GYUP - Who should be Yordle - Amumu or Nunu?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JonouchiChan

02-28-2014

I understand that with the recent appearance of the Heimerdinger Visual Upgrade(For great reference!), there was a recently jolted talk about discussions of what the rework team is planning to do with all of the Yordles. I also understand that Amumu was at one point changed from being a mummified child to actually being a Yordle himself. I know that there probably already has been a significant amount of discussion on the subject, but I for one love Amumu as he is - not to say that he doesn't need a little spit and polish, but that I love Amumu's character of a sad Yordle, or even an ancestor of the current Yordle race similar to Fizz, that was left behind in the sands of time and emerged in the new world in the wastes of Shurima with no memory of those who buried them there. He can be as upset and off-putting as he wants, he can even look a little dead, but I do love him being a Yordle more than I do a human, because it gives the Yordle race some background flavor that one could explore about their past on Runeterra, as well as connecting them to great civilizations the world over that didn't stand the test of time, unlike Bandle City.

Now, that said, I wouldn't be emotionally devastated if they revoked Amumu's Yordle Pass, but only if they gave it to somebody else.

Which is why I think that if they're going to take away Amumu's Yordle-hood then they should in turn give it to Nunu to balance the scales.

Nunu to me has no real thematic flavor: After reading his lore what sticks out to me is that he's a clairvoyant Innuit or Elf or something who tamed a yeti. Which is cool, but it just feels like there's something more they could play with there. A new angle of the sort. There's no immediate rep for Freljord from Bandle City and vice versa, so it's perfectly logical that Nunu could be both an Emissary of the Freljord and either a descendant or directly related to Yordles from Bandle City. Besides, he kind of has that awkward anatomy with the round head and the oval body with the long twig arms that isn't doing him much justice, so to make him a Yordle would probably give him some more anatomical playing room, as well as a decent foreground to visually upgrade him, so that they don't have to stick with trying to preserve the look he's already got.

So I've come to see what everybody else thinks of this situation; Considering that it's lore-heavy and not really so much a deciding factor of the champions assuming their gameplay will remain largely the same, would you rather have Amumu or Nunu be a Yordle? Of course the option to both let Amumu stay a Yordle and make Nunu a Yordle so that it's a win-win is totally acceptable, but I'd like to see what you all think of the situation assuming that only one of them could get it; Which do you think would be thematically stronger, which would provide more exploration into both Yordles while providing an idea or assisting in fleshing out the lore background of the area(s) they represent, and most importantly; Which one would do you think would be cuter as a Yordle?

SecretLore

02-28-2014

Well Nunu is a yeti rider,which is themtically complete concept,also he is a former member of the frostguard,which is interesting as he is currently the only person from the frostguard in the game(besides lissandra herself obviously) and another problem is that they'd need to turn him more furry if they changed him into a yordle,because currently all male yordles are rather furry(and those that aren't are changed to look more furry)

In amumus case I think being a yordle was never really fitting in the first place either,he doesn't look like one and being a child mummy is kinda more unique,not to mention makes him more...childish(making the sad part of his character even sadder and making his relationship with annie more fitting)

I'd say they both shouldn't be yordles

Kumii

02-28-2014

Amumu is a yordle. Nunu is not.

JonouchiChan

02-28-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumii View Post
Amumu is a yordle. Nunu is not.
I think it'd be a good idea to edit your post with more reasoning to support that; When I first read your post I was almost confused that you might have not read the topic to understand the question I was asking.

But I am glad that your choice is strong and confident in the direction that the lore has already rooted itself into. That is perfectly valid to invest belief in!

Gentleman Gaston

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-28-2014

Here's an interesting quote from the IronStylus AMA on the OCE forums:

Quote:
My hunch, and this is just based on trends I'm seeing now, is that we abandon Amumu being a yordle and just make him the sad mummy boy. I think that's a compelling story on it's own. Not sure why we piled yordle on top of that to begin with...

Trolosaurus

02-28-2014

Amumu was retconned into a Yordle for no seeming reason

Gentleman Gaston

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolosaurus View Post
Amumu was retconned into a Yordle for no seeming reason
The reason I've heard, and I know this could just be rumor, but that Riot felt queasy with having a dead human child being a playable character.

SchaakaKon

03-01-2014

I've always found it odd that Aumumu is a Yordle. Take the sizes of Aumumu and Annie being children of both respected races and they are the same size (which must make it impossibly hard for the Yordle women at child birth).

If Nunn wwas retconed into a Yordle, it would be awkward having a furry Yordle riding a furry Yeti. It'll just be a ball of hair throwing snowballs.

But atm Amumu is the only legitimate Yordle jungler (ofc Poppy and Heimerdinger can jungle but you do have to be lucky for ganks) so turning Amumu into a human would ruin my all Yordle ranked 5's team..

Kumii

03-01-2014

My apologies for not explaining myself.

Nunu in lore, was originally a female who had the power to sap heat from the air to create ice. After a Over time, Riot changed Nunu's lore (and gender) so that Nunu came from the Frostguard. That being said, yourdles originate from Bandle City. If we assume that Nunu was a yourdle, he'd be quite off his bonkers since he'd be isolated from his kind for such a long time.

SecretLore

03-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumii View Post
My apologies for not explaining myself.

Nunu in lore, was originally a female who had the power to sap heat from the air to create ice. After a Over time, Riot changed Nunu's lore (and gender) so that Nunu came from the Frostguard. That being said, yourdles originate from Bandle City. If we assume that Nunu was a yourdle, he'd be quite off his bonkers since he'd be isolated from his kind for such a long time.
No nunu was originally a boy,then he was changed into a girl and then back into a boy....
Yeah I think they should simply stick with him being a human boy,the way he was created first