Harin, the Geomancer

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KayGirl89

12-16-2012

I like champions that have abilities which scale on health, helps to keep their damage up while building more survivability. I also like combo abilities since it encourages skillful play. I don't know if I'd be good at combos since I've never used a combo champion but he sounds fun.

Tectonic Rift is an ability on Thor in Smite, my favorite God in that game so I also like that, its a great name for an earth rending ability. There needs to be more champions in LoL that have earth based abilities. Jarvan's ult is the only one I can think of right now that actually alters the ground. I like this guy and we need more supports too.

I'd really appreciate if you could review at least one of my two champion concepts.
Gladius - The King's Revenge
Occulus - Eye of the Void

The5lacker

12-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anachronity View Post
On his ultimate: Slow is not the same as knockup, knockup is much stronger, Harin also has to channel for 1 less second, which can make a huge difference.

More important is the fact that Harin is a much larger influence on team fights than Nunu without their respective ultimates. Harin is also naturally more tanky than Nunu and has other hard CC than his ultimate, which Nunu lacks.

Like I said at the end of my post, none of his abilities are overpowered by themselves. If Nunu had his ultimate transplanted with Harin's, he'd be approximately the same as he is now. Harin has too much damage, tankiness, CC, and versatility for one champion.
While that's a valid concern, I'd say damage is stronger than CC of any variety. Knockup lasts for, at max, a second. It's basically a stun that Tenacity can't reduce (Due to it being gravity.). Also keep in mind that Nunu can, again, release it early for less, but still potent damage. Harin has to go through the full channel to deal his damage, and is very vulnerable to interrupts. The only other champions who have such a long channel to deal damage are Caitlyn (Who then snipes someone for pretty hefty damage at crazy range), Pantheon (Who teleports to anywhere), Karthus (Who explodes everyone regardless of where they are), and TF (Again, teleports anywhere.) Every other channel can be canceled mid-cast for reduced effect. While damage and knockup are indeed potent, Harin is incredibly vulnerable while casting and even at max rank with max cooldown reduction, it's another minute before he gets a second shot.

Yes, his kit is geared more towards disruption and the like. That's his shtick. He's all about taking a lot of hits and either keeping the enemy away from his team, or right in the middle of it. Nunu is more of a jungling dude, given he has SMITE on his freaking Q and the highest base health in the game. While Harin is most certainly going to be building tanky, Nunu doesn't even have to to be scary.

One thing I will admit to screwing up on is that technically his abilities should scale on bonus HP rather than max. I claim full responsibility for that derp-up. However, I feel that overall, his very long cooldowns and awkward builds balance out his relatively potent damage and disruption output. He's got a lot of potent spells, but he can't cast them nearly as frequently enough as to carry a team. He's much more of a mage/fighter than a mage/carry.

Anachronity

12-18-2012

Quote:
I'd say damage is stronger than CC of any variety.
This is not true unless the champion in question is an ADC or maybe a solo mid. This is especially not true for a support.

Most of the concerns I have voiced are relatively small aspects. Even if the champion were released as-written he wouldn't interrupt the balance of the game as a whole.

Overall good champion design, I especially like his passive as I mentioned earlier.

The5lacker

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anachronity View Post
This is not true unless the champion in question is an ADC or maybe a solo mid. This is especially not true for a support.

Most of the concerns I have voiced are relatively small aspects. Even if the champion were released as-written he wouldn't interrupt the balance of the game as a whole.

Overall good champion design, I especially like his passive as I mentioned earlier.
Fair enough. I still say a 1 second knockup after a cast is less potent than a 50% slow before, but that's just me.

xPillow

12-18-2012

I really like this champion, mainly because I had a similar champion idea. I really like it. Nice art and Good job.

The5lacker

12-21-2012

Bumpin'

Adynaton

12-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The5lacker View Post
I figured Tremorsense was a bit powerful, but lets face it, not many champs remain stealthed for terribly long, and seeing as the only other things that remain stealthed are Wards, I wouldn't be overly concerned about it.

The thing is, I want him to be a support to rally around, so I really want Gift of Granite to benefit teammates as well. Late game, a shield of 150 strength on every spell may seem like a lot, but he has to be firing it through his buddies, so it'll likely only effect the tanks who, lets be honest, don't think much of a 150 strength shield.

I could see changing Tectonic Rift to a slow. Say, 40% for 3 seconds?

Yes, Wall of Stone is similar to Anivia's Crystalize. In fact, that's the only thing it's similar to. No one else has an ability that makes a wall like that. The closest we've got is Trundle's pillar, and that's really there for the slow. In addition, Anivia's width scales with level, while Harin's width is set and instead duration scales with level, and it interacts with his other abilities. So I'm gonna go ahead and say having someone else with a wall ability with their own twist is probably fine.

I was thinking about adding in that Geomantic Burst could be triggered by Tectonic Rift or manually, as well. Comboing the two would be a fairly hefty AoE ability, but would have a rather hefty mana investment as well as cooldown.

Yes, Seismic Burst is rather potent, but lets looks at Nunu's Ult. 625 / 875 / 1125 (+ 250% AP) magic damage, 50% slow, 25% attack speed slow, roughly the same mana costs and cooldown, and can be cracked early if need be. When compared to Harin's, Nunu's is roughly equal, with Harin trading charge time for an inability to crack early, and slows for knockup.
BUT, giving an ability as powerful as nunu's to a champion with strong abilities like he has makes him to powerful you couldnt give nunu's ult to rengar, that would be unbalanced.

The5lacker

12-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adynaton View Post
BUT, giving an ability as powerful as nunu's to a champion with strong abilities like he has makes him to powerful you couldnt give nunu's ult to rengar, that would be unbalanced.
One, that's a pretty bad comparison. Nunu's ult on Rengar wouldn't be overly scary, as nothing else of Rengar's scales on AP and he isn't nearly as tanky or already filled with slows to keep them in the area of effect.

Two, yes, abilities cannot be combined willy-nilly. That's just a bad idea. That's why I designed Harin the way I did: He's designed to get better use out of such an ult, but lacks in some areas Nunu excels in, namely his insane jungling abilities and potent attack speed buff. Harin is all about controlling the flow and position of a fight, using a variety of crowd control abilities and object placements.

The5lacker

05-28-2013

Bumpin'