A few honest questions for you, Riot.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

lnrael

12-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by riotdamiya View Post
this may be related to the quarter window bug that has been plaguing everyone for a while now. I developed a reproduction on that and a game engineer is investigating. Once we get that fixed, can we see about recreating your issue?
omg please

Damiya

Technical Analyst

12-01-2012
7 of 12 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnrael View Post
omg please
I hate this bug with the passion of a thousand suns.

Unfortunately it's been a pain to reproduce because it only affects certain CPUs and only in a very strange obscure way under specific conditions.

We have an awesome team of Game Engineers, and thankfully there's one of them tackling it now. I can't offer an ETA, but know that it's on the radar.

Ethoras

12-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotDamiya View Post
Ok. Game client stuff is way outside my field,so I can't speak to this issue but I will try and flag down a Game Analyst to look into the issues you guys are reporting with the load screen.

For the record, I'm not directly a QA person working on the Air Client/PVP.net so I can't promise I can drive results on this stuff immediately; I have my own very, very full plate. But I work in a roughly related team so I will do the best I can.

It sounds like you may not be exiting cleanly. When you exit next time, can you hit CTRL-SHIFT-ESCAPE and get a list of the running processes? Specifically looking for: rads_user_kernel, jojodiff, jojopatch, lolclient, league of legends, and so on.

I just realised I don't have a public facing email address without my real name on it, so I won't be able to take logs on this stuff until Monday, but I'll see if I can come up with an alternative.

I've had this problem only running on Windows 8, since Adobe doesn't seem to like to.

Ozmega

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-01-2012

now that the topic is on, sometimes when i tab/tab back to the game i get bugsplats...
only happens on league of legends btw. why is this? im afraid to tab the game (i do this on loading screens mostly)

im on win7 no lol replay (btw 3 years now and we still depend on third party software to watch replays?) no lol nothing.

Kanaya Maryam

12-01-2012

Why can't you guys at Riot create a simplified launcher? Not everyone is interested in watching other matches. Some of us read the news posts before we first hit "Play League of Legends." Not everyone wants to shop outside of patch days. Seems like a simpler launcher would be an easy, if not temporary, solution.

Foxy Ylla

12-01-2012

Thanks for the info Damiya. Hopefully we can get this stuff fixed. Whenever the match is about to start, I have to close everything I can't have anything but LoL and vent open, or else it'll crash and I'll have to restart completely.

Ozmega

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozmega View Post
now that the topic is on, sometimes when i tab/tab back to the game i get bugsplats...
only happens on league of legends btw. why is this? im afraid to tab the game (i do this on loading screens mostly)

im on win7, amd user, no lol replay (btw 3 years now and we still depend on third party software to watch replays?) no lol nothing.
updated with more info

Ozmega

12-01-2012

bamp?

IS1697eea10cc58a812a603

12-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamp13 View Post
1. you're being punished for being too lazy to figure out what the problem is, because its likely on your end.

2. because some people rage and they need to learn not to. and they're more common than the 1 in 32 million players that have computer issues.

3. because afks equally suck in both queues.

4. boobs are awesome.
gtfo.

Kakyoin Noriaki

12-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotDamiya View Post
Without more information I can't tell you what's going on. I would assume that the Windows Update has no affect and it's the restart that's mattering, but that's just a guess.

I understand how frustrating it is to crash; it sucks, they're our top priority bug fix. If we get a report of a crash bug, we investigate and try to get it locked down and fixed asap.

Unfortunately I can't do a whole lot with a message that says "I crash, then I use windows update and restart, and I think I crash less". I'm not giving you a hard time, but look at it from the perspective of myself or another QA person: how on earth do I figure out what the deal is based on that info?

There is a known stability issue with the Air Client that manifests intermittently When using Windows 8 and LoLRecorder/LoLReplay: it will crash, but only sometimes. And not always in the same way.

That's the only stability issue that we've been able to see as a recurrant behavior. If you guys can help me find more, I'm happy to push as hard as I can to get things handled.
Oh, I didn't expect Good Girl Damiya to actually respond seriously to my post, haha. That's why I wasn't being as specific. Well then, in that case...

Details: I'm running Windows 7 64-bit on all computers. I seem to get these issues on both my desktop and laptop, both of which have very different hardware sets. I can post more information about the hardware if needed. I don't have LoLReplay running when I experience these issues.

The problem: The "Disconnected from PVP.net" red warning message starts to appear in the client in the upper-left corner, and it appears often. When this starts to happen, there seem to be problems with communication between my LoL client and the LoL servers. If I'm in a queue, the queue time will freeze while the red message is present. It's like a client/server desync. When I see the red warning message often, this is an indicator that things are about to go wrong, because I use my university's wired internet at school and my family's Comcast wired internet at home, and both are almost always very stable (I can do other internet-related things while experiencing the Lol client trouble, which is why I suspect the client). Afterwards, the following may happen:
a. Client crashes because the Air client stops working for some reason. Windows pops up with a small window letting me know this information. I never documented the error messages though. This may randomly happen during any instances in part b below.
b. If I continue to try to join queue and play games, his sometimes results in any of the following:
i. If I'm queueing with friends: The "Disconnected from PVP.net" red bubble will appear and cause me to "desync" from the others. In other words, I see the others in the chat leave for the Champion Select screen, and I am seemingly stuck in the chat and still in queue. It's like limbo, only with an in-queue duration counter.
ii. I reach Champion Select and I am not able to choose my Champion, masteries, rune pages or summoner spells for an extended period of time due to "Retrieving data from server" or some error message like that. May cause me to desync from the game and make me auto queue dodge as a result, also possibly crashing my client or freezing me in the Champion Selection screen even though it should be gone and the loading screen should have popped up by now.
iii. I reach Champion Select and I am able to choose my Champion, masteries, rune pages or summoner spells, but when the loading screen tries to come up I instantly bugsplat. No amount of restarting the client will allow me to reach the loading screen because either a) PVP.net Patcher crashing before I even log in, b) freezing at login after entering my login information and clicking Log In (mouse vanishes), or c) Bugsplat before loading screen appears. This 'endless bugsplat' has earned me at least three Leaves by now, and it's very frustrating. I submitted two bug splat reports about this, #36052419 and #34519714, through the Bugsplat submission window.
iv. If I am somehow able to get into a game and play, sometimes the LoL client will crash and I'll get a Windows message window that pops up mid-game to tell me that it's stopped working (rude). Regardless of what I choose to do with it, my game continues on. The in-game client seems to work, but after the game ends the LoL client does not pop up at all. I have to stop the "current instance of LoL" first, then log in again, and the game stats are all there in my Match History (but it skips over the Results screen from the game I just played).

Observations:
a. The problem usually happens after leaving my computer on for too long, or sleeping it at night instead of shutting it down over an extended period of time (maybe for about 5-6 days?). Before anyone criticizes me for it, please understand that I should not have these issues at all in the first place, at least not every 1.5-2ish weeks. It seems to me that such a frequent dependency on Windows Updates being current is the sign of a poor LoL client implementation, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
b. Applying the latest Windows Updates and then restarting my computer seems to fix the problem entirely...for the time being.
c. Restarting my computer without updating with Windows Update does not solve the problem. I have to update and then restart. I know this because once I had the 'endless pre-loading-screen bugsplat' issue and I tried to hurriedly restart my computer so I could join my friend in the game. I opened Windows Updates, saw that there were at least 18 of them (can't remember the optional/necessary breakdown) and thought "maybe just restarting would help." Nope, it didn't. Still bugsplats prior to loading screen even when trying to rejoin the game after relogging.

Sorry Damiya, I didn't record any error messages. If I encounter some soon, I can update this post with them.