Energy Junglers vs. Mana Junglers

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cereal

Adjudicator

11-30-2012

Here is the conundrum: I like some mana based junglers like Skarner, but I almost never pick them over energy based junglers because they require mana.

• Mana based junglers (skarner more than others) must wrestle with taking blue for themselves vs giving it to mid
  • If they give it to mid they are forced to itemize for mana/mana regen instead of buying other items- an opportunity cost.
  • (yes I know how wonderful frozen heart is on skarner in particular and it solves mana issues while offering other useable benefits)
So, what do you all think? Do you feel the same way? I know this isn't new but recently I've missed playing Skarner but just hate picking him over someone like Rengar or Lee Sin. I enjoy playing Skarner more but feel at more of a disadvantage to myself and the team.

Xenolithium

11-30-2012

Mundo think you big sissy.

Subdue

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-30-2012

I rarely have mana issues even on mana intensive junglers after the first blue buff. Philosopher Stone -> Shurelya's is so strong, and it solves most mana issues. Plus, if you are playing a gank heavy game, your health and mana get low at about the same time anyway, so you'd be heading back one way or the other.

Amélie Poulain

11-30-2012

lee sin is really the only viable energy jungler atm

shen jungle has great ganks but that's it (he needs lane gold and he clears camps slowly)
zed jungle is... all damage no cc
akali jungle has never really been a thing
and jungle kennen is no

mana junglers don't /always/ need blue; it all lies on how much the abilities are spammed early on

CharlieSheensEgo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-30-2012

Grab a philio stone, it's good GP5, good for survivability and gives decent mana regen, if you still have a problem try only using your Q or grab glacial shroud early.

Dimwitt

11-30-2012

No because Philo exist...What mana problems ?

bearjew17

11-30-2012

you like skarner and arent rushing surelyas?!?!?!??! thats why you have mana problems.

Numalex

11-30-2012

Depends how you play your jungle. I usually use that first blue to get as much of my levels out of the way as possible. After that when I am safe (and usually hit lvl 4 and 5 about same as mid) I don't use abilities to clear the jungle. Skarner has that nice shield that comes in handy but I don't hardly ever Q jungle camps past lvl 4 unless I see something that needs my attention and I must rush the camp. No blue early in lane is much harder on your team that no blue in the jungle.

Cereal

Adjudicator

11-30-2012

These are all good points:
*The lane does OFTEN benefit more from blue. However, they also itemize that way because they benefit from the AP as well.
*I know how to itemize to not have mana problems, I just DON'T WANT TO. That's kinda my point.

Regardless, I should just accept that I shouldn't be using Q to jungle after that first clear.

All these energy based junglers are making my skarner jealous.

SlumlordThanatos

11-30-2012

Jungle Amumu says hi.