Help playing Chogath

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

killd0zer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-24-2009

Im reletivly new to the game, but i have had a few games. My favriot champ is Chogath, simply by design. However i am not that good with him, could any one give some tips, like what items to get and which abilities to learn around when?

Giandris

11-24-2009

Get boots early, either the very first item you get or the second when you recall back. Speed is important once you are 6 with your ultimate you need to be point blank on a fleeing enemy.

I suggest warmogs for every tank.

hp regen
boots
boots of speed or mercury
giants Belt
Warmogs
catalyst
rod of ages
glacial shroud
frozen heart

killd0zer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-24-2009

ok ty, i got those items ofter, but i tend twords an AP rout, will teh normal AP items work fine for cho, or are there better tank/caster items?

xoralundra

11-24-2009

for AP cho gath, Rod of Ages and Rylais are a must. Both items offer health and AP, and rod gives mana as well. Tip with rylais: the slow takes effect on the casting of rupture, slowing enemies before the spikes come out.

Joru

11-24-2009

I have the most success with a mixed AP/tank build. Rod of Ages and Rylai's, as mentioned, are both great, because they give you both health and AP. Apart from those, I vary a lot from game to game. More HP is always a possibility, and either armor or magic resist can be great if the enemy team is stacking one or the other. Guardian Angel both gives you survivability and protects your Feast stacks, once you're at maximum size in the late-game. I don't typically get too much more AP than that and rely more on slowing enemies so my teammates can hit them and then using Feast's high base damage, but stacking extra AP could be scary if you can keep yourself alive. Don't stack tons of mana or mana regen; you don't need it thanks to your passive (though a little mana is okay).

Skill-wise, I alternate Vorpal Spikes and Rupture until Vorpal Spikes hit around 2 or 3, then start taking Scream instead. Vorpal Spikes is incredible for farming, and between that and the passive, you can lane forever. Saving points for your other nuke and relying on AP to increase Vorpal's damage past that point seems better than rushing Vorpal to max early, in my experience. Feast is always top priority, naturally.

General gameplay tips: Don't be afraid to use Feast on minions. If no nearby enemy champions are low on health, try not to let it be off cooldown too often. The HP increase is nice, and I'm pretty sure the size increase massively increases Feast's range (even though it doesn't show), making it more dangerous in team fights later on.

The other important thing is to learn how to place Ruptures. Well-placed Ruptures is what sets up your kills. Lead them if the enemy is running away. Try to place them so that most of the area is behind the target, and then rush them to chase them into the center. Once you get Rylai's, putting the target just barely inside the radius, with the bulk of it placed where they're likely to move, will often get them thanks to the slow. With practice, you can hit pretty consistently with it, though Boots of Swiftness on enemies can make things problematic.

Be Nice Eric

11-24-2009

I play him quite a bit and have had some success with him, here's what i do:

DO NOT GET BOOTS EARLY as someone else mentioned - you're a tank and will be farming early game so u won't need boots if you're staying in lane and last hitting.

Tank build:

1st buy: Mana crystal + 2 health pots

2nd buy: Build catalyst of protector, buy 350g boots

3rd buy: convert boots to mercury, speed, or mobility, and start Warmogs

4th buy: Aegis of Legion

5th buy: Convert catalyst to Banshee's

6th buy: Frozen Heart if they have a strong physical carry, Gaurdian Angel otherwise.

tartrus

11-24-2009

Just a question, if u hav 5 feast and die but hav guardian angel... will u come back with ya 5 feast still or does it reset and u hav to start all over again ?

Joru

11-24-2009

Guardian Angel preserves your feast stacks. That's why it's so good on Cho'gath, assuming you can keep them up until you get it.

tartrus

11-24-2009

ahh sweet... might hav to give cho another try. :d

thx for the reply mate.

condon

11-25-2009

Personally I have a lot of success with a really aggressive tanky Cho'Gath. I usually end up playing with at least one or two friends, mind you, so it's obviously better to balance out if you're flying solo.

The basic goal is to get huge, fast, and bring pants ****ting fear into the hearts of your opponents. If you can tower dive at 6 for a double kill, people will turn and burn when you show up in their lane, buying your allies valuable farming time, and making sure that even when you're back at base buying items they live in fear.

It's not because you're a ridiculous dps carry, but because you can walk up to them and soak up all the punishment they can deal while your team mates tear them a new *******.

I like to solo mid with a regrowth pendant to start, alternating between vorpal spikes and rupture until they are maxed out, with the obvious exception of feast. Some argue that scream is better for devastating early kills, but I'm going for fear here. Even if they dodge the rupture, you're still causing them to run around like an idiot while you push them right into their own tower, costing them valuable gold and basically ensuring that whoever you lane against (Usually the carry) is poor and useless by the time your team starts ganking.

You will regen enough hp and mana through creep kills to basically ignore their minor harassment, and keep rupture rolling. The key here is not to bother trying to last hit creep, focus instead of hitting as many as you can with your spikes. This is doubly advantageous because you end up scoring lots of situational creep kills, and you keep any melee or squemish opponents away from your own creep. This is also key when you're at their tower, which should be often, as vorpal spikes don't draw tower hate.

By the time you get feast they should be low on health, mana, and morale. An early feast kill can cripple their self esteem, and cause the whole team to see you as a threat. You may even draw players away from the side lanes early on to "shut you down"

This is good. You want this. As soon as they show up, play it tight. Let them waste time trying to catch you unawares, but keep racking up creep kills. If you can mange to take one of them out, they have just lost all semblance of cohesion, and you can pretty much run down lanes with impunity, as no one will want to take you 1v1 after that.

This is where some people may tell you to run around ganking. Don't bother, unless you spot some easy kills. Farm yourself up 6 feast stacks, even if its just on regular creep in your lane. The goal here is to use the hidden bonus of your ultimate: You get MFin big. Makes you a prime target, and makes the enemy team realize how long you've gone without dying.

After that it's pretty much a free waltz around the block, considering the only thing you really need to be afraid of 1v1 is their carry, which you've either shut down in the lane, or embarrassed when they stopped jungling to meet you in the middle. Don't be cocky, initiate team fights, and make sure you keep your feasts rolling, even the sound late game will cause whoever you laned with to go into shell shock and back off a few paces.

As for items: **** AP. I can't stress enough how much I value being a god damned giant over doing some extra feast damage. You are not the Ashe. You are not the Teemo, you are not the Gangplank. You are the mother****ing Cho'Gath, and you can not die.

Regrowth pendant first.
By the time you need to go back again, you should have enough for a warmogs and a boots of swiftness, if not start working on those. (You can go twenty minutes or so without buying items if you last hit well and you can smell a team**** coming.) Third, a guardian angel. Nothing says futility like trying to kill a tanky Cho'Gath twice.
After that, size up your opponents. Lots of casters, or and AP carry? Go force of nature and a banshee veil. The actual spell shield may not do much, but the giant blue bubbled cho'gath running towards a caster will make him piddle. All melee or a physical carry? Another warmogs and some sunfire cloaks. Especially if they have a shaco or a twitch to carry them, those douchbags can burn while they try to sneak up for a gank. Mixed team, or you're unsure? Get a sunfire and then rylias. You get a good chunk of health, and the slow effect on scream and rupture, and even feast if you need it (remember, its a nuke, you dont NEED to use it to last hit if you have 6 feast stacks)

Really, after the angel you can take what you want, go with your gut. You shouldn't need mana regen, and offensive items are kind of a waste, but otherwise experiment a little. I've never had a game matter too much past my fifth item.

Last but not least, summoner spells. I can not stress enough how much I love Flash on him. Nothing sends the enemy spiraling into depression like a blink/feast when they think they've gotten away, and its great for juking away from team ganks. You can generally survive long enough to get to a forest wall and get the **** out of dodge.

Other than that, teleport is always, always solid, otherwise I'd take exhaust for the slow, or rally for pushing. No way you need heal or clarity, if you'd need them, you're pretty ****ed anyway.

If you think anything is retarded, or you want to ask more, message me, as I'll probably never look at this thread again. Happy hunting, and don't **** up Cho'Gath. I ****ing love Cho'Gath.