I feel discouraged

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

VroomVrooms

11-30-2012

I'm not the most experienced player, and I've always wanted to do ranked games more seriously opposed to normal games, but I've felt discouraged from playing them because everyone is super serious about their games (I always get bullied into dodging) and thus I don't want to ruin their experience.

Any tips for (barely) starting to play ranked?

Noobunaga

11-30-2012

Don't be discouraged. Most people will be very "serious" about their games, but that doesn't have to affect you in the slightest. You're there to play the game, get better at it, and help whoever needs the help.
Bullied into dodging? Kindly tell them to stop and just don't mind their ways. It's nothing to get upset, worried or discouraged about. Most people are too into it, and forget why exactly they're playing and what exactly they need to do. To improve themselves, that is. So they throw the blame around to anything and anyone they find. And as I've said, this does not concern you. Just play, have fun and make the most out of it. Also, never blame, but rather see what went wrong and try to improve

Another tip: try and play with a friend, or 4 friends. It's easier when you're with someone you know, and usually, more fun.

There's not much anyone can tell you tbh... Just don't get down, don't mind 'em and play 'til yer fingers fall off

I also suggest this dude's channel His vids are really nice, and are good for people who're playing in ranked and have different dilemmas in how to play or how to grow in 'skill': [here]

PS: I've been playing almost coop vs ai just so I don't get to play with too many trolls or griefers. LOL

mnun

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Izzy View Post
I'm not the most experienced player, and I've always wanted to do ranked games more seriously opposed to normal games, but I've felt discouraged from playing them because everyone is super serious about their games (I always get bullied into dodging) and thus I don't want to ruin their experience.

Any tips for (barely) starting to play ranked?
Start out by playing draft normals. They help alot

Meowskies

11-30-2012

I play ranked very rarely and I've played 2000+ games. I can play each role -okish- but I just get so stressed for many reasons. Best of luck though~

VanceStubbs

11-30-2012

Ranked is not any different from Normal.

Some people whine harder, but they do the same on normal so what does it matter?

Runix

11-30-2012

+1 on starting out playing draft normals. That will help with the biggest difference between "casual" mode Normals and Ranked: the bans and picks process.

Also, be absolutely certain to have at least two roles you can play - ideally three or more. One of the more serious issues players who are new to Ranked have is that they can only play one role, and they won't play anything else; but then they're in a mode where if they dodge, they lose points (and no, other players are not going to dodge just so you won't lose any points), so they're forced to play another role and then they end up doing terribly and/or raging. Things will just go a lot, lot more smoothly if you are flexible on role and can do whatever your team needs you to do.