Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Help playing Chogath

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lemt

11-25-2009

This thread is full of great suggestions. I approve of AP/Tank Cho, as being a VERY good champ, and simple to play. The boots you should get are Mercury's Treads, to avoid getting stunned too long, And I support Flash and Teleport as the optimal spells. FLash requires you to level up a bit, however, so go with Ghost until you unlock it.

Lovely Dolphin

11-25-2009

Quote:
Giandris:
Get boots early, either the very first item you get or the second when you recall back. Speed is important once you are 6 with your ultimate you need to be point blank on a fleeing enemy.

I suggest warmogs for every tank.

hp regen
boots
boots of speed or mercury
giants Belt
Warmogs
catalyst
rod of ages
glacial shroud
frozen heart

Sorry hp regen is kinda scrub on chogath unless its part of a much greater item u really need.

Chogath regens so much more with his passive 40+hp on kill(even kill from spells). Just get ruby or sapphire 1st. Then boot, catalyst->Roa and more roa

Razerwind

11-25-2009

I guess I'm the only one who enjoys pure AP Chogath.

I usually go Chalice of Harmony, then sorc boots, then rylai's scepter, rod of ages, etc.

I also get Rupture first, then Scream, then Vorpal Spikes, then level up Rupture and Scream to the top before Vorpal. AP Cho'Gath is all about killing champs and vorpal spikes doesn't help that much.

If you go AP Cho'Gath, by level 10 you will be able to kill most champions who are below 90% HP in literally 2 seconds. Let the enemy champ get comfortable. Don't rupture or scream them, just a couple auto attacks to let them know you're there. Then, once they get below 85-90% HP, let the feast begin. The moment the enemy champ stops moving for a second, swiftly hit Q for rupture, W for scream, and R for feast. Do not click these abilities. Do not think about when to do them. Just hit them like that. QWR, done. Typically, the enemy champion will be dead before they hit the ground. This is the advantage of leveling up scream and rupture early instead of vorpal spikes. You can bring the pain early and it shows.

The key to the QWR combo is the speed. I hate to keep emphasizing it, but I see so many Cho'Gaths use scream when the enemy is already running after the rupture. If the enemy lands before you scream, you're not doing it fast enough. You need to be feasting them before they even hit the ground. If the feast doesn't kill them, 1 auto attack will.

You will give up some survivability with AP build, but the rod of ages isn't exactly all AP, it gives you health and mana. Plus the chalice will give you decent MR early on. Use feast everytime it's ready if there's no enemy champions in QWR range...6 feasts and you'll have tank HP without a tank build.

There is a mental game to it as well. Sure, you're not a tank, but you are an AP damage dealer, and the enemy will start to think twice before they even get near you. It's very stressful to lane against Cho'Gath when you know you can't be below 75% HP around him. And with AP build, any champ below 75% HP is a potential kill. They know that, you know that, and that knowledge gives you some needed protection since you're not a tank build.

It requires a different playstyle and it relies heavily on the QWR combo, but AP Cho'Gath is probably the most fun I've had in LoL.

Giandris

11-25-2009

Quote:
Lovely Dolphin:
Sorry hp regen is kinda scrub on chogath unless its part of a much greater item u really need.

Chogath regens so much more with his passive 40+hp on kill(even kill from spells). Just get ruby or sapphire 1st. Then boot, catalyst->Roa and more roa

HP regen isn't bad for Cho at all.

It allows you to prepare for level 6 feast gank without having to recall back and heal.

HP Regen isnt the only option; boots, ruby, or mana regen are other options and all can work well for Cho.

My goal is to get Warmogs early, by the 15 minute mark.

Sarmis

11-25-2009

I used to go pure tank chogath - started with Warmogs, and kept on building up health. The problem was that any decent opponents just ignored me in a group fight. I switched to the AP style, with Rune of Ages first, and then either Rylais or Lichbane, depending on what I was feeling. It's been far more successfull, and most games my big problem is getting any enemies to come anywhere near me. Anyone other then another tank that gets hit by my rupture is just entirely dead.

I was using Teleport and Flash, but I've switched to ghost and flash. With chogath, more then any other character, you really need to avoid dying. If it's a close game and you lose that feast stack, you won't get it back anytime soon - and you really need to save those feasts for the big fights, not waste them on minions to get your stack back. Having read this thread, I'm definetly going to start prioritizing Guardian Angel now.