would counter Diana/Jax somewhat, both of which were played a good bit.

Pryotra

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CertainlyT View Post
I am actually really proud of our live balance team. Not only were 66 different champions picked, but of the ~40 not played, a large number fit into the following categories:

Clearly tournament viable but just not used (e.g., Kayle, J4, Singed, Hecarim, Sivir, Udyr);
Niche picks that never had a use-case in this event (e.g., Fizz),
Lesser used champs whose players got were either not in attendance or were knocked out early (e.g., Kassadin, Fiddlesticks, Swain); and
Potential breakout stars that none of us would be surprised seeing competitively in a month's time (e.g., Varus, Wu Kong, Syndra).

Major props to the Live team.
yep, major props for ignoring promises.

#RIPHeimer2011

Sure, he needs a rework, but what about those promised NUMBER TWEAKS? or how about that AI upgrade that was even in patch notes but never delivared? Still waiting bro. Impossible for me to respect them after being lied to that hard. Especially when we won't even see this rework till sometime in 2013. Prepare yourselves, Heimer will be the first champ to have a 2nd annual deathday. He'll be 2 years dead Jan. 16th, 2013.

Illyriomysterio

12-03-2012

Quote:
*Fiddle is played as support in major events.

*Swain was used at Worlds, I think by Invictus Gaming(?).

*Wu Kong can dominate a lot of midlane/mage matchups and, coming out of top, might be the single best Champion to put an Orianna ball on.

*I don't think any of us can really assess Syndra's power level right now. Her potential is off the charts though.
It's hardly fair to say that Wu Kong dominates lots of mage setups, when such is true of most top laners.

Ron Fendo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-03-2012

Quote:
*I don't think any of us can really assess Syndra's power level right now. Her potential is off the charts though.
I bet if Vegeta was here he could.

Frychikn

12-03-2012

Quote:

*Wu Kong can dominate a lot of midlane/mage matchups and, coming out of top, might be the single best Champion to put an Orianna ball on.

please tell me what is fizz's "niche"

and why is he a niche champ instead of 1 you guys see as tournament competitive?

Pawstruck

12-03-2012

Quote:

MY POTENTIAL IS LIMITLESS!

Seriously, though. You're clearly exaggerating a bit. We've STILL seen champions like Anivia, Ezreal, Amumu, Orianna, Jax, and etc. over and over and over as picks/bans. It gets boring. Those champions need adjustment, and it's obvious.

Cuz1972

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamWorkTom View Post
LoL is not a fighter... Terrible analogy.
Both types can be ruined by bad balance. Good analogy.

Sagovirus

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG4eva View Post
Balance.

66 champions picked, outside of 107 available is already well over 50% btw... and it's not counting bans.

It's not taking into account the REALLY small size of the sample, the small number of games, and the fact those people playing there ALL have a few champs they will play pretty much anytime if they are available (see : Froggen with Lux/Lee Sin, SoAz with Lee/Kha'Zyx a few others, Weixiao with Vayne, Doublelift with Cait, and so on).

It's far better than you make it out, specially with a few champs dubbed "trash" picked a LOT (and doing good/great) at this IPL, on top of a few champs practically never picked outside of pub stomping (AP Yi for exemple).

Redeemed In Fire

12-03-2012

The thing is, there are champs you just won't see picked for one of 3 reasons:

1. They're risky and depend on snowballing, so it's too easy to run a camp/farm lane against that risky pick and shut it down (LB comes to mind offhand, other assassins)
2. They're vaguely obtuse, requiring a lot of time to master (Fizz, who only really has Tabzz as a good high level player)
3. They only work with many conditions (Galio, for example, wants relatively low CC, double mage enemy comp with his allies doing an aoe comp of their own)

Toss on metasheep refusing to pick a champion that was previously trashed and just plain underplayed champions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frychikn View Post
please tell me what is fizz's "niche"

and why is he a niche champ instead of 1 you guys see as tournament competitive?
Fizz sits at the crossroads between sustained AP, melee mage, and assassin; he absolutely needs a good tank line distracting for him to pull off his tricks. He also has a poor laning phase that can be exploited and counterpicked easily.

Pile on a deceptively high skill cap and the fact that he's an underused archetype...