PLEASE i need help jungling

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jalian

Senior Member

12-03-2012

you should also consider the difficulty of the champion during ganks/team fights. Lee Sin can jungle well but is much harder to use. Kha Zix is an assassin and needs that kind of mentality (enter fights late, isolate the squishy damage dealers). Mundo and Olaf have awesome skillsets that make not only their jungle easy, but their role in a teamfight or a gank easier to understand and manage.

Also, unless you are good with assassin-type champs, tankiness with CC is the way to go. You want to be able to survive your ganks, and use your CC to get your teammates the kills... you don't necessarily need them yourself. I'd recommend Amumu... its hard to lose a game with Amumu.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Etherimp

Senior Member

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalian View Post
you should also consider the difficulty of the champion during ganks/team fights. Lee Sin can jungle well but is much harder to use. Kha Zix is an assassin and needs that kind of mentality (enter fights late, isolate the squishy damage dealers). Mundo and Olaf have awesome skillsets that make not only their jungle easy, but their role in a teamfight or a gank easier to understand and manage.

Also, unless you are good with assassin-type champs, tankiness with CC is the way to go. You want to be able to survive your ganks, and use your CC to get your teammates the kills... you don't necessarily need them yourself. I'd recommend Amumu... its hard to lose a game with Amumu.

Amumu is often banned in ranked, and while his jungle is "easy" because all you have to do is spam E, there's a lot more that goes into being a good Amumu.. IE - knowing when to and when not to initiate, ulti, etc.. This stuff is learned over time. You do have a variety of build options on him also, so knowing when to build what is also important... same with any AP Tanky jungler, tbh.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jalian

Senior Member

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etherimp View Post
Amumu is often banned in ranked, and while his jungle is "easy" because all you have to do is spam E, there's a lot more that goes into being a good Amumu.. IE - knowing when to and when not to initiate, ulti, etc.. This stuff is learned over time. You do have a variety of build options on him also, so knowing when to build what is also important... same with any AP Tanky jungler, tbh.
I see your point. I haven't played Amumu often, but can honestly say that I don't recall ever losing a game with him jungling... but I also do actually know when to initiate, ult, ect., because leveling to 30 a friend and I abused the Kennen Amumu combo... and I basically learned Amumu from watching (this was several years ago, but I still remember). I typically pick him when I see that a) top is not a tank/bruiser and/or b) my team has kennen, sona, or MF. I don't play ranked, however, as I just don't have the time to take LoL seriously enough for ranked, so I did not consider that. My preferred junglers are AD Eve, Kha, and working with Zed now, but have always done well with tankier champs like Skarner, Amumu and Olaf.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tinýviel

Member

12-03-2012

the OP is level 27 - ranked play is not a factor at all.

The key to jungling is less about knowing many types of junglers (though you eventually need that) and more about understanding the jungler mentality. People that typically lane don't know the mindset and its up to you to do it - knowing buff timers, counter jungling tendencies of enemy, dragon control baron control, wards, balancing xp gain with ganks, setting up ganks, likely gank windows for enemy champs etc. You wouldn't believe how often i have to force people to do dragon, even after an obvious opportunity like a bot double kill. People aren't wired to get it unless they are repeatedly beat over the head about it. Junglers have a hard job. You have to know and be aware of everything on the map all at once. You won't win the game late game for your team by carrying, but you'll be the reason they get there to have a chance usually, or end it at the 20 minute mark.

The only way to get there is to focus on a few easy champs like a Maokai or an Amumu. Every champ has its intricacies but they simple don't matter to the level 27 OP. They are strong, relatively easy to learn and use effectively, and hard to screw up. Buy up some of the harder champs absolutely, like a Lee Sin or a Shaco but just realize that you are tying your hands if you start with the hard ones as you will have a whole lot of bad games as you try to learn the jungle role AND your champ's specific challenges


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Etherimp

Senior Member

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinýviel View Post
the OP is level 27 - ranked play is not a factor at all.

The key to jungling is less about knowing many types of junglers (though you eventually need that) and more about understanding the jungler mentality. People that typically lane don't know the mindset and its up to you to do it - knowing buff timers, counter jungling tendencies of enemy, dragon control baron control, wards, balancing xp gain with ganks, setting up ganks, likely gank windows for enemy champs etc. You wouldn't believe how often i have to force people to do dragon, even after an obvious opportunity like a bot double kill. People aren't wired to get it unless they are repeatedly beat over the head about it. Junglers have a hard job. You have to know and be aware of everything on the map all at once. You won't win the game late game for your team by carrying, but you'll be the reason they get there to have a chance usually, or end it at the 20 minute mark.

The only way to get there is to focus on a few easy champs like a Maokai or an Amumu. Every champ has its intricacies but they simple don't matter to the level 27 OP. They are strong, relatively easy to learn and use effectively, and hard to screw up. Buy up some of the harder champs absolutely, like a Lee Sin or a Shaco but just realize that you are tying your hands if you start with the hard ones as you will have a whole lot of bad games as you try to learn the jungle role AND your champ's specific challenges

This is very true. Knowing what junglers start blue or red.. which lanes they are likely to gank first.. Which buffs are most important to them and their team. How fast or slow they are in the jungle and how durable they are.. how good they are at dueling with other junglers.. Timing of buffs/mob spawns, etc.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Warhorrock

Member

12-03-2012

One thing I find for jungling is knowing your champ. You can play a pretty decent jungle just by knowing how to jungle on your own with no counter jungling... at lower level elo anyways.

Things like what item to rush and what ones you build in part to give the most power early for the laning gank phase.

Wards was mentioned and I have to agree this one is pretty huge. Most players have no concept of dragon or when to go for it as I find I'm constantly soloing dragon after a gank on bottom with Shaco.

At my level of play I find many teams leave HUGE amounts of creep to farm once laning is done so boots of mobility come in very handy here.

However this said its important to pick the right jungler or pass it up for a better team composition as people insta lock choices. If I want to learn a jungle I will create a game and play solo with zero AI and simply practice my first jungle route a few times to get a feel for what abilities I will be stacking and what first items I may want. After this playing some solo que unranked is a good way to get a better feel for how to approach real player ganks and what you may need to watch out for with said jungle you're playing.

Hope this helps.


12