A question about ADC runes.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ninth Wonder

11-30-2012

I understand the reasoning behind a 15 Attack Damage, 15 Armor Penetration and 6.8 Attack Damage, and 25 Armor Penetration rune page for ADC. However, I was told to try 10 ArmPen and 9.6 AD (as close a balance in AD/ArmPen as possible). How viable is this? Or rather, is there a benefit over the 15 ArmPen and 6.8 AD page specifically?

PogoPogoPogoPogo

11-30-2012

If you aren't last hitting every single minion, you need more AD runes and fewer Armor Penetration runes.

You need enough AD to maximize your last-hitting. Not much else matters when it comes to runes.

checkmater75

11-30-2012

No, the AD runes are for early game, ArPen is for Late Game... Armor penatration really helps late game but the AD runes make u trade much better etc and cs better(if you're having trouble with that).. a good balance are all the generic ones.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

11-30-2012

The gold you get from successfully last hitting minions early game scales better into late game than any amount of Armor Penetration you'll get from runes.

IdleAltruism

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmater75 View Post
No, the AD runes are for early game, ArPen is for Late Game... Armor penatration really helps late game but the AD runes make u trade much better etc and cs better(if you're having trouble with that).. a good balance are all the generic ones.
That's completely wrong. Currently armor pen doesn't scale at all into the late game. It is an early/midgame stat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth Wonder
I understand the reasoning behind a 15 Attack Damage, 15 Armor Penetration and 6.8 Attack Damage, and 25 Armor Penetration rune page for ADC. However, I was told to try 10 ArmPen and 9.6 AD (as close a balance in AD/ArmPen as possible). How viable is this? Or rather, is there a benefit over the 15 ArmPen and 6.8 AD page specifically?
There is some merit to this as the few extra points of damage makes for a slightly better break point for CSing for some of the lower base AD champs. The difference in damage vs the enemy AD carry (sitting at about 30 armor, or 23% DR) is around 3 damage extra per hit and a reduction to the enemies armor to 12% total reduction, opposed to -3 damage and armor reduced to 8% reduction (with the mastery), so you're looking at a 4% increase in physical damage before you apply the 10% mastery, which means per 100 damage dealt you'd be gaining 4 damage.

So lets take Ezreal at level one as an example. With 10Arpen and 10AD at level 1 he'd be sitting at 63 AD. Against a 30 armor target he'd be hitting for 55 damage on a regular attack and 86 damage on a mystic shot.

With the flat Arpen you'd be sitting at 60 AD. Against the same 30 armor target he'd hit for 56 damage with an auto and 88 damage on a mystic shot.

I included the 10% mastery in these calculations.

So as you can see, you definitely get more damage against champions with the Arpen runes, but your AD gets dangerously low in terms of last hitting. So if you wanted to utilize this split, you'd probably do it on lower base damage ADs, like Trist, who has extra incentive to go for more AD because last hitting can be tricky with her explosive shots. I could maybe see an argument for Ashe and Kog as well.

Certain champs, like Caitlyn, really like the pure armor pen because of the insane amount of harass they can throw out (same for Ezreal depending on play style). Also, Corki is a strange beast with his passive adding true damage and his E giving -armor.