I fail to see how Ziggs fully benefits from Rylai or RoA

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dpaladinx

11-30-2012

Considering the fact that 1) Ziggs's E ability is an AoE effect that applies slow, and 2) He can poke the **** out of other champions with his spells due to the fact that they have relatively long range. I thought Ziggs doesn't need to go close up to do a lot of damage towards the enemy team when it comes to the teamfights. So I put more priority on investing in high AP and CDR on Ziggs has a highest priority instead of survivalbility.

The only defensive items I go with Ziggs is Athene's Unholy Grail, which gives MR, but this is because I need the CDR and good mana regen with Ziggs so I can spam the heck out of his Q (which also syngerizes well with Tears of the Goddess which I often upgrade it to Archangel's Staff). In fact, with the combination of Rabadon's Cap, Grail, Archangel's Staff and the right runes and masteries, I often can get around 600 AP with Ziggs. If I want survivalbility with Ziggs, I find Will of the Ancients to be a better item than Rylai's because of spell vamp.

The only thing that I can see the full benefit of Rylai's and Rod of Ages is when I'm playing a mage that needs to go close up to do lots of hurt towards the enemy team (Annie, Ryze, Malazahar, Vladimir, and Kennen are a few examples) or playing as a gap-closer AP melee assassin (Fizz, Katarina, or Akali). Though I would have to say that Kennen and Vladimir wouldn't benefit from Rod of Ages at all since they don't use mana and Fizz (but they still benefit with Rylai's) benefits the Malady/Nashor's Tooth combo along with Rylai's, Rabadon, and Rod of the Ages.

The reason I asked is I played one game where I was doing well in mid lane and Ahri got a bit fed because my team is a bit stupid to slightly back off when I said "mid mia." Our jungler told me to get Rylai's even though I was prioritizing building Rabadon's (I got Chalice and Tears of the Goddess as my first items with early game farming). Regardless, when manage to win the game because we were smart enough to push hard whenever there is an opportunity, playing a bit defensively near the tower, and ganking the enemy each one of them (not to mention our team's Fiora managed to be fed as well). But then I could see why I may need some defensive items. My death ratio is higher than my kill ratio, but I had a lot of assists due to my right timing using my ultimate.

tl;dr: I fail to see Ziggs, like most long range mages, would need Rylai's and Rod of Ages as they are better off building CDR items and pure AP. These items are better mages with shorter range or AP melee assassins who need a bit of survivalbility along with AP power.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-30-2012

Fair enough. Try going for Haunted Guise and upgrade to Torch (or torment or whatever its called in SR). That gets you some extra health, your needed CDR, mpen, AP, and since Ziggs has a lot of Poke, the 5% burn is pretty helpful.

Skoonie

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrrrax View Post
Fair enough. Try going for Haunted Guise and upgrade to Torch (or torment or whatever its called in SR). That gets you some extra health, your needed CDR, mpen, AP, and since Ziggs has a lot of Poke, the 5% burn is pretty helpful.
Haunting Guise doesn't upgrade to anything in SR until the Season 3 changes are implemented. Otherwise, I agree with the OP; Rylai's isn't necessary on Ziggs, especially since he already has a built-in slow with his minefield. Prioritizing CDR and AP is a must with him.