[Featured Discussion] Lets talk about the global aura.

First Riot Post
1234567 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Emokore

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-30-2012

I agree that the healing reduction should go. (several champs are less viable because of it) Just change or limit the amount of lifesteal and regen by making new dominion items.

Mana regen should stay, mages need it.

I agree it should also increse energy regen as well.

perhaps adding scaling AP and AD would be nice and take away the pen. This would help hybrid champs be more viable.

Sauron

11-30-2012

Mana regen should stay. The increased regen gives a lot more freedom to play many champions how you want to. For older champions, it is practically the only thing keeping them in the mode versus the newer, near-manaless releases.

Max energy or energy regen should definitely be addressed with the aura. The energy champions that have good energy recovery stand way far ahead of the ones that don't.

Fury generation should be addressed for sure. It is the worst resource system to have in this mode.

Healing reduction could stand to be removed if defense stacking became harder to do.

Gold generation could be tuned up if the hypercarries were balanced through other means, but I don't think the experience rate should be changed.

Penetrations should be dropped in its current state. These extra bonuses should be gained through items so they're given to specific characters, otherwise you're giving free penetration to tanks and supports and lessening the efficiency of actual damage roles. Well, unless you try that class idea...

Changing the aura based on champion tags: This is a mixed bag, but I think it would work with enough number tweaking after its introduction. Crit damage for ADC, penetration for assassins, movespeed for support, CC reduction for tanks, life steal or spell vamp for bruisers, etc. Maybe even raising the CDR cap for mages to 50%, if that is possible to do. I could see it being balanced after enough passes, as I feel there are few enough exceptions to the roles.

SaikoGekido

11-30-2012

Since Dominion was first released, I always felt that AD had a distinct advantage in the matches. For example, I have an armor penetration rune page that gives me 29 armor penetration (including masteries). On top of that is the 10% armor penetration mastery, and then the global buff. This makes my early level auto attacks completely unmitigated. That's why I've always had that feeling of AD having a clear advantage.

Recycled EU

11-30-2012

Gold, mana reg and xp components of the aura are the only key components in my mind, especially with the pen changes inc next season

MyDeadGrandma

11-30-2012

The %pen does seem redundant with season 3, but you should wait until the changes have actually been implemented before the aura is tampered with.

And the class roles should be a no go. LoL was supposed to set itself apart from dota by different playstyles on single characters through scaling abilities. The less pigeonholed a character is into a single role/playstyle, the better. However, the selective aura might work if you could trigger what aura you wanted before the match starts, as you would masteries/runes.

Phourc

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIX View Post
What if the aura was changed to only affect bonus mana regen?
I kind of like this idea, I feel like the mana regen nerf is only harmful until you build a mana regen item or two...

I would echo the sentiment that probably the best way to proceed would be drop the bonus pen and consider it rolled into the S3 defense nerfs, possibly keeping the healing reduction (though again, lifesteal is getting more expensive, so maybe that can be dropped as well), and obviously keeping some form of the mana aura.

SlasherBag

11-30-2012

If anything I would up mana regen a tad. With new champs being near manaless and older ones still having high usage, you won't be really making the strong any stronger, and you can bring some older champs back on the scene (if they were ever there )

Energy regen please. Kennen and Shen eat it huge for this one (I run regen runes on kennen/zed just to be barely able to use abilities frequently in a team fight, it'd be nice to actually use them more often without doing arithmetic in my head in a fight)

The %mpen I would lessen or flat remove, as you can get plenty of mpen right now relative to the %gained. Arp is a slightly different story as its not as available via items, but with S3 change to pen I suspect this won't matter, though it would free up for more creative rune use rather than just running 23/25 pen pages.

Gold/exp are great where they are at, unless you want the mode to essentially go faster. Scaling the limiting factor in how fast any champ builds will essentially make snowballs a little more snowbally, but thats even on both teams so it would really just speed up/slow down matches, and I don't see any reason to do that.

Tortferngatr

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNome View Post
I want to start this off as open-ended as possible. Who does the global aura benefit? Do the champions that benefit from each of its individual bonuses (armor penetration, magic penetration, and mana regeneration) need these bonuses? If we removed the aura--either wholesale, or specific portions--what would happen to the map? If we gave different champion classes different bonuses (mana regeneration for mages, damage for bruisers, movement and attack speed for AD, etc.), would this be preferable to a single one-size-fit-all aura?
Have a group of special items. You can only use one (locks out the others), but it costs nothing.

Each item gives different "mini-auras" to your char a la Eleisa's Miracle disappear, adding diversity. I would investigate ways of ensuring you know which champs have which mini-auras.

For example:

The Carry (ranged only)
+25 Autoattack range
5 AD+2 AD/level
+15% Crit Damage
Weakened Chalice passive (0.5 percent additional mana regen per 1% missing)

The Mage (ranged only)
10 AP+2 AP per level
Normal Chalice passive
Your cooldown reduction can reach a 50% cap rather than a 40% cap.

The Tank (melee only)
*coming soon*

The AD Caster
10 AD+3 per level
+10% CDR

etc.

Bruisers receive the short end of the stick.

As for Teemo...outlier who is already getting nerfs.

Maleficarum

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-30-2012

I feel the mana regen aura will remain necessary as long as mana costs are based on attrition in SR lanes.

Palladine

11-30-2012

Here's my input on the subject:

I believe the mana regeneration aura is extremely important, and should not be removed. Removing the mana regeneration aura slows down the game, encourages passive play, and consumes an item slot (via a now-required regen item) on AP/mana heavy champions who are already sometimes cramped for item slots in long games.

Also, many strong champions right now (Zix & Jayce, for example) have very low mana costs and would unlikely be affected as much as other champions (Swain, Ryze, Anivia) that need higher mana expeditures in order to be competitive.

I'd probably recommend turning the passive gold aura down a little bit. The experience aura is okay as it is, and helps prevent snowballing via champion levels as it is, which I believe is a good thing on Dominion. However, the passive gold aura almost guarantees late-game status for most champions, assuming the game is not extremely passive or over in 9 minutes because one team is destroying the other.

This brings problems when one team is composed of hyper-scaling champions that become far stronger than other champions late-game. This is made even worse when those champions are also made innately tanky by their kits and/or high base stats. Jax & Jayce are the primary offenders of this on Dominion right now, I believe.

As of right now, it's much harder comparatively for a team to win before the mark that these champions become extremely strong automatically than for a team of hyper-scaling champions to stall long enough to become strong.

Turning down the gold aura (maybe by 20-25% or so?) would slow this pace that hyper-carry using teams would reach critical mass, giving early-strength teams more breathing room.

The alternative to this, of course, is just to adjust those champions that scale to such a massive degree in the end-game, while still remaining tanky just with their base numbers and kits, but this may affect SR/TT play as well, so this would have to be approached carefully.

I also do not recommend splitting the aura into certain buffs for certain types of champions. This would be difficult I think because it could pigeonhole certain champions into having to build one way in order to benefit from their buff or lose out from it. AP Yi, AD Malzahar and AS/on-hit (cute-rage!) Lulu are cool and fun builds that might suffer if these types of champions (fighter/mage/support, respectively) were given buffs respective to their primary roles.

1234567 ... 10