City of Heroes is gone now

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

auralzz

11-30-2012

and not a single thread in OT about it

:'(

www.cityofheroes.com

ezrast

12-01-2012

Amazing game. It had so many great qualities that went completely overlooked by just about every competitor in the MMO space. Learning it was shutting down was a seriously depressing moment.

Flodoard

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-01-2012

i know nothing. what made it great?

Coedeed

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-01-2012

That's probably why it got shut down.

ThaBizness

12-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flodoard View Post
i know nothing. what made it great?
You could make lots of money from it.

Also, there were threads about it a while back ago.

CatchandKiss

12-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaBizness View Post
You could make lots of money from it.

Also, there were threads about it a while back ago.
You can make a lot of money on every MMO.

auralzz

12-01-2012

It was great because it had unparalled(I really REALLY mean this) customization options for your character. You would literally never EVER see someone with even remotely the same costume as you unless you used one of the presets. You could change the colors and the physical animations of your powers. You could also make your own missions, own mobs for those missions, and have people rate it and you would receive rewards based on how people liked your mission. There was a very different "gear" system than other MMO's. It was extremely innovative.

It is very dear to the hearts of people who played it for 8+ years. It was also the first superhero MMO. What is even more, the game was quite profitable and NC won't say the real reason it was shut down, and with only two months notice.

ThaBizness

12-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatchandKiss View Post
You can make a lot of money on every MMO.
I'm sure you can.

City of Heroes though was really easy because they had these things called super group bases. You could basically design them any way you wanted to people it was a big deal.

I would buy up SG bases with lots of prestige (money to build stuff with) with in game money, hire the best base designers and pay them with in game money, and sell the end result for real money. I was the only one doing this so there was not competition, just lots of money.

That was on top of selling influence (gold), power levling, Specific builds for PvP, Task Forces, and everything else I was doing for cash on that game that you would do in other MMO's I'm guessing.

auralzz

12-01-2012

The economy was nothing in CoH though. It was a carebear MMO. You got on to play and kill baddies, not grind for gear or money(for the most part).

The casual playerbase made the game very relaxed. Think everything about the league community, and then the opposite(soccer moms, stay at home dads). The most friendly people you will ever meet.

ThaBizness

12-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by auralzz View Post
The economy was nothing in CoH though. It was a carebear MMO. You got on to play and kill baddies, not grind for gear or money(for the most part).

The casual playerbase made the game very relaxed. Think everything about the league community, and then the opposite(soccer moms, stay at home dads). The most friendly people you will ever meet.
You must have played on a weak sever like Liberty where people just wanted to hang out with their "friends", tell bad jokes, while they ran a TF once a night. All while you ran past an empty AE where real money was being made.