When to go into ranked?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Myrthrei

12-02-2012

Hi i just recently turned level 30 and i want to know when i can consider myself to br able to play ranked.
I am primarily a mid player,been maining Katarina since june,but i can also go Eve,Akali,or diana.
I feel that i am ok top,but nowhere near my level mid.I can go riven,darius,zed,or kennen/vlad top
I am a somewhat decent adc,but i cannot support for poop.i have vayne,varus,and ez for adc.
I also have two rune pages almost filled up,one defensive one for top or bot,giving me armor,etc to live,and one for mid,standardish AP
I currently have around 120 wins,and ive been playing since june,but i only started pvp around level 15
Replies are encouraged
Ty

NinjaChopsticks

12-02-2012

Standard idea is one should be at least proficient (winning more games than losing) at 2-3 champs for every role. I've been playing for nearly a year now, I am good or at least proficient at 3 or more champs in Support, ADC, and Mid. Im proficient with Olaf top and currently learning Darius/Singed and soon Vlad for top. I can't jungle for **** yet.

With all that, the only time I've ever played ranked was when I had a 20 or so game winning streak in Normals.

fromancer

12-02-2012

i would recommend waiting, you should be able to play all lanes and know your counters and tactics.
i would also recommend learning how to support properly even though its not that pivotal of a role
the skills you gain will only improve your other positions.

Xcelerator

12-02-2012

I honestly would recommend at least around 300 wins/loses in normal. Playing draft mode would be effectively better, because most people there are practicing for a higher level of play. I would also recommend learning/mastering more champions in your main role. This way you have more experience in counter picking and different team comps. You also learn a lot about your opponent when you can also play that champion well.

I highly suggest that you have at least 3-4 full rune pages. It gives you much more room to choose which rune page goes to which role etc. You could also maybe have 1-2 specialized rune pages for a certain champion or two.

IdleAltruism

12-02-2012

You can go into ranked as soon as you have enough champs and are level 30. What ELO you want to achieve is really the better question. If I had to make a guess, if you went in right now, sight unseen, I'd say you're shooting for 1k ELO or lower (probably lower).

So the real question is, what is your goal for playing ranked?

Kaoelith

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-03-2012

i suggest playing draft normals once you have like 2-3 champs per role and possible 3-4 for jungle top and mid since those are the most often banned roles

after you have those down and all the rune pages for each role(should really only need like 5 or so depending on champs) then you can keep playing draft mode until you understand basic counters to champs and learn the different styles of team comps and the champs that go with them, ie. aoe, burst, cc, ect.

bearloverabbit

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-03-2012

Just go straight into ranked
I find ranked game at around 1250 (when u first start ranked) is not much different from normal
Why? Cuz there r tons of noobs who don't even worry like u and just go ahead ranked
So u don't do any harm by adding one more new player to the 1200s elo
Just start ranked fast and learn quick rather than wasting ur time playing normals/draft normals

SFG mAEtb0y

12-03-2012

-Be able to play all 5 roles reasonably well (1-2 champs in each position and a grasp on the basic mechanics for each role).
-Have a main role that you are very strong at, with 3-5 champs that you are intimately familiar with.
-Have enough rune pages to support all of your main champs.
-Have a calm, positive attitude in every game, even under pressure and even if your teammates are feeding.

Etherimp

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdleAltruism View Post
You can go into ranked as soon as you have enough champs and are level 30. What ELO you want to achieve is really the better question. If I had to make a guess, if you went in right now, sight unseen, I'd say you're shooting for 1k ELO or lower (probably lower).

So the real question is, what is your goal for playing ranked?

This..

You CAN play ranked any time you're level 30... But you probably won't achieve a very high rating right now.

Brownbear

12-03-2012

I would suggest deciding what champion you play the best as (for me in my first ranked it was Akali back in S1) and go into a rank and play that champion and see how you do. If you get outplayed and lose hard, go back to draft/normals and practice. If you do well, keep testing it. Warning though, if you win 5 of your placement matches due to other team trolling you most likely will be put up to an ELO that you aren't prepared for. So just do it warily.

Most days when I go into ranked I play a draft before it just so I know I am ready. I would suggest the same for you!

Good luck, summoners.