Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

A few honest questions for you, Riot.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MonkOfDarkness

12-03-2012

@ gypsylord
Why is there an ELO deduction when there are one or members on any given team AFK?

1. Toxic players, thats anyone who abuses others game experience.... you have that regardless since yours so popular. reduced elo for people who dont disconnect and sum of reductions added to elo loss of the AFK is appropriate and would help... if players are abusing someone to make them quit, then they are doing it for a reason. Not EVERY person would on a team and the person who is thinking of quiting isnt someone your trying to protect the Right to AFK???

not having any added consequences for AFK/Leaving, is fostering the idea because if person feels they are going to lose they will just quit instead of waiting or trying even.... I have Xcom Great game... but if i know im going to lose like Kog, Cait, Trist in a team, in a ranked game id rather play the game. then quit it mid game to avoid the 1 HR ban, and wait the 20minutes for other team to beat us while im AFK..... sound about right?

wheres the logic in this?( ps probs shoulda done it last game woulda saved 40minutes for next game )

Who is Sexy

12-03-2012

Quote:
Damiya:
Quote:
Ask Tyrant Swain;31981613:
Hey Damiya, while you're already here, I wish to inform you about something.
While the match is starting, when the PvP.net client closes and then the little ''League of Legends'' logo appears and then the loading screen shows up. Well, while the LoL logo is shown, before the Loading screen appears, if I click anywhere with my mouse or press any button on the keyboard it will bug and stop, preventing the Loading screen from showing up. And to add insult to injury, the PvP.net client states that the game is currently running so I have to turn it off and restart the whole sequence.
It's quite annoying.

This may be related to the quarter window bug that has been plaguing everyone for a while now. I developed a reproduction on that and a Game Engineer is investigating. Once we get that fixed, can we see about recreating your issue?

This happens to me all the time. Right after lobby and before the game goes to the Loading screen, I like to chat on skype or navigate on the forum but doing so somehow interupt loading and stop the game; forcing me to close and restart, starting 3 levels behind

Black Blackness

12-03-2012

Quote:
Damiya:
While I can't speak to the questions beyond the scope of the air client, I would like to know a little bit about what you did to make it crash.

You said you were in a ranked lobby; were you running LoLReplay or LolRecorder? Are you on Windows 8?

it happens to everyone i have windows 7 dont use lolreplay/recorder

Steadfast

12-03-2012

How about a middle of the road suggestion.

Each week if you play X games (e.g. 10) your entitiled to one lost forgiven from your current history. So it is something done outside of the game, click on your history and a button says "Loss Forgiven"

Wont impact games internally with poeple trying to get you to quit etc which seems to worry riot so much (despite ignore being easy to turn on /shrug)

This should make up for the odd afk/feeder/griefer etc.

Care Bot

12-03-2012

I would give information on the exact circumstances of client crashes unfortunately I've had so many crashes in different situation across multiple computers, hardware and operative systems that it would probably be easier to list the times the client haven't been a buggy unstable pos that I can't believe you're still using this far into the game's development.

Sylvr

12-03-2012

Quote:
gypsylord:
I'm not Dr. Professor Scientists Magician Lyte.

I love how Lyte's title gets longer every time someone mentions it.

ExceedingLimits

12-03-2012

Quote:
gypsylord:
1. That's not a bad idea at first glance. Would certainly be nice to have a "dodge forgiven" once a week to account for tech problems. Still not sure it would work. A change like this would increase the dodge rate. If you know you have a dodge forgiven you're more likely to use it when things don't go your way in champ select.

The question to ask is, "Would the benefit of this change for those who have legitimate reasons to hop out of queue be worth the increase in dodges as a whole?" I can't really answer this as I'm not Dr. Professor Scientists Magician Lyte or Research God Davin, they have superior insight into player behavior.

2. Allow me to apologize. Reading back over my post I see how the tone could be interpreted as a tad disrespectful. That was not my intent. Was just trying to provide a metaphor.

3. I'd just be hesitant to get behind something that could potentially increase the toxicity of the LoL player base by any meaningful margin. Would loss forgiven for AFK's have this effect? I'm not sure TBH. My experience playing on losing teams in other games that have systems like this tells me that it would. Lyte or Davin would probably know more.

I just want to talk a little about part #3. This been something that's irked me for a while and I hate it when someone disconnects from a game during ranked(all other modes, big deal if you lose). So I've been trying to think of a way to have a "Loss Forgiven" option that players could use to save some Elo in the random event of people disconnecting. I know at the end of the game players who've disconnected have their names in red, so obviously the game can detect a leave.

So my idea is there should be an option at the end of a game to forgive a loss if you chose to. Let's say you have 5 people on team X. You have Players A, B, C, D, E. "A" disconnects from the game forcing players B, C, D, E to fight out a grueling 4v5 of which they lose. Players now have a prompt at the of the game to chose whether or not they would like the loss the be forgiven. If any players (B, C, D, E) select yes, both the players who select "yes" and the person who disconnected have this loss prevented option removed for "Y" amount of time. Could be 24 hours, 48 hours, etc.

The key thing to note is, Player "A" will not have the loss forgiven. The leaver or leavers will never have a loss forgiven and will also forfeit their right to a loss forgiven option for "Y" time. Also to note, once the "loss forgiven" has been used by player A, or any players who selected yes for the loss forgiven, no further players from ANY further games will be allowed to have a loss forgiven for "Y" time as well. This means that if players B, C, and D all selected to have their loss forgiven, if they disconnect from a game in "Y" time no one from their game will be allowed to have a loss forgiven.

This may be a little confusing but I hope I've explain my idea a little and I have absolutely no idea if it holds any merit, but I also realize there has to be very strict guidelines to prevent "loss forgiveness" from running rampant.

Sociopath2012

12-03-2012

Quote:
Damiya:
I hate this bug with the passion of a thousand suns.

Unfortunately it's been a pain to reproduce because it only affects certain CPUs and only in a very strange obscure way under specific conditions.

We have an awesome team of Game Engineers, and thankfully there's one of them tackling it now. I can't offer an ETA, but know that it's on the radar.

Do you want my logs? This happens to me 8 out of 10 games a day, everyday. I'm running an 8 core AMD bulldozer 4.2GHz on windows 7 64 bit.

S0rter

12-03-2012

I have the solution to all the issues currently present: stop using Air! Why was it decided to go this route instead of like any other game out there: the exe directly launches the game. If you want to have all of those menus currently available on the Air client they can easily be recreated.

Augratafier

12-03-2012

Quote:
S0rter:
I have the solution to all the issues currently present: stop using Air! Why was it decided to go this route instead of like any other game out there: the exe directly launches the game. If you want to have all of those menus currently available on the Air client they can easily be recreated.

It would take a lot of resources to convert the code to another language and compile a new launcher. Then, every single player would have to download a new client. And just because they switch to a different language doesn't mean the problems will go away or new problems won't come up.