[Featured Discussion] Lets talk about the global aura.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ElevenOfClubs

11-30-2012

Mana regen, and passive xp & gold are essential to what makes this game mode what it is. They should not be removed.

Energy/rage champions do need something to remain competitive.

It is my opinion that the free pen has a net positive effect. Tanks and tanky champions must be balanced around the 5v5 teamfight of SR that happen only rarely in dominion.

Basically, I see it like this, remove pen, and bruisers will be able to absorb more damage before dying. It will make it even harder to play glass-cannon carries.

That being said, bruisers DO get too much out of the pen relative to carries. I think the aura needs to reward damage with those that build for damage, and people who just build tanky should get less out of it.

You could make AD carries more viable by reducing the percentage A.pen than giving a fraction of your crit chance as bonus % A.pen. The only stat I can think that tying magic pen to would be AP, but that is likely abusive. I'd prefer to see more end game items with smaller percentage magic pen that can go into a mage's core build; like putting 2-5% on each of Wogglets, DFG, athene's, litch bane, ... potentially BFT depending on how strong it is after the rework.

As for the healing reduction....

Sustain is potentially broken in this game mode, particularly when coupled with the mana regen aura. Everyone knows how strong poke is; imagine what would happen if support champions could just push a button and undo a round of poke?

On the one hand, fights would drag out longer, which is unfun. On the other, healing-centric champions like Soraka, Tarric, Sona, and Vlad aren't particularly viable right now.

My opinion is it's not fun to play against ultra-high lifesteal/spellvamp. They can easily out-heal the damage of tankier champions while still ripping those champions apart, meaning that without CC and focus fire, they never die; or that once they escape a fight, they can just run to a minion wave top off in a few seconds and it's almost as bad as if they revived (the difference being there exists fun counter play to high sustain).

Granted, I'm heavily biased against this because it's most effective on types of champions I can't play, and least effective on champions I can. So I am highly biased. But what I would like to see is a less healing reduction when healing allies, but about equal self-heal and lifesteal/spellvamp/hp5.

Besides, do we really want to buff Nunu's consume?

Regarding roll specific auras; it would only work if you make them player selectable. The current set of tags are notriously silly. Pantheon is an assassin and not a fighter? Mundo's not a tank?

tl;dr, I like each piece of the Dominion aura; although the penetration should have a mechanic where you get more if you're building to be a damage dealer rather than tanky.

Kraogg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron View Post
Mana regen should stay. The increased regen gives a lot more freedom to play many champions how you want to. For older champions, it is practically the only thing keeping them in the mode versus the newer, near-manaless releases.

Max energy or energy regen should definitely be addressed with the aura. The energy champions that have good energy recovery stand way far ahead of the ones that don't.

Fury generation should be addressed for sure. It is the worst resource system to have in this mode.

Healing reduction could stand to be removed if defense stacking became harder to do.

Gold generation could be tuned up if the hypercarries were balanced through other means, but I don't think the experience rate should be changed.

Penetrations should be dropped in its current state. These extra bonuses should be gained through items so they're given to specific characters, otherwise you're giving free penetration to tanks and supports and lessening the efficiency of actual damage roles. Well, unless you try that class idea...

Changing the aura based on champion tags: This is a mixed bag, but I think it would work with enough number tweaking after its introduction. Crit damage for ADC, penetration for assassins, movespeed for support, CC reduction for tanks, life steal or spell vamp for bruisers, etc. Maybe even raising the CDR cap for mages to 50%, if that is possible to do. I could see it being balanced after enough passes, as I feel there are few enough exceptions to the roles.
This post hit just about every change needed.

Stexe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

11-30-2012

I'd love to see some type of global CDR. It would make fights more interesting and casters less useless as they waited for their cooldowns.

Overall, the other ones seem fairly good. Haven't noticed it much outside of attacks doing moderately more damage than normal to tanky targets.

SoBeNirvana

Adjudicator

11-30-2012

1) The pen aura benefits mainly - bruisers. Bruisers are typically the ones doing hybrid damage (Lee Sin, Irelia, Jax, Diana) and thus benefit the most from it. It needs to be changed.

2) The mana regen aura basically keeps every single character from having to buy Chalice or Tear. It needs to be kept.

3) On a side note, the lack of cdr in the aura and the 40% cdr cap kind of hurts traditional mages (Annie, Veigar) far more on this map than on others.

4) I really like the idea a lot of people suggested of including 4-6 permanent enchantments that can be bought for 1 g at the beginning of the game.

Ekis the Seraph

11-30-2012

I personally like the "picking the aura". Treat it like picking between the Tank, Healer, and DPS roles of WoW.

Have 3-5 Global CS Auras that players get to choose from. Have them offer something similar to the following (each has benefits and risks):

Red Crystal Aura (for the Damage Dealers, or those who built defensively yet want some added damage, or those who'd prefer to front-load damage and care less about defensive capabilities):

• Increased Mana/Energy/Fury Regeneration
  • 10% Armor Penetration
  • 10% Magic Penetration
  • -5% Armor and Magic Resistance

Purple Crystal Aura (For the Tanks, or those who've specced more offensively but are really squishy)
  • 5% Armor Increase (with a minimum of 10 armor, to offset the Red Crystal Aura and not create overpoweredness in either aura)
  • 5% Magic Resist Increase (with a minimum of 10 Magic Resist, to offset the Red Crystal Aura and not create overpoweredness in either aura)
  • 10% Tenacity (Does not stack with Similar Tenacity-based items)
  • -5% in damage (Both Ability Power and Physical could be affected)

Yellow Crystal Aura (For the champions who move slow like Darius or lack in CDR that would heavily benefit from early CDR a.k.a. Xerath, Annie, Veigar)
  • Increased Mana/Energy/Fury Regeneration (Only 50% from what the other auras would get, to force spammers to have to go back or grab a health relic, yet maintain a decent amount of sustainability)
  • 10% Cooldown Reduction
  • 8% Movement Speed

Black Crystal Aura (For those who would love more spell vamp and/or lifesteal or both like Akali or Jax, or other hybrid champions, or in this case someone like Vladimir who has horrible sustain as it is)
  • 10% Spell Vamp
  • 10% Lifesteal
  • 10 Health Regen per 5 seconds
  • -1.75% in all stats such as Attack Speed, Crit, AP, Damage, Bonus Armor Pen/Magic Pen, etc. (with the exception of movement speed)

Green Crystal Aura (For the Support/Healer/CC types, or even burst mages)
  • Increased Mana/Energy/Fury Regeneration (with 20% more than what's offered in similar Auras)
  • All forms of Self-Healing increased by 10%, healing to others increased by 5% (Could stack with Spirit Visage)
  • Ability Power increased by 3 per level
  • -0.75% CDR/level (with no change to CDR if already at 0% to equalize out to bigger heals but less ability to spam...they'd have to rush CDR to counteract this and they'd get weaker as they level, at max CDR and at level 18 they'd be down to about 27% CDR so they'd have to build at least another CDR item to counteract this)

Of course the numbers could be tweaked, but if you want to see itemization diversity and variety in champ selection or even playstyles this would be a perfect way to do it, since no buff gives an added buff without something of a debuff. Mind you, I'm just brainstorming.

Sauron

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekis the Seraph View Post
Blackfire Crystal Aura
Oh god what have I done I take this back.

(But I do agree it would be a pretty nifty feature to pick the aura upon starting the game, and would make Dominion stand out quite a bit, even if it initially just uses an item-like implementation)

BuddhaRice

11-30-2012

Mana regen, gold generation, and experience gain should all remain the same, for reasons states by others.

Penetration needs to be either reduced or completely removed. Like sauron said, tanks/supports do way too much damage and if a tank malphite can do 1500 damage over ~10 seconds, then the need and demand for bruisers (AD and AP) decreases, effectively forcing people to maybe step away from those certain roles.

Additionally, we should add to the global aura something that nullifies respawn timers. The comeback respawn timers are actually more broken than all of sauron's "CHEESECAKE TIER" champs combined.

Painkillar

11-30-2012

I'm personally not a fan of the lifesteal aura. It makes champs like Fiddlesticks, Vlad, Fiora (anyone with passive or an abilities that lifesteal) a wie bit gimped. I suppose you could keep the 20 percent on lifesteal nerf on items (scepter, revolver); however make it so that champions actual abilities and passives are not effected by this aura. If anything, this will soften the blow on the viability on some of the weaker lifesteal/heal dependent champions.
Another idea would be to make it so that lifesteal is gives full lifesteal on champion hits, but does 20 percent less healing on minions if you are still concerned about champions healing too much on minions.

Ekis the Seraph

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painkillar View Post
I'm personally not a fan of the lifesteal aura. It makes champs like Fiddlesticks, Vlad, Fiora (anyone with passive or an abilities that lifesteal) a wie bit gimped. I suppose you could keep the 20 percent on lifesteal nerf on items (scepter, revolver); however make it so that champions actual abilities and passives are not effected by this aura. If anything, this will soften the blow on the viability on some of the weaker lifesteal/heal dependent champions.
Another idea would be to make it so that lifesteal is gives full lifesteal on champion hits, but does 20 percent less healing on minions if you are still concerned about champions healing too much on minions.
Well I'm only brainstorming, I didn't say those were concrete or any of the sort, just trying to give examples of where "picking the aura" would increase champion and item variety, and possibly a barebone idea of where to start.

People are reading too far into my post >.>

EDIT: I just realized you were talking about the current aura. I'm slow as hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron View Post
Oh god what have I done I take this back.

(But I do agree it would be a pretty nifty feature to pick the aura upon starting the game, and would make Dominion stand out quite a bit, even if it initially just uses an item-like implementation)
What unholiness have you created!!!! :O But yeah, it'd be an excellent feature upon starting the game, leaves a lot open to variety, and in many cases shift the tiers around a little bit.

An example would be of Vladimir, a champ we all know is sub-par.:

If he had the choice to pick an aura that would increase his sustainability vs. the default aura, that would not only make him a semi-decent pick but in some cases either open his item build and/or masteries and/or runes up to more variety ("Should I build for more damage and kill these guys? Or amplify my sustainability defensive capabilities and become nigh unkillable?")

That way, champions can be nerfed or buffed according to the "gold standard" Summoner Rift's standards without affecting much how well they'd do in Dominion, outside of builds and possible aura selection.

Auras could then be buffed, nerfed, or changed depending on how strong or how weak they are overall.

For instance, using the Yellow Crystal Aura of my previous post: a player could choose Kassadin, move around like crazy, yet run out of mana faster being less of a presence in teamfights. But then he definitely wouldn't be doing as much damage has he is with the added penetration he'd get if he chose the Red Crystal Aura.

Or, if he chose the Red Crystal aura and went Glassadin, he'd certainly die faster to get that added damage.

Or if he went Purple and went Tankadin he'd be as strong as he is now, but surely wouldn't do the same amount of damage due to the 5% damage dealing reduction and the lack of the passive magic penetration from the default or Red Crystal Aura)

If he went Green, well he'd definitely be bursty and could move around a bit more, but in order to get around he'd have to rush CDR and Damage to still be a presence. Assuming the -0.75 CDR/Level was taken seriously, that means at level 6, assuming he rushed Catalyst (or Tear for next patch) and opted to not build any CDR, or have the 4% from the offensive tree, that means he'd have no CDR Reduction unless he rushed a CDR item such as Frozen Heart, and it'd take out about 4.5% CDR from what he has. (Here's where Riot could add like a minimum default CDR reduction)

In any sense, I was trying to make all the auras viable for every champion where they'd have added strengths in some places yet weaknesses in another. Trying to show variety in a way that can open up builds and team comps, and so on and what have you

Giraffesyo

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancefighter View Post
If you did the whole class thing, then youd be indirectly nerfing things like AP trist, unless the aura somehow magically figured out what class you were.. Yeah I dont really see how.

I am of the opinion that the dominion aura could stand to be removed almost completely, excepting the mana regen part.

Unless you could pick a class.