Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Champion Concept] Tempest Swain, the Ethereal Sorceress

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wulffe

12-05-2012

Here's a loving bump for a fictionalized woman that would give a hate filled, death trap bump in return.

Wulffe

12-07-2012

Do not tell me what to do, Summoner!

Wulffe

12-13-2012

Fitted Tempest with my new champion format.

SirNickTheBrave

01-15-2013

<3 this!!!! Very cool, well thought-out

Wulffe

02-01-2013

Bump for Tempest!

Wulffe

03-06-2013

I have something special coming for Swain in the next month or so. In the mean time, I'll just give her a bump.

Maximillian Grey

03-06-2013

I posted some stuff about your items Wulffe

Wulffe

03-06-2013

Thanks Max. Gray. I saw them and want to thank you again for your input. I've responded over there but haven't touched up all of the items just yet.

Flintlock

03-13-2013

Okay, continuing on from IRC. Going to go straight into the abilities this time. Got a lot of ground to cover here.

Tempest's got serious problems in terms of optimising her play style (in more ways than one) and burden of knowledge for both her player and opponent. She could really use a little simplification so that the player doesn't have an aneurysm attempting to figure out how to get the most out of her. There's also a few smaller nitpicks I have about her abilities, but we'll get to those in a moment.

Individual Abilities

Passive - Weapon Conjurer
The intention here is nice; it encourages her to save her Daestra Blades and wait till the last moment to use them. There in lies the problem, however. In order to get maximum use of the Daestra Blades themselves, due to the cooldown between casts, Tempest needs to throw her blades out well in advance to maximise the damage her W -> return combo does. One Daestra blade does a maximum of 110 (+70% AP). Retaining 1 Daestra blade adds 3% AP to your auto attack and grants a minor attack speed boost.

Oh, and if you collect the Daestra Blade yourself, it grants a bonus 5% AD, which is semi-likely to be worth more than the 3% AP to damage (early on at least). Right now, Weapon Conjurer is trying to make an auto-attacker out of someone who's most probably far too busy with her spells to be auto-attacking.

Q - Daestra Blades
Oh boy. This one's a bit of a doozy.

Okay, so the main problem is that this skill is trying to do too many things at once. Once you throw the blade, it wants to be a buff, debuff, provide additional burst or act as part of a finisher. It wants the enemy to pick up the blade because it slows them and makes your ultimate do more damage but it also doesn't want the enemy to pick up the blade because you want to return it so that you can do more damage and reduce the cooldown so you can throw more blades faster.

So what do you use this skill for?

The obvious answer is 'depends on the situation'. But what do you do based on the situation?

Let me give you a hypothetical situation

Your about to start a 3v3 team fight. Your enemies are the mage, the ADC and the tank.

You're pretty fed. You've got 500 AP or so (hypothetically).

So. How do you work this for maximum effect?

Well, instinctively, you want to throw all your blades out, hitting everyone on the way out, hit your W so that you hit everyone with the 5 blades again then return them for another strike against all of them (for now, let's ignore the incredible amount of positioning this would need). If you've ever played Talon, that's the kind of thing you'd do with him (ultimate, run past enemies, let blades go through them)..

But Tempest ain't Talon.

If you can force each of the enemies to pick up one of your swords, they'll take an additional 15% of their maximum health in damage when they're hit by your ultimate. So do you want to hit each of them twice, get each of the enemies to pick up one of the blades, return the other two and then ultimate? Not necessarily. The % health damage doesn't have an AP ratio. For it to be worth forcing the opponent to pick up the blade, 15% of his maximum health needs to be less than 60 (+40% AP). So if you have 500 AP, that means they need to have more than 1733 health. And it just so happens that the mage and ADC have been building glass cannon and have less than that, but the tank has more, so you want to have the tank pick up the blade, and recall the four other blades through the enemy group for more base damage. Or do you go with what you originally thought to do and just throw all the blades for the recall so that you maximise damage to the squishies? What about getting the damage from Tether? If you place it directly on the opponent, it'll get the base damage, but that'll make him pick up the blades and reduce the damage of the rest of your combo, so do you risk putting it near a specific target and returning early or do you place it further away and forget about the damage from it?

And if you didn't have so much AP, you'd have to weigh up giving the blades to your allies. Or putting your allies at risk so they can get the bonuses from her W.

And now factor the risks you need to take to do this as a no mobility mage with short-mid range spells which are all skill shots.

Blarg.

This isn't just a problem for the player. The enemy needs complete knowledge of how she works in order to maximise their attempts at counterplay. Do you grab the blade and potentially take the % health damage from her ultimate? Or do you avoid it and potentially take more damage from the blades moving around? How well do you think you can dodge her skill shots?

Hell, considering how Olaf's axes work, the enemy needs to know he can pick the blades up first before he can start playing around them.

If I may make a suggestion, follow the old adage of K.I.S.S. The bonus she grants to allies is only worth your time if you're really under farmed. The slow she applies to enemies isn't especially overpowered and, considering the enemy needs to be building pretty glass cannon-y for the 15% max health damage to be worth taking to pick up the blades, an opponent will likely try to avoid the blades once they do know what the blades do.

So... Why have the pick up mechanic?

Make the blades apply the slow to nearby enemies when they're not moving. If you really want, keep the bonus % HP damage if the enemy is hit by the ultimate whilst slowed by their effect. Alternatively, if you want to keep the pick up mechanic, remove the slow effect so that enemies are 'rewarded' for picking up the blades by taking less damage, rather than giving them a Morton's Fork of 'risk getting hit by multiple skill shots' versus 'slow yourself and risk losing 15% of your health'.

The base idea's kinda nice (it's a little reminiscent of Zed's shadows or Orianna's ball); its a nice way of giving a burst combo that actually has counterplay, but there's too many things hanging onto it for it to really work as intended right now.

W - Mierdis Tether
I dealt with my biggest issue with this skill when talking about Daestra Blades. Mainly the fact that, if you want to hit the enemy with the damage over time portion, you're most probably going to need to sacrifice your damage from the blades (since they'll be collected by the person you hit). Also, you haven't specified the duration it lasts whilst on the ground (unless its for the same duration it reveals the surrounds) or for how long it lasts on an enemy. Also, the mana cost on this once leveled up is pretty prohibitive, but since it seems to be encouraged to be her 'one point wonder', it isn't too bad.

E - Alter Dominion
Like I mentioned in the IRC, making this a Fear effect is likely to troll you pretty hard; using it to prep for your ultimate, then watching Lady Luck laugh at you as the enemy wanders haplessly out of your range has to be a rather painful feeling. I still suggest making it a terrify effect, like Hecarim's ultimate. It allows you to force your opponent over your Daestra Blades (assuming you keep the slow) or Mierdis Tether and your ultimate has a long range (thin AOE, but long range) so its unlikely it'll cause the enemy to walk out of range by itself. Just remember to rebalance the duration, since terrify is (arguably, at least) stronger than fear. Also, the Mana cost could use a look at; it's more than a little high right now.

R - Kingslayer
The format could use tightening up (if you want to see how riot does this kind of thing, look at Nunu's ultimate and Varus's Q). Past that, you could debatably make this less 'hit or miss'. It's got an incredible best case scenario (630 base damage including the true damage + a 3 second stun), but actually hitting with this past the first 2 seconds will generally need a second CC user. There's also the fact that the stun implies you want to initiate with it, but the long wind up, true damage bonus and large burst makes it seem you'd want to follow up an initiate with it. Also, its a really high mana cost at level 6. Like, really, really high.

Overall

I talked about most of my problems with her before I started and during my shpeel on Daestra Blades. There's also a few problems with itemisation (in that she seems to advocate itemising her as an AP/AS attacker, but she seems to need mana and cooldown rather badly as well, plus she needs survivability because she's a short range mage). In general, her play style whilst not completely unique, is something of a newer, rather fun take on the same concept as Orianna/Zed. There's nothing wrong with the base concept, but some of the more superfluous design elements need a little pruning and the numbers need toning up. Once that's fixed up, I could easily see Tempest as a champion in the League.

Wulffe

03-15-2013

Another big thank you for Flintlock here!

Here's what I did for her.

I completely scrapped the old Daestra Blade to make it as it is now. The additional damage and unnecessary buffs were removed and the debuff was changed to affect those close to the blade. Also removed the extra burn damage done to targets affected by Daestra Blades.

Moved the old team buff to her Tether but removed the stacking effect. Daestra Blades will still fly to them but only do pass-through damage.

Only changed her fear to a Terrify for her Alter Dominion and lowered the cost and how long it lasts.

Didn't really touch the ultimate yet.

Overall, lots of buffs, debuffs and change ups all around.

Once more, thank you Flint!