What? Who's Viktor?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mattlink92

12-01-2012

Hello League Community,

This is my first post on the forums here, be gentile.

It seems like nobody plays Viktor (sans myself). Admittedly, he is difficult to learn but in the right hands, he can be... well, decent.

My sole issue with my favorite champion is the horrendous cooldown issues he has, particularly his Ultimate (perhaps his W, also). I've seen other complain about scaling, damage issues, and difficulty of play... none of that seems to be a problem in any of my gameplay, however. When he can use his ultimate, he has a pretty nice burst that he can bring to the table in a team-fight or small engagement, but the problem is that being on such a long cooldown, his bursts are often led to shame.

Being a mage-type champion, Viktor tends to be of a squishier nature (gets focused). This can be partially remedied somewhat by building some defensive role-fitting items (Rylai's, ROA, Hourglass, etc), however these items don't allow for Viktor to absorb damage in the same way a tank-class champion might (think Volibear). Because of his need to remain behind larger teammates, Viktor's Q ability is rendered highly noneffective in large-scale engagements. Because of the long cooldown on his ultimate, Viktor is down to having 2 reliable abilities at the start of engagements, only 1 of which does damage. To make matters worse, Viktor's E tends to be buggy at times, and his W is VERY easily avoidable (not to mention also have a tight range).

Now I ask to the community:
Is there some factor I am overlooking to remedy Viktor's problems? I have tried going with a CDR build, but with the recent DFG nerf, it's been hard to manage successfully.

If not, does Viktor deserve some attention from Riot?

TL;DR
Viktor's CD's are too long, makes him a duck without ulti. wtf?

EyeHearShapes

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattlink92 View Post
Hello League Community,

It seems like nobody plays Viktor (sans myself). Admittedly, he is difficult to learn but in the right hands, he can be... well, decent.

My sole issue with my favorite champion is the horrendous cooldown issues he has, particularly his Ultimate (perhaps his W, also). I've seen other complain about scaling, damage issues, and difficulty of play... none of that seems to be a problem in any of my gameplay, however. When he can use his ultimate, he has a pretty nice burst that he can bring to the table in a team-fight or small engagement, but the problem is that being on such a long cooldown, his bursts are often led to shame.

Being a mage-type champion, Viktor tends to be of a squishier nature (gets focused). This can be partially remedied somewhat by building some defensive role-fitting items (Rylai's, ROA, Hourglass, etc), however these items don't allow for Viktor to absorb damage in the same way a tank-class champion might (think Volibear). Because of his need to remain behind larger teammates, Viktor's Q ability is rendered highly noneffective in large-scale engagements. Because of the long cooldown on his ultimate, Viktor is down to having 2 reliable abilities at the start of engagements, only 1 of which does damage. To make matters worse, Viktor's E tends to be buggy at times, and his W is VERY easily avoidable (not to mention also have a tight range).

Is there some factor I am overlooking to remedy Viktor's problems? I have tried going with a CDR build, but with the recent DFG nerf, it's been hard to manage successfully.

TL;DR
Viktor
33 21 61.1% 8.3/game 3.8/game 7.7/game 168.2/game

FutureSound54

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattlink92 View Post
Hello League Community,

TL;DR
I feel viktor's W isn't built for chase, more for escape because chasing enemies with a small range move is ineffective without augment:gravity which is largely outshined in a burst build by the very early damage of augment:death.

Proritizing E is the right way to go, As it provides, range, aoe, and damage complemented with burn from augment:death for amazing damage for a normal ability.

His Q can be nice but generally it scales at the same rate, travels slowly, and the shield isn't great. Augment:Power is useless because you have to get within range for Q to use it, making the Ms unfortunately useless because it counters chasing by having a short range ability.

With significant AP though, viktor can deal several hundred magic damage from his laser during teamfights every 10 seconds. If it feels glitchy, try clicking the spot you want it to go from and dragging to its final position. Smart casting is not recommended, and definetly not just clicking.

His Ult I feel does decent aoe, but the CC is great for a Aoe spell. Don't neglect the after-damage and the fact that it gets slower as it goes.

This is my general Viktor playstyle,
Rushing a augment:death for 45 early ap and 30% bonus on E, maxing E first, then Q, then W, and R at usual levels.

I go for a AP build for burst.

Hope I helped~
My first post too ;D

Sephrinx

12-04-2012

Good post. I would like to play viktor more, he is fun and has a cool kit, but he is just so utterly useless.
Not to mention instead of having a passive he has a junko item. What kind of **** is that?!

EyeHearShapes

12-04-2012

Viktor
33 21 61.1% 8.3/game 3.8/game 7.7/game 168.2/game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephrinx View Post
Good post. I would like to play viktor more, he is fun and has a cool kit, but he is just so utterly useless.
Not to mention instead of having a passive he has a junko item. What kind of **** is that?!

lastcenturion

12-04-2012

riot hates skill caped champions

ShadowlQQ

12-04-2012

there is no answer to this question

EyeHearShapes

12-04-2012

Viktor is one of the sand people off star wars jeez ....

I agree tho burst build and maxing e fast is the way to play Viktor. Also imo smart cast is very important to have on him.
I can see many Viktors benefiting from the new torch item too .

Grollm

12-04-2012

Viktor used to be one of my favorite APs as well. He was actually the first champ I played when he was free and I instantly fell in love with him. Me and Viktor have kinda had a falling out. There is a few reasons why Viktor is not really viable in competitive play. For one his e is very glitchy, the animation is just weird, and it's difficult to land, even for a pro Viktor player. He just doesn't really fit. He doesn't have high utility, yeah his ult but it's on a very long CD, he doesn't have high burst damage or high sustained damage, he's really only a niche pick at lower elos because no one knows what the hell he does, haha. But in all honesty a good Cass, Ahri, or Ryze, will DESTROY Viktor. He is just outclassed by other champs. Sad but true = (

EyeHearShapes

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grollm View Post
Viktor used to be one of my favorite APs as well. He was actually the first champ I played when he was free and I instantly fell in love with him. Me and Viktor have kinda had a falling out. There is a few reasons why Viktor is not really viable in competitive play. For one his e is very glitchy, the animation is just weird, and it's difficult to land, even for a pro Viktor player. He just doesn't really fit. He doesn't have high utility, yeah his ult but it's on a very long CD, he doesn't have high burst damage or high sustained damage, he's really only a niche pick at lower elos because no one knows what the hell he does, haha. But in all honesty a good Cass, Ahri, or Ryze, will DESTROY Viktor. He is just outclassed by other champs. Sad but true = (
Isn't his scaling like third highest in the game for apcs .? I think its fair to say a good Viktor would wreck a ryze and cass considering there lack range . I'm talking lane phase late game ill take ryze and cass over vik