Energy Junglers vs. Mana Junglers

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

bearjew17

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal View Post
*I know how to itemize to not have mana problems, I just DON'T WANT TO. That's kinda my point.
I think you misunderstand my emphasis on shurelyas. you are buying it for the active and the cdr. the active alone is almost well worth the cost on skarner. the extra mana and health are just nice.

origiona

11-30-2012

I don't rush shurelyas as skarner every single time and I never have mana issues probably just need to not use W to get around the map. Common mistake among people playing skarner.

1st HanarSpectre

11-30-2012

Quote:

All these energy based junglers are making my skarner jealous.
You mean the ONE viable energy based jungler?
All of them Lee sins be making my Skarner jealous I reckon.

slifer556

11-30-2012

Quote:
Here is the conundrum: I like some mana based junglers like Skarner, but I almost never pick them over energy based junglers because they require mana.
  • Mana based junglers (skarner more than others) must wrestle with taking blue for themselves vs giving it to mid
  • If they give it to mid they are forced to itemize for mana/mana regen instead of buying other items- an opportunity cost.
  • (yes I know how wonderful frozen heart is on skarner in particular and it solves mana issues while offering other useable benefits)
So, what do you all think? Do you feel the same way? I know this isn't new but recently I've missed playing Skarner but just hate picking him over someone like Rengar or Lee Sin. I enjoy playing Skarner more but feel at more of a disadvantage to myself and the team.
I think the bigger problem would be getting denied your first blue, screwing your inital jungle

Numalex

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-30-2012

Quote:
These are all good points:
*The lane does OFTEN benefit more from blue. However, they also itemize that way because they benefit from the AP as well.
*I know how to itemize to not have mana problems, I just DON'T WANT TO. That's kinda my point.

Regardless, I should just accept that I shouldn't be using Q to jungle after that first clear.

All these energy based junglers are making my skarner jealous.

Skarner ganks are da best anyway. I don't usually buy Gp10 items on him because I want to get that sheen ASAP. It is a monster. and the first built for skarner no matter where I play him. Who needs to worry about jungle clears when you have a perma slow for anyone who dares extend and a sheen proc after every Q to follow it up. And sheen will give you some mana to help out as well. I just find him such a monster in the jungle with that slow and sheen procs. Ward up their jungle and make that jungler cry.

koosalagoopagoop

11-30-2012

Eh its rough. I like to kayle jungle but shes spent after one gank mana wise and you get reported for not giving blue up. Not that you will get banned for that, but you pretty much have to be a saint because you slip up you will get "you have been reported in 50% of your games, your obviously a troll ban not lifted"

DivineJackalope

11-30-2012

I've only played jungle maokai before, and he absolutley NEEDS blue to get by for a while.

Carmikael

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-30-2012

Instead of "energy" I think you mean "manaless" champions which includes a much larger range of junglers like shyvana or rengar.

My biggest problem with mana champions in the jungle is how dependent many of them are on it so if your first blue buff gets taken your entire jungle is ruined. Most can survive without blue after the first one but thats a judgement call.

Giving blue to mid is so meta its ridiculous. But that is another forum topic altogether. Basically that is another judgement call.

Building for mana isn't necessarily an issue either. For example on Maokai I will give mid blue and will build some armor, health and vision wards. This forces me to perform constant ganks where my mana will be utilized the most.

Also don't forget that giving buffs away also takes away from your experience and gold. Some champions are indeed more item dependent. I will still keep taking blue with shyvana and rengar if it means my ganks or jungling will be that much stronger whether it be for gear or wards.

koosalagoopagoop

11-30-2012

I would like to be able to build manamune without being called a troll. Need to change its passive to be more usefull mid/early game for that tho, cus not many champs that would consider building it need the mana late game anyhow.

Bullettime7

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmikael View Post
Instead of "energy" I think you mean "manaless" champions which includes a much larger range of junglers like shyvana or rengar.

My biggest problem with mana champions in the jungle is how dependent many of them are on it so if your first blue buff gets taken your entire jungle is ruined. Most can survive without blue after the first one but thats a judgement call.

Giving blue to mid is so meta its ridiculous. But that is another forum topic altogether. Basically that is another judgement call.

Building for mana isn't necessarily an issue either. For example on Maokai I will give mid blue and will build some armor, health and vision wards. This forces me to perform constant ganks where my mana will be utilized the most.

Also don't forget that giving buffs away also takes away from your experience and gold. Some champions are indeed more item dependent. I will still keep taking blue with shyvana and rengar if it means my ganks or jungling will be that much stronger whether it be for gear or wards.
This is why I generally prefer to jungle champions like Mundo, Shyvana, and Rengar over Nautilus (though I love him,) Malphite, etc in solo queue. The enemy invades and takes your buffs and your team is incompetent and won't rush their blue? All good. I'll keep clearing basically no different than I would have before. I probably would have passed off blue to the mid anyways.

Less worry about blue and its effect on your clear time, don't have to itemize around mana when you wouldn't have blue buff, and don't ever oom middle of a fight when you need it (can happen after constantly ganking lanes.)