Have Dominion-Specific Champion Nerfs Ever Been Discussed?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Skulleer

12-04-2012

If you compare Dominion's highest win-rate champions for the last month:

http://www.lolking.net/charts?region...&range=monthly

to all ranked:

http://www.lolking.net/charts?region...&range=monthly

you can see that Dominion has way more broken champions. I've been thinking that it would be a much more viable game mode in the eyes of many if, for example, the presence or absence of heimerdinger or rammus on your team didn't basically decide the game.

Why not attempt to bring some of those a little closer to 50% with specific nerfs so that the viable champion pool is larger?

Edit: The links don't retain their specificity when you click through to them, so you're going to have to change the pull downs.

Tempestphile

12-04-2012

134.5k games played by Teemo

Oh poor friends of Dominion that got trolled by BFT Teemo

Purpleskoal

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2012

You don't think champs should feel/play similarly between the modes?

Grantson

12-04-2012

Teemo... Gee, what a surprise. The percentage of win for teemo is flawed, because he's so popular there's one in each team which lowers his ratio down to 50% win. His weight of causing a win in the game is much higher then the data indicates.

Skulleer

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpleskoal View Post
You don't think champs should feel/play similarly between the modes?
I think they would feel the same, except whereas before they felt broken, they now feel like the player is deciding the outcome instead of the champion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantson View Post
Teemo... Gee, what a surprise. The percentage of win for teemo is flawed, because he's so popular there's one in each team which lowers his ratio down to 50% win. His weight of causing a win in the game is much higher then the data indicates.
I hadn't considered that. Would it invalidate my argument for the other champions or only ones with ridiculous popularity? Even so, I'm sure Riot has the real numbers and can see that some are heavily skewed toward winning.

Everyone always seems to talk about ranked mode as a way to attract people, but I think balance is far more important. If it feels like the wild west and someone doesn't particularly want to play one of those champions, then it's a lot less fun.

Hamm3rhand

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2012

I don't think that win rate is the only way to go with this. look at the win rate for the all ranked - the highest is rumble, but he's played in such a small percentage of games. that means that the people who play him are probably only those who are really good with him, so it gets skewed. if you look at number of games played, ez is by far the most, but he is 12th as far as win percentage goes. Compared to twitch (same role) who has a higher win rate by a full % point, but ez has like 16x more games than twitch played, which is more impressive in my opinion.

browsing around on that looking to see if i can see something that matches my personal experience, i think that looking at the overall win numbers under the popularity bars looks about right. Once you get past teemo, jax and darius, the overall number of wins settles down pretty quickly. Darius isn't even that high compared to jax and teemo. Its well known that jax is a strong champion in dominion, even if he isn't the biggest problem, and teemo is a major issue and that shows in his total won games being 70k higher than jax's and 130 k higher than the average of most of the other champs in the top 15.

interestingly though, if you look at it that way, it actually takes the all ranked values much longer to settle down into a consistent number of won games - i'd say jax and sona still have significant advantages in terms of wins over the rest of the visible champs there and they are in 6th and 7th place. So as far as OP champs, i'd say there might be more of an imbalance in ranked than in dominion, as we have about 3 and ranked has about 7, just according to how i'm looking at the data there.