League and getting "psyched out".

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

adc

11-30-2012

I feel like a lot of people don't play this game as aggressively as the could be (myself included). I was sitting here idly thinking because I have nothing better to do, and I remember a game I played with some then-friends of mine (ranked 5s).

Bottom lane was Graves (myself) and Sona against a Tristana/Taric lane. Trist and Taric were about 1800 Elo, I was sitting at 1450 at that point (with my minimal amount of games), and Sona was about 1300. I feel like A. Sona was a bad choice of support, and B. we still have the stronger lane early on. But we didn't press an advantage. We just passively farmed, and that doesn't really work against a Tristana.

We eventually lost. Can't remember why, but I think it was a mixture of the jungle not helping our lane, Sona not being good enough to put pressure back on them, my reluctance to be more aggressive, and the other two lanes not doing well. Anyway, we lost and I feel like I could've done better.

This was a while ago, but I remember not wanting to play aggressively because they were more highly rated than we were. I felt like we were behind from the beginning because they were just better. And while this was probably true, that doesn't warrant being a giant bag of dicks about it. So I figure - I'll start playing more aggressively (hopefully with some higher level players) and basically saying "Show me that I can't do this." until I learn the limits of my heroes better.

I feel like Voyboy is a better Akali than I am (for example), not because he can farm better, or because he can press Q + R better than I can (not that Akali is that simple), but because he knows exactly what his champion can do at pretty much any point in the game, whereas I go "LolAkaliQREWOhGodI'mDead". Sure, he's probably better at positioning and teamfighting and such, but I feel like those come from knowing what you can do on a hero.

And yes, I was really ****ing bored when I wrote this. Thoughts?

Drakojan

11-30-2012

Aren't you supposed to passively farm while only poking when no creeps are low on HP? Or have support poke? I'm only level 19, so this could be wrong, but that's what I heard.

adc

12-01-2012

It depends on the lane. If you're playing an Ashe/Soraka lane, then yes, you should be playing passively. You can poke a bit, but most other lanes (Graves/Taric or something) are going to do a lot more damage in trades. But if you're playing a Graves/Taric or Graves/Leona lane, you can be a lot more aggressive and look for kills.

Also, if you can poke at any time safely, it's good to do it.

Skilltestingman

12-01-2012

This is a hard question. The best I can say is that your sona should be the one being aggressive. She can q + auto attack trist or taric and slowly bring them lower and lower. And throw a buckshot at them every now and then. The problem is they have a stun and armor lowering from taric while sona only has a heal and her q.

When sona is 6, I would get her to get a good ult on trist (when u think he's low enough) and spam all the skills on him. 1800 elo or not, he can't get away with that situation.

You have to remember there's only so much one can do with a champ. That's why in the higher elos and in the big tourney plays, they go a little farther then they need to to pick up a kill, because they know chances do not come as easy then in lower elos

Aeshura

12-01-2012

Tristy's gonna push you to tower, how was your tower creeps? You can try using your Q push back, or try to bait Tristy's rocket jump (if they know about the gap in elo, it may make them overconfident.) She's stronger late game than early.

Also even though Taric has a Passive armor, remember your sona has an armor boost as well, so asking her to rank it first can counter the strong armor.

While there is "only so much you can do" It's our job as summoners to push that limit. use your electric slide to juke her rocket jump, as Sona you could feint like your setting up for an ult, bait her jump/summ. Use your smoke grenade on Taric at start, because when Sona ult's he's going to look to stun you, which he can't do if he can't see you.

While they are champ abilities, those four, can become hundreds of variations, and for each one they can synergize well with other champs. Sona's move boost, coupled with your dash, as well as passive armor(Both your passive (10Armor) + Sona's (10?)) (Smokescreen Taric. Super effective) (remember sona can swap auras in...perfect harmony) you can win trades against her early and get back out with little to no damage.

tl;dr even with Taric you should have been tankier and more mobile than trist. Play to your strengths.

Joe Krake

12-01-2012

People should play as they want to and as their champ allows. Going full on agression or taking a more agressive style is comepltely okay. But that shouldn't be the go-to strategy this game has.

And if they psyched you out. That's good. Mind games should be welcomed into this game, but it shouldn't be because of ELO score or whatnot. I'd like it better if they removed borders. It's just serves as a means to divide the community.

Aeshura

12-01-2012

It's not really "Kill or be killed" there's creeps, towers, the jungle, buffs, warding. each has it's own dynamic ways of ensuring victory. Get bullied out of lane, take the fight to their jungle. Always remember if your getting outplayed and you feel you just can't do better, ask someone to swap lanes, take your support top (muss up the jungle along your way). Getting beat in cs, screw it, ward out, push his tower down huehuehue.

Actually just had a match not too long ago we got trashed every trade. So I let the tower fall. it free's up my support (they rarely push deeper in lane, no wards) and I can freely farm large amounts of minion waves. (Be sure to let your team know, sometimes they can just assume your there. Also, if you do this, it's polite to ward dragon, or, well, ward dragon.