A few honest questions for you, Riot.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ixioran

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsylord View Post
Hmmm, it seems I have been misunderstood. That comment was not directed at Ixorian.

It was directed at this charming fellow:

Perhaps I should have included the actual quote. Will edit original post for clarity.
I understood because I neither played ranked in Season 2 nor do I play Kassadin, but I guess someone else may misconstrue the comment. Bad Luck Gypsylord, it seems.

JoBiden

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-02-2012

If damiya is still lurking here, i get the same issue where the air client will crash if left idle too long. Windows doesnt realise it has crashed until i try to interact with it. I can't remember for certain, but i think it only crashes if i try to press play, profile, or any of the other top bar buttons. I am running windows 7 with LoLReplay, and i also tend to have skype and chrome open. My antivirus is Avast. not sure how much of the last info will help, but hopefully it gives you new insight! thank you for the hard work.

edit: If i try to x out during the crash, i will get a loading gif before I am forced to ctrl+alt+delete or wait for windows to recognise the crash and prompt me to kill it.

Venaccio

12-02-2012

I have a problem with the AIR client: If I stay on the login screen for too long the game crashes.

ploki122

12-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venaccio View Post
I have a problem with the AIR client: If I stay on the login screen for too long the game crashes.
Same here, but sometimes, too long is much shorter... one thing for sure, it's leaving it there idle that kills it...

SlyTheFoxx

12-02-2012

I got a good question!

How come while I'm playing LoL (During matches) the game Minimizes on it's own and goes back to the desktop screen. I haven't noticed any correlation of characters/toons or any instances between deaths, or using abilities. Most of the time I'm just walking somewhere or I'm in a fight (which is the majority of what you're doing in LoL, walking somewhere or fighting something)

I run windows 7 on a Emachine E528. This has also happened to a few other people and I'm noticing online 90% of it is players with laptops.

The screen just goes black and minimizes to your desk top, as if you hit the window key (which i'm 100% certain I'm not doing) I've also realized that If I use the mousepad instead of a mouse... if I use the side of the mouse pad that scrolls bars up and down while in game (On accident while i'm moving the cursor around) it will also trigger this "return to desktop effect"

All that being said, It still happens from time to time even if i'm using a mouse. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it happens once early game it's bound to happen again multiple times throughout the match. I don't see it all the time, but when it does happen it's very annoying and has resulted in a handful of deaths and many more lost kills.

Ixioran

12-02-2012

Well, all misunderstandings considered, I am satisfied by the answers I've been given, and am now bored. By any chance, are you down for some games, gypsylord?

:3

Shimozuu

12-03-2012

IF Its still needed i put my 2 cents here,

I get the crash sometimes, when i login to the game, after i hit log in, it freeze and crashes( air adobe not responding), or the same message, awhile loading screen should come up( so after champ select) however, the game doesnt start then, and i get the dodge penalty.

Im using W8 and lolrecorder/lolreplay

Ixioran

12-03-2012

I'm actually gonna get some rest now. Maybe some other time. If any of the Legends Among Men mentioned by gypsylord pop in, I would appreciate to hear some of your comments as well. Night all.

Benadryl Jackson

12-03-2012

And to think that not long ago such a crash would result in ELO loss!

SquirtleSenpai

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsylord View Post
I can give some insight into some of these.

Why do you even have a queue ban when you know that things like this can happen and shut players undeserving of this punishment out of the queue?
Because without a queue dodge penalty people would be dodging games like crazy whenever things didn't go their way. Does this sometimes adversely affect people who don't deserve it? Yes. This is not ideal and we work hard make sure it happens as little as possible.

Why does the time ban count for both queues?
I imagine it's an incentives thing. I'd guess players would be much more willing to dodge if they were allowed to continue playing afterwards. You're queuing for ranked and you get a team you don't like. "Oh well I'll just dodge and go play a normal." Ranked dodging is already enough of a problem as it is, this would just make it worse. It sucks spending 8 minutes picking champs only to get sent back into queue.

How do you justify dedicating large amounts of resources to developing champions with fishboobs when your game and servers are constantly having technical issues?

Oh no! There was a big crash on the highway and tons of people are in need of surgery. Quick! Go round up the town dentists and get them into the operating room.

Fun story right? Also ridiculous. Most dentists can't perform open heart surgery. Similarly, the people we hire to make champions (like me) do not necessarily have the skills required to do things that ensure server stability.

It's also not like Riot is keeping me around at the expense of hiring qualified engineers. We've got the resources. Amazing engineers are just very hard to come by. Supply < Demand.

Why is there an ELO deduction when there are one or members on any given team AFK?
Because giving a free loss forgiven to a team with an AFK introduces exploits and incentivises bad behavior.

Got counter picked in lane while playing with friends? Pull your LAN cable. You'll lose elo but at least your buddy won't.

Support feeding and doing poorly? Ensure you don't lose ELO by yelling at him until he AFK's.

After seeing your season 2 win rate on Kassadin I really have to ask...

Do you even rift?
hello, i have a suggestion on the last issues suggested by OP. as a fellow ranked player like yourself, having the option of loss forgiven isn't a completely bad idea. But make it available only for the first 10 placement games. throughout my experience and extensive research, the first ten games are crucial to players looking into ranked, a leaver during this time can affect players by dropping them 30-40 elo for faults that were not theres. An example would be at the beginning of pre-season(day after soft reset) many players experienced the highest rate of leavers due to the fact that everybody is on their placement match. if you would like i could start a poll and collect the necessary data that back up my claim. So as i was saying, make it available during your first 10 placement matches if an occurance of a leaver or afker at beginning of the match occurs. then completely remove it after your placement matches, if you are set in an elo you dont belong, it'll adjust itself out. Let me restate that this is an idea/suggestion. criticism are welcome