Clearing up the Ranked issue

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Fizznity

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierfaust View Post
No, just more than enough experience in the IT industry that I know for a fact that virtual server maintenance is cheap as chips. Not to mention as for setup time, they would have images of all server builds kept somewhere, so it take half a day at most to setup the base and then a couple of days to populate the databases with the necessary information for DOM.
Funny, because they do maintain physical servers. And a lot of them, I'm betting. I also didn't know you knew what their systems architecture was and how much work from every other department they'd need (for example, how much work would it be to actually add that option clientside? It can't be a ton, but its surely nonzero). Or their existing schedules so you could know what you're shoving aside.

Quote:
And still nobody seems to be able to address why TT has ranked, when even the people that play it consider it a complete mess due to the item and map rework.
TT has ranked for the simple reason that it's no cost to leave in an already working feature. I would have expected someone with half a brain to realize this =/

A Slime Appears

11-30-2012

Quote:
Still not a valid point, there are almost no resources involved. After initial setup of a the virtual server, there's an extra 10 mins on the weekly maintenance. Regardless of whether they put ranked in now or in 6 months time doesn't matter. Cost to run a virtual server is next to nothing.

Pretty weak arse excuse once again. Not surprising though.
If there is no resources involved, why did Nome say they need 1-2 weeks of everyone working on it to make it happen? Do you even read?

The real problem with ranked coming first (although I'd like ranked) is that it doesn't fix anything. The balance issues exist. Every other issue that might or might not be an issue exist. It's just a band aid. Yeah sure, you can ban Jayce and Kass, etc out. What happens if your captain doesn't ban them for one reason of another? Oh ****, you still have the same problem and nothing has changed.

I'm sure Dom population would spike after ranked happened, but what about after? The same issues that are making people quit now will still exist. Makes more sense to figure that **** out before we get ranked.

wingstreet

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-30-2012

ranked would get more people interested in it. competitive play always does for anything. more people = quicker solutions because you have a large base to pull information from. i still think ranked would do dom wonders.

tutorials would really help too of course.

Ekis the Seraph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingstreet View Post
ranked would get more people interested in it. competitive play always does for anything. more people = quicker solutions because you have a large base to pull information from. i still think ranked would do dom wonders.

What wingsteet said.

More people would become interested in the game, which means more data to interpolate from. That's one upside to it. Things such as <random champ> being overpowered could be addressed MUCH quicker (seeing as Dominion is usually the first to catch on to super strong builds due to the scenario it provides that is in some cases difficult to achieve in SR)

Again, I hate to use WoW as the shining example, but since I'm a 7-8 year vet of the game, I can tell you the game grew exponentially when competitive PvP came into play. Overpowered specs got nerfed fast once noticed (Oh the days of Mace Warriors and Rogues, and Warlock fears with no Diminishing Returns) and even though imbalances existed even until today, people played and the game steadily grew.

A lot of people state that Ranked is not the answer, but it IS definitely a step in the right direction.

Phourc

12-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIX View Post
[from DD chat]

Ranked isn't that easy, and it isn't going to help that much. So please, don't act like its the OMG SAVIOR OF EVERYTHING DOM RELATED. =p
Huh, really informative quote. So it really is a problem of no players = can't justify supporting = no support = fewer players. Derp.

Absolutely something needs to be done about this, and absolutely it's probably not a ranked queue.

However, that does not change the fact that I, personally, still want ranked Dom. Sometimes you just hear there's a dick-measuring contest on and you want to drop your shorts and grab a ruler just to see how you measure up. xP

urmamasllama

12-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phourc View Post
Huh, really informative quote. So it really is a problem of no players = can't justify supporting = no support = fewer players. Derp.

Absolutely something needs to be done about this, and absolutely it's probably not a ranked queue.

However, that does not change the fact that I, personally, still want ranked Dom. Sometimes you just hear there's a dick-measuring contest on and you want to drop your shorts and grab a ruler just to see how you measure up. xP
best analogy evar

ElevenOfClubs

12-01-2012

Quote:
No, just more than enough experience in the IT industry that I know for a fact that virtual server maintenance is cheap as chips. Not to mention as for setup time, they would have images of all server builds kept somewhere, so it take half a day at most to setup the base and then a couple of days to populate the databases with the necessary information for DOM.

T.T what is educated?

And still nobody seems to be able to address why TT has ranked, when even the people that play it consider it a complete mess due to the item and map rework.

And yet all we are asking for is a separate queue where we can play with like minded people that want to play to win.
Ranked TT is all about the grandfather clause. They added it when ranked was shiny and new (because we put shiny and new mode on our shinny newish game mode), and now they can't take it away.

Or at least there would be a huge outcry if they took it away. It would take time and effort to do,while pissing off their fanbase, for the ability to say to the (much smaller) Dominion fanbase, "TT was unblanced, so we took their ranked away."

Taking away TT ranked makes no sense.

Fabs457

12-01-2012

How much of the dominion population does normal draft mode encompass (those who queue for it regularly instead of blind pick)? Wouldn't it at least be worthwhile for them to rename it to ranked and add the elo-count feature?

trustmeimdoctor

12-01-2012

I think ranked would be a good thing for a couple reasons. First, it would bring in new players attempting to get gold/plat in another game mode. Second, it would keep competitive Dominion players happy. Third, it would give even those that are not ready for ranked something to advance to when they feel they are ready.

I am sort of new to the game but I will eventually lose interest if there is nothing for me to work towards. I probably wouldn't play ranked right away, but I would like something to look forward to. I'd like to know I can play competitively when I am ready to do so.

Herboss

12-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingstreet View Post

For sure, even people who know they suck like to play ranked purely for the possibly their elo number "might" go up. It's pretty much the carrot on a stick that Dominion is missing. Ranked will bring numbers, no doubt about it.