[Guide] Malphite the rock solid tank

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Malleus Deum

11-24-2009

Updated after i reviewed input.
So i have been looking at all the malphite builds and have seen mostly a defensive/damage tank but nothing truely focusing on defensive strats so i thought id share my build. First off lets go to the important stuff and skip all the data on his skills that we all know.
ITEMS:
first item (either ruby or cloth armor)
aegis of the legion
tabi boots/mercury treads(if high caster team)
these can come in any order but i usually go
Chalice of Harmony\sunfire cape
Guardian Angel
Banshee's Veil
this build makes you virtually unstoppable
my masteries i went 0/27/3
and for my runes i went blue/quentecence +health
yellow +magic resist
red+armor
summoner spells i usually go smite or flash/tele( tele helps me get into fights that im not at reverse ganking)

skills order is
Seismic Shard
Ground Slam
Brutal Strikes
Ground Slam
Ground Slam
Unstoppable Force
Seismic Shard
Ground Slam
Ground Slam
Seismic Shard
Seismic Shard
Unstoppable Force
Seismic Shard
Brutal Strikes (finish it off)

(lvls 1-5) lane with another stun or high damage char and gank a low health champion that hits your lane or if a teamate carries smite down dragon first then gank an enemy.

(lvls6-12)once you hit 6 if you have an ashe form a gank squad with her and down enemy champions everytime your 6 is up. be co-ordinated with the people in the lanes so they know who you are hitting also. (down dragon and golem buff every time its up)

(12-18) everyone group up and mob on lanes in 5v5 teamfights and every other teambattle you better be the first to charge in. with gaurdian angel who cares if they drop your health to 0 you should be taking 2 to 3 with you (you will probally have the other team surrender by this time). serious reminder if there is a fight and you arent in it your team is going to be hurting so get yourself there asap.down towers and push to the enemy base. baron buff then its over.

good team comps with malphite ( there really isnt a really bad one but this is what i have been sucessful with) high dps char like ashe, yii or gangplank. another stunner for god sakes take amumu with malphite and its gg. a tankier dps char we usaully take jax. and an aoe char or support or both (soraka, annie)
my normal team build is me as malphite, jax, ashe, amumu, and gankplank,yii,tristana,annie

Malleus Deum

11-24-2009

I welcome any helpful advice from higher elo players

RaarImABear

11-24-2009

Your item build seems a little too specific, one of the biggest strengths that Malphite has IMO is that he can be built as any kind of tank, and you're really just focusing on armor and grabbing a Banshee's.

I use a different build depending on the enemy team comp. My item build also changes a little depending on when I'm returning to town. Another of Malphite's biggest strengths is that you can lane forever, thanks to your passive. No matter what build I'm going for, I start with a Regrowth Pendant. Unless I'm getting massively harrassed (which only happens with an inattentive lane partner, really) I can lane for as long as I want without returning to town to heal/shop/mana up, and still have enough mana to get some easy ganks. My general rule of thumb is that no matter how much gold I have, I don't return to town until the enemy team forces me there. When I'm about to die and they're pushing hard, I'll recall, shop, and tele back, but I never recall and tele specifically to shop.

Here are my three general template builds, though these can be switched up for different team comps (i.e. facing a full physical damage team that has a lot of CC, you'll want treads over tabi). Because there's so much variation in when you buy items on Malphite, thanks to his nearly infinite laning, these are 'finished' builds, I.E. what you should build for. I'm not going in to when to build each specific item because that really depends on the game itself

Against a full physical damage team:
Start with Regrowth Pendant

Final:
Warden Mail
Warmog's
Ninja Tabi (switch to Merc Treads if they have a lot of CC)
Chalice
Frozen Heart
Variable - Banshee's or Aegis (personal preference and varies based on who you're up against)

This provides you with a lot of armor, a lot of health, a lot of health regen, enough mana regen that you'll never run out, and some cooldown reduction.

The reason I don't go with a Guardian Angel is that Malphite really can't die unless you're all alone in the middle of nowhere with 5 enemy champs beating on you - if that's the case, Guardian Angel won't do anything for you.

Against an entirely magic damage team:
Start with Regrowth Pendant

Final:
Warmog's
Merc Treads
Chalice
Aegis
Force of Nature
Variable - Banshee's, Soul Shroud, or Frozen Heart are all good choices here

This provides you with a large amount of health and health regen, a lot of magic resist, Chalice's awesome mana regen, Aegis's armor/magic resist aura, and some cooldown reduction if you take Frozen Heart or Soul Shroud

Against a mixed physical/magic damage team:
Start with Regrowth Pendant (starting to see a pattern here?)

Final:
Warmog's
Ninja Tabi OR Merc Treads (Depends on the team you're up against - build whichever boots defend against whoever the biggest threat(s) are on their team, or build Merc Treads if they have a lot of CC
Chalice
Aegis
Frozen Heart
Soul Shroud

This provides you with healthy amounts of both armor and magic resist, Aegis's armor/magic resist aura, lots of cooldown reduction, and health/health regen

I'm a very big fan of Health and Health Regen on Malphite, as you might have noticed by having Warmogs in every build. His passive scales extremely well with Health and it provides a huge benefit against ANY type of damage, not just physical and not just magical. A well farmed Malphite (he's very easy to farm on) with a Warmog's is going to have around 3.5-4k health end-game with 100+ health per 5 seconds. This gives you a 350-400 damage shield that recharges after 10 seconds of not taking damage, and during those 10 seconds where you back off a little, you'll regen over 200 health.

Cooldown Reduction is a really, really great stat on Malphite, because if you're doing it right and have proper communication with your team, your ult is a guaranteed gank every time it's up. Frozen Heart and Soul Shroud are great cooldown reduction items that also provide hefty defensive stats.

As far as laning partners, anyone who can burst DPS is a good laning partner for Malphite. Annie is one of my favorites if you have proper communication. Malphite's ult followed by a Ground Slam, then Annie's Ult with a stun, and her burst damage, then chasing your target down with a Seismic Shard is a 100% guaranteed gank at that level of the game. I sincerely doubt ANY champ could stand up to that damage at that level unless they had Flash and Heal

And finally, for summoner spells, I'd really suggest Flash over Heal - Heal's pretty weak end-game (especially on Malphite), and with a regrowth pendant you really don't ever need heal early-game. The only use of Heal I can think of on Malphite is if your lane partner is dead and they decide to go for a 3v1 tower dive gank on you, but you should be able to predict that, and - again - a team that communicates severely limits the chance of that happening, since you'll know that an enemy champ or two are missing and can back up accordingly.

Malleus Deum

11-24-2009

the thing is malphite is extremely strong as an aoe tank with my build since his ground slam does damage based on his armor. and i get aegis for a team bonus. also i have never been phased by a caster with this build. also yeah you can switch the boots out with the magic resist boots. regrowth pendant has never seemed to be needed really i use heal to stay in the lane early not leaving until i am lvl 6. the thing is my team also gets specific items my build may only really work with the team i run. and cc has never been a serious problem for me with banshies i usually purposfully eat ashes arrows.

MammothWaffle

Adjudicator

11-24-2009

I start with mana gem due to mana problems in earl game ganks.

I then upgrade it to catalyst which becomes banshees later, if needed (Which ususally it isn't)

Ninja tabi then Aegis followed by 2 sunfire capes or 1 frozen heart then finish off with sunfire capes.

This adds a lot of health/armor and enough magic resistance to still be semi-effective vs casters.

Malleus Deum

11-24-2009

I know everyone loves the sunfire capes but i just dont see the helpfulness team wise where aegis is by all means godly in my opinion. also angelic gaurdian keeps me going forever. yeah the sunfire give aoe damage. but they arent cheap. I go chalice for resist and mana i guess its reall personal preference and what else is comming to the table my team always has a starks frevor. sunfire capes again are amazing and i use them when i solo que i guess my build like i have said a couple times fits my teams makeup. also the + health from mallet and slow could be sacrificed for a sunfire cape i guess. and i could probally drop the chalice for another ill give it a shot even though i like being able to tank a tower without it even dropping my shield

Trend

11-24-2009

few things i saw:
you don't need an early point in brutal strikes, just getting it starting at 13 is fine

you are going ground slam over shard, which is good, but you should definitely go slam level 1, it helps more in a lvl 1 team fight, does more damage, 10% slow is largely useless, basically all around better when it comes down to it

first item is pretty much always going to be doran's shield: it's a perfect item for malphite with the only drawback being that it's not big for one slot, but your job is not to fill your slots with expensive items
boots should almost always be merc treads, they are simply overpowered, if for some reason you are fighting mostly physical with no disable then tabi would be better, but you are going to win anyways, so who cares?

I used to go hearts, but really that's just for low level games with bad teammates that you expect will be long and you end up farming to carry, which isn't your job and that makes for a bad game

This is exactly the same thing as warmog's, you don't stop and farm it for max hp so you shouldn't bother with it

rushing either catalyst or aegis should be your most important item, depending on how the game is playing out, don't make a veil until the game is late because you miss out on the leveling heal

Sunfires: this pretty much just fills your remaining inventory as you get levels. Pure perfect item form malphite, you won't notice frozen hammer slow nearly as much as all the extra assist gold you'll get (since assists are flakey, time oriented, but largely guaranteed by a sunfire) and the radiance dps you put out. It's half armor, so raises your nuke damage anyways, a possible atma's will also make you a solid damage dealer in bad games that last 40+ mins.

On your playstyle section, not very informative, you should lane with someone else and not solo, so you can roam easily at 6, saying you want a nuker/stunner is kind of a no brainer, everyone wants a nuker/stunner to lane with early. That being said, you should be looking to babysit too much as malphite, you won't have the mana to protect someone from being harassed other than a few bursts for kills.

6+ eveybody should be looking to gank and map control, not really malphite specific (other than you definitely shouldn't be looking to FARM 6+)

Malleus Deum

11-24-2009

Ill fool around with the build in practice games but my build has a 9 game win streak going and i have died 4 times in all 9 games.

Malleus Deum

11-24-2009

hmm trend that makes sense i really wasnt specific because my team wouldnt be so happy if i gave more info. and warmogs although nice costs a ****ton. and i agree aiegis comes very early and catalyst next lvl heals are the **** and i get brutal strikes to farm and for the extra small burst to towers. again thanks for the input ill test it out more and go for it. my typical item order is heart of gold only if i can get it before lvl 3 and yes thats possible if not catalyst. tabi boots i spec into the dodge speed boost not sure why but ill look into more builds masteries wise. then i get catalyst (if not taken first) and chalice. next i build gaurdian angel. then i finish off sunfire cape now since i see that mallet really isnt needed. i never get warmogs no resitances and yeah regen is nice but i really havent seen a reason to get it. plus i see alot of dodges with my build against physical dpsers. and i tipically wreck groups when i 6 and ground slam but ill mix some of your guys ideas in and try it out. angelic is just a safe bet for me when team fights are really close.

Malleus Deum

11-24-2009

oh i dont need a nuker i usuall lane with jax and before 6 he really isnt a nuker in the truesest sense. i mean a high dps. i am serious that in every game i have had a kill in the first wave of creeps sometimes before. and i grab golem buff early with the help of a buddy and smite.