What I suggest to fix ELO hell.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dryus

12-02-2012

The way ELO is calculated is really stupid.
You gain some on wins, and you lose a lot on losses. Even if you're carrying the game and you still lose, or you lose because of an AFK, or you lose because someone was trolling. You still lose the same amount of ELO if you just straight up lost. Or it can go the other way too, you win because you had someone really good on your team and you had to be carried hardcore (I've been there) but you still get the same amount of ELO as the person who had to work harder for the win. Rather then ELO being based on whether or not you win or lose, it should be calculated on your Kills/Deaths/Assists and then a flat amount of ELO added for wins, and a flat amount calculated for losses. Unless you had an AFK. Then you don't get penalized for someone else's problems.

It would go like this, Divide the kills by the deaths, then multiply that by the assists.

For example, a 10/5/2 game would equal to 4. Then multiply the last number by 4. So a game like that would net you 20 base ELO. Then a 10 point addition if you won the game. So if you won a game like that then it would grant you a 30 ELO point boost. THis is only if you have more Kills then assists.

A loss would be calculated the same way except it would be -5 at the end. Except if you had an AFK team member.

This way it would be fair if you carried your team, you would get more ELO. Or if you had to be carried you would get less ELO, or none at all. Same with losses.

This way it would calculate ELO based on the player, and not just how the team does.

But if the K/D ratio is more then 1/5 then it would be calculated differently. So that you would lose ELO. Something like the same way it was calculated up top, but at the end it would be -35.

Now for support who get all assists and no kills it would be calculated differently. For every 5 assists it equals one kill. And then you would divide the K/D by half of the number of assists. If it is a win then it would be multiplied by 2, then if it is a loss then it would be multiplied by 1.5.

For example, a 0/5/40 game would turn into 8/5 x 20. THis would grant you 42 ELO if it were a win.

Here are some examples.

3/4/6 Win = 28 Elo

4/24/10 Win = -31 ELO

0/6/30 Loss = 15 ELO

0/5/35 WIn = 24 ELO

1/10/3 Win = -35 ELO

Now obviously this can't cover everything, I am only one person. But I hope this could serve as a base for calculating ELO. THis way good players on bad teams get rewarded and bad players on good get penalized. There will have to be some balancing issues to work out. There will be kinks with the way I've proposed, but if Riot notices this and decides to use it they could figure it out to make it more balanced.

Please upvote so Riot can see this!

slimjimo10

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-02-2012

No. People would go all out to steal each other's kills. People wouldn't go all out in teamfights because they are afraid of dieing and losing Elo. Just get better yourself and your Elo will rise.

1SMALLKITTEN

12-02-2012

yea this is dumb solo que is not for u just face the facts u join a game wit random ppl then one person leaves and makes ur elo go down thats y u need a team and belive it or not some ppl just play ranked and troll so there elo will go down and urs will go down ur sistem is flawed and will not work becuse sometimes ppl die alot in teamfights and sometimes ppl dont get any kills they get assist but then still die alot like a soraka game i played i went 0-11-20 would i get a negetive elo just cuse of my 11 deaths sometimes a suport has to die to save there carry if there any good sometimes a tank will go in to help the team get out so ur plan is fail and will not just hurt bad ppl but will hurt realy good ppl too

Lokiorin

12-02-2012

I think you misunderstand how the elo system works.

You do not gain a little for winning or a lot for losing. The amount you gain or lose is entirely based on how confident the system is in your position. If you are losing a lot and gaining little than the system feels confident that you are overrated and you belong lower. The way to counter this is to *gasp* keep winning games. Even the pros have a win-rate of around 50% (the goal of the elo system) but because of how many wins that typically string together they end up at diamond.

If you win more than you lose, your rate of climbing will increase until you start leveling out again and vice-versa.

Google the elo system for more.

Snipawolfe

12-02-2012

The system is fine. If you consistently play well, your team will win more often and you'll have a net gain of ELO.

KTcrazy

12-02-2012

What about a support? Yes they get some assists but they usually die more often, and get only one to two kills.

ByePas

12-02-2012

I disagree with the idea as this would break elo. Suppose there's this game where one player went 14/0/6, now this would be considered a great score, but based on your calculations it would result in a 84/0 base elo, which coincidentally would be labeled as infinity, which would make elo worthless because of one game.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-02-2012

Hey, this idea again.

No.