Adolf Hitler gets a time ban

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Flyingbox

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-02-2012

I don't understand. Why is merely mentioning a name of a dramatic historical figure offensive?
There are going to be times in reality where people do some very bad things, but that does not mean people with said names should be "ban-on-sight."

Was the player behaving badly or acting prejudiced against Jewish people? No?
Then what's the problem? He was being polite.

Having Osama Bin-Laden would of course stick thorns in the sides of people but just having the name itself isn't offensive.
Of course tribunal cases are driven by the reasoning of "If a player is offended they will report it and that's when we have a problem." This loops back onto the questions earlier, "how is the name itself offensive when the player isn't being hateful?"

Town Park Radio

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempnameA461 View Post
"They say that he killed the name Adolf dead. I disagree. I'm naming my son Adolf, because otherwhise, they win."

Sub.
Jec.
Tive.
Take a history class. Adolf Hitler was objectively evil. No sane or educated person would debate this.

Town Park Radio

12-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenienDaithen View Post
Yeah. It's amazing what unrestricted scientists can accomplish when they get to do horrible experiments on unwilling slaves. Such a bright point on human history...............

Hitler didn't discover ****, by the way. Hitler wasn't a great leader. His empire collapsed in a very short amount of time.
Looks like you've actually read a history book.

lCantGetNoSleep

12-02-2012

I think this is one of those things though where if you already have a controversial name, you have to be much more cautious or you can get banned. People will, although unfairly, form an opinion of you by the time you get into game with that kind of name. And if you do anything to corroborate their confirmation bias, they'll report. It's kind of a consequence of having a name like that to begin with.

I remember one time when I played a game and saw someone with a name for some illegal *** related thing (which I will not say to protect the player), and I had already planned to report him for inappropriate name before the game even started. However, he turned out to be a nice guy (and that's the reason I'm guessing he had so many wins and hadn't been banned/ name changed), so I ended up not doing that.

Town Park Radio

12-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lCantGetNoSleep View Post
I think this is one of those things though where if you already have a controversial name, you have to be much more cautious or you can get banned. People will, although unfairly, form an opinion of you by the time you get into game with that kind of name. And if you do anything to corroborate their confirmation bias, they'll report. It's kind of a consequence of having a name like that to begin with.

I remember one time when I played a game and saw someone with a name for some illegal *** related thing (which I will not say to protect the player), and I had already planned to report him for inappropriate name before the game even started. However, he turned out to be a nice guy (and that's the reason I'm guessing he had so many wins and hadn't been banned/ name changed), so I ended up not doing that.
No, I'm pretty sure it's fair to form an opinion of anyone who chooses to name themselves "Adolf Hitler" on an online game based on that choice.

dignitas Rampant

12-02-2012

Okay, I'm going approach this as subjective as I can as a Polish Roma. Its gonna be fairly difficult, but he knows that that name will garner a reaction and will probably be considered offensive. I'm not here to argue over the veracity of that emotion, but the fact of the matter is that Adolf Hitler is inherently associated with the atrocities that he ordered and that were done in the name of his Ideology. He was a man whose actions violate many religion's and philosophy's definitions of evil and the person who picked this name understood that this choice would elicit a reaction.

As for the people arguing that Stalin or Zedong were worse, I won't argue with you. These three, along with Andrew Jackson and Pol Pot, are the five most likely people to be isolated in Hell right now. However, only Pol Pot and Adolf Hitler will elicit the reaction, since Stalin and Zedong have defenders in academia, and Jackson is still (somehow) treated with reverence as a US President. The final fact of the matter is that he knew that his name would elicit a reaction from other players.

SantciousBreath

12-06-2012

I appreciate this thread.
But I am sorry for those whom I have offended with my name. It was merely a joke. A kick in the rib if you will.
And I usually try not to "rage" at others during games, but no one's perfect. I'm positive that's over 90% of the reason I had been reported.

xxlazysungxx

12-06-2012

okay i can't believe how stupid you guys are ...i been his friend since he made that name...it was only for a joke and i believe tribunal is for a wrongly player who do bad stuff....not by his name. his action was never bad and i believe he had this account for pretty long...why now criticize his name....why have problem now ?

Kinvaras666

12-06-2012

I say: he deserved a permaban for all his war crimes.

Le Misérable

12-06-2012

Wonder if George W Bush would be considered ban worthy.