Do you think the future is inevitable?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bilbosky

12-01-2012

As I've just said, the definition of "inevitable" is "certain to happen."

"The future will happen." and "The future is inevitable." are therefore indistinct, as they mean exactly the same thing.

The fact that you danced around with intermediate steps equating those two terms through different means doesn't change the fact that your initial premise and final conclusion are indistinct and therefore your argument is circular.

poe tay toes

12-01-2012

you're giving "the future" a value equal to what will happen, which is basically saying the future is the present at a different time. what i'm arguing is that the future is a range of values that decreases towards one(what happens) as time approaches zero (present)

Kodoku

12-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbosky View Post
As I've just said, the definition of "inevitable" is "certain to happen."

"The future will happen." and "The future is inevitable." are therefore indistinct, as they mean exactly the same thing.

The fact that you danced around with intermediate steps equating those two terms through different means doesn't change the fact that your initial premise and final conclusion are indistinct and therefore your argument is circular.
They don't mean the same thing, because it's possible to believe one without believing the other. "The future will happen" is just a statement of the definition of future. "The future is inevitable" is a consequence of what exactly it means for something to happen and what it means for something to be inevitable. The fact that you can deduce "the future will happen" from "the future is inevitable" and vice versa does not make the argument fallacious. If it did, then all mathematical arguments would be fallacious.

Quote:
you're giving "the future" a value equal to what will happen, which is basically saying the future is the present at a different time
er... and you're going to disagree with that? That the future is not the present at any time?

Quote:
what i'm arguing is that the future is a range of values that decreases towards one(what happens) as time approaches zero (present)
But how are the unrealized 'values' relevant to the future as it actually happens?

Fujiou

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-01-2012

Kodoku, you're having an entire pseudo-philosophical discourse rooted entirely in semantics. Isn't that just a bit off?

Kodoku

12-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujiou View Post
Kodoku, you're having an entire pseudo-philosophical discourse rooted entirely in semantics. Isn't that just a bit off?
Not really, semantics underlies most problems in philosophy. A lot of problems just disappear once you get the meanings right.

Fujiou

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-01-2012

Then philosophy is a load of rubbish.

No good discussion ever came from misconstruing one's intended meaning to fit the limitations of his or her language.

Kodoku

12-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujiou View Post
Then philosophy is a load of rubbish.

No good discussion ever came from misconstruing one's intended meaning to fit the limitations of his or her language.
Misconstruing?

the flail

12-01-2012

I believe in chance, nothing more.

poe tay toes

12-01-2012

Quote:
But how are the unrealized 'values' relevant to the future as it actually happens?
they aren't because the future as it actually happens is the present. they become irrelevant over time, and as long as they remain possible they are a part of the future.

Mere Intricacy

12-01-2012

I think the thread title is stupid.
Of course the future is inevitable, there's no escaping it..
Is it predetermined is where the debate begins.