Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Game][Critical][Feedback]Tiamat is a Babylonian GOD

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IonDragonX

11-30-2012

@Riot:
I'm sorry that I can't shut up any more. But I'm a nerd and your fan base is full of my kind. You are currently insinuating that the Lernaean Hydra was a superior being to Tiamat. This is constantly irritating to me!

We have the item "Tiamat", which is named after the Babylonian god. It is inferior to the "Ravenous Hydra", which is named after the Greek monster.

Here's the first paragraph from Wikipedia about Tiamat: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiamat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiamat)

Quote:
In Babylonian mythology, Tiamat is a chaos monster, a primordial goddess of the ocean, mating with Abzû (the god of fresh water) to produce younger gods. .... In the second "Chaoskampf" Tiamat is considered the monstrous embodiment of primordial chaos.[1] Although there are no early precedents for it, some sources identify her with images of a sea serpent or dragon.[2] In the Enûma Elish, the Babylonian epic of creation, she gives birth to the first generation of deities; she later makes war upon them and is killed by the storm-god Marduk. The heavens and the earth are formed from her divided body.

I provided the underlines above to illustrate that Tiamat was a god. She has a name, too. Her name is "Tiamat".

Here is a snip about the Lernaean Hydra: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lernaean_Hydra (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lernaean_Hydra)
Quote:
He [Heracles] fired flaming arrows into the Hydra's lair, the spring of Amymone, a deep cave that it only came out of to terrorize neighboring villages.[4]

o.O Again, I provided the underline above. The Lernaean Hydra was a monster and a coward. Dangerous to villages, apparently, but certainly NOT a god. It didn't even have a name! It was not named "Hydra". It was called "the Lernaean Hydra" because it had insufficient relevance! Even in common usage, it is understood that it is called "the Hydra", while Tiamat is called by her name.

I beg you, Riot, please swap the names!!!
I don't care if you swap the pictures or not. For the sake of intelligent nerds that play your game. For the sake of non-nerdy players that happen to know mythology. For the sake of promoting intelligence instead of degrading it! Don't make Tiamat inferior to the Hydra! Swap them!

Swap the names!!!
X.x

Majinken

11-30-2012

Big deal...

IonDragonX

11-30-2012

Quote:
Majinken:
Big deal...

Thank you. This is exactly what I meant by saying that Riot is "degrading intelligence".
Despite the fact that you can't argue against my statements, you feel the need to protest logic itself. You provide nothing more than your opinion and your opinion says to me, "I don't care about truth, I am here to be entertained and not to think."
The worst part is that you are fine with that. You don't even know that you present yourself as unintelligent because your attitude states that giving up the use of your mind to another (entertainment) trumps using your mind. (intelligence)

@Riot
Don't make the statement that intelligence is dead or irrelevant.

Taikero

11-30-2012

Mythology lesson appreciated nonetheless, have you considered that perhaps a name is just a name, despite its significance in history?

Must every child named Alexander be mocked because of the antics of his historical namesake or (worse) the terrible movie?

get dat birdman

11-30-2012

Babylonian mythology != Greek mythology. Even as someone who takes interest in ancient mythologies, it could also be that it is, in fact, not a reference to either at all. After all, Hydra can also be a number of other things that may or may not be related to mythology at all. Either way, it isn't a "critical" issue.

Taikero

11-30-2012

The common animal Echidna http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echidna is apparently named after the goddess who birthed the Lernaean Hydra. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echidna_(mythology)

Does this bother you too?

Again, can't a name be just a name, even if it draws from greatness? Can we not stand on the shoulders of giants for both important and small matters? Must grandeur always remain? Can we not tear down that which was once great and mold it into something relevant for our time?

IonDragonX

11-30-2012

Quote:
Taikero:
Mythology lesson appreciated nonetheless, have you considered that perhaps a name is just a name, despite its significance in history?

If it truly is that unimportant to you, then you have no basis to argue why it should stay the same.

By your argument, the items should be name "Toad" and "Wainscoting" because names that describe attributes don't matter at all.

@Riot
If you don't care about the names being correct, then swap the names for the sake of those who do care. The people who don't care will continue not caring and the people who do care won't be annoyed by incorrect names.

get dat birdman

11-30-2012

Quote:
IonDragonX:
names that describe attributes don't matter at all.

Actually, in this case, I'd argue that Hydra is more fitting for the upgrade since the hydra regenerated its heads, and Ravenous Hydra provides a form of regeneration through both life steal and its active in addition to passive regen, whereas Tiamat only provides health regeneration. Food for thought.

Taikero

11-30-2012

Quote:
IonDragonX:
If it truly is that unimportant to you, then you have no basis to argue why it should stay the same.

By your argument, the items should be name "Toad" and "Wainscoting" because names that describe attributes don't matter at all.

@Riot
If you don't care about the names being correct, then swap the names for the sake of those who do care. The people who don't care will continue not caring and the people who do care won't be annoyed by incorrect names.

My point was that just because you feel slighted at a child of a goddess being put above an actual goddess (from two separate, completely unrelated mythologies no less), it doesn't make all that much of a difference.

We know Tiamat represents power and it's a cool sounding name (and some know it represents a goddess). We know Hydra represents AoE damage with regeneration. It makes sense. It's fine. It's just a name (and it happens to be more present in popular culture than Tiamat thanks to movies like Disney's Hercules), and frankly Ravenous Hydra does a pretty good job of describing what the item does.

Really, I understand your frustration, but to everyone else you appear to be making a big deal out of something very small and mostly pointless.

You also haven't suggested a very convincing replacement name for the items. "Ravenous Tiamat" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Also, Babylon mythology is far less known than Greek or even Norse mythology (nobody cares about Norse mythology ;_; ), so it makes sense to use a more commonly understood name for a Tier 3 item.

Zaenos

11-30-2012

I've thought the same thing... but this is hardly a critical issue.